English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 July 2021, 00:51   #1
OldAmigan
Professional old fart!

Shout-out for RetroPassion

I ordered a 3.2 ROM chip for my A500 from RetroPassion, which I got yesterday and have installed.

A couple of weeks ago I got OS3.2 plus the ROM chips for my A1200. One of them was longer than the other, presumably a 27c800 (more memory space, an extra 2 pins). I asked about it and they said they would replace it, but as I had other problems with the machine at the time, I said to leave it for now.

They sent a replacement with my order anyway. So that's ideal customer service, guys. Top shop
Old 25 July 2021, 16:37   #2
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAmigan View Post
I ordered a 3.2 ROM chip for my A500 from RetroPassion, which I got yesterday and have installed.

A couple of weeks ago I got OS3.2 plus the ROM chips for my A1200. One of them was longer than the other, presumably a 27c800 (more memory space, an extra 2 pins). I asked about it and they said they would replace it, but as I had other problems with the machine at the time, I said to leave it for now.

They sent a replacement with my order anyway. So that's ideal customer service, guys. Top shop

What Steve Clifford got something right?

You were lucky.
Old 25 July 2021, 16:57   #3
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Yeah, Steve is great. Had a awesome A1200 recapping job doen by him. And do go for the sonic clean, it makes the machine look brand new.
Old 25 July 2021, 17:03   #4
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Yeah, Steve is great. Had a awesome A1200 recapping job doen by him. And do go for the sonic clean, it makes the machine look brand new.
You were lucky too

Not so lucky for a person who sent him an Amiga A4000 board and Daughterboard for recap and repair to the sound only for it to go missing!

Luckily this guys boards turned up with me, with Mr Clifford not bothering to help!

Also the kicker was he hadn’t fixed the sound problem
Old 29 July 2021, 00:48   #5
stairmand

I sent him my 4000 for recap a couple of weeks back. He's not exactly quick, or that communicative.
Old 29 July 2021, 10:40   #6
DJ Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
Not so lucky for a person who sent him an Amiga A4000 board and Daughterboard for recap and repair to the sound only for it to go missing!
So it arrived with him and then went missing?
Old 29 July 2021, 18:35   #7
stevelord

To be fair, getting AmigaOS 3.2 shipped wouldn't have been easy and I believe it's his first time doing a volume product.

My roms worked fine. The OS worked fine. Can't complain really. I know there were issues with rom suppliers that must've been... interesting.

I was sent an email saying my order had been shipped, but nothing happened for a week. I emailed saying Royal Mail have probably lost it and to look at the claims process. He told me the notification is sent when they print the label, but mine had been dropped off at the sorting office that very morning.

I don't think there's an issue with Retropassion beyond the general state of Amiga vendors who still operate as though it was the 90s. I can completely accept that a one-man band who normally does repairs could get completely overwhelmed with an incredibly popular item. I'm happy that he didn't cut corners either, that's how you get Amigastore-grade roms.

If Retropassion were to do more product orders, they should consider:
  1. Package items up and hold but do the labels on the day they're being shipped instead of a week before, or notify customers the labels were printed but won't be shipped for a week.
  2. Add a hello-bar to the site for popular items to direct people to a shipping update blog tag page instead of using the contact us form. That way he just has to post an update tagged "shipping" and it's all in one place, most recent update first.
  3. Weekly shipping update on the same day (maybe monday) to that blog for any volume items being delayed or shipped.
  4. Don't get into the habit of selling out of stock items as in stock.
  5. Get a basic ticketing system for support queries and spend a certain amount of time a day on it (ie get all the responses for the day in one go).
If they could manage some of that they'd be way ahead of Amigakit et al. Heck I'd even be prepared to help set some of that up if it was useful.
Old 01 August 2021, 01:24   #8
liquidsmoke

ive ordered 3.2 and some a1200 roms from him
looks like ive got to wait a week or so longer for them.

i had a new psu from him before. was delivered ok.

i find i get my questions answered much quicker if i use facebook messaging

his websites submit ticket system seems to get ignored.

wish he had an option for faster delivery. he seems to use 2nd class post for stuff.
Old 07 August 2021, 04:15   #9
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike View Post
So it arrived with him and then went missing?
It arrived with him. Then stupidly sent it to me as he had an old box I sent boards to him a few years back.
Left the owner to work out where it went and couldn’t be bothered
Old 07 August 2021, 04:17   #10
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
ive ordered 3.2 and some a1200 roms from him
looks like ive got to wait a week or so longer for them.

i had a new psu from him before. was delivered ok.

i find i get my questions answered much quicker if i use facebook messaging

his websites submit ticket system seems to get ignored.

wish he had an option for faster delivery. he seems to use 2nd class post for stuff.
He’s too busy doing YouTube interviews and sending freebie stuff to get YouTube influencers to big him up
Old 07 August 2021, 06:51   #11
aeberbach

Got my AmigaOS 3.2 quickly enough. Next order I’ll use them again.
Old 23 August 2021, 22:55   #12
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
It arrived with him. Then stupidly sent it to me as he had an old box I sent boards to him a few years back.
Left the owner to work out where it went and couldn’t be bothered

We have replied to this in another thread this evening as you actually told only half the story and this happened in 2019.

And checking how much you have gone out of your way to 'stoke' the fire of posts to do with us is a little concerning and we are asking why would someone do this, why would someone be so bitter to go out of their way and tell half truths and to even mention about youtube mentions like they are in a playground? I'm really sorry but its just very odd behavior, the last time we dealt with you as a customer was 2/3 years ago and we were on good terms? And now your doing this?

Anyway we have some great things happening at RetroPassion which need our focus and we are really sorry you feel like you do about us.
Old 24 August 2021, 19:49   #13
Gordon
Settler

You are dealing with hundreds of pounds worth of equipment, so it’s no wonder when you make a mistake and show lack of concern, the victim is going to ‘stoke’ the fire. I have seen other people make more recent reports about poor and slow service, so the year it happened is irrelevant. I mention service so let me be clear I haven’t heard anyone say you have done a bad recap, just the slowness and the losses. You keep saying ‘we’ so I hope you do now have some help to organise your work.
Old 24 August 2021, 20:49   #14
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
You are dealing with hundreds of pounds worth of equipment, so it’s no wonder when you make a mistake and show lack of concern, the victim is going to ‘stoke’ the fire. I have seen other people make more recent reports about poor and slow service, so the year it happened is irrelevant. I mention service so let me be clear I haven’t heard anyone say you have done a bad recap, just the slowness and the losses. You keep saying ‘we’ so I hope you do now have some help to organise your work.
The victim was not JPor it was another person which JPor knows, however JPor was the one who got the board by mistake (which was not our fault as you have read up above and I will cover in more detail below).

The lack of concern is simply untrue but i guess it adds to the 'story'. The fact was when I was notified I was straight on the order, then tracking, I had no number for the address it was sent to, I tried looking up on the internet to try and find a number but the websites were all ones which you had to pay (which I was happy to do) and also planned to send a letter and all this time the owner and myself was in constant email comms. However it was the A4k owner who then did a landsearch (never thought of that) and found out who it was and it was JPor which I believe sold him the board in the first place or a board of some sort in which the packing/box was used to send the A4k board to us with JPor return address on it and this was resolved in a morning as the owner was going to sort out the return with JPor directly.

Also I will add JPor has been busy on a negative streak about AmigaKit, and AmigaStore and he is clear how he feels about resellers so we won't be spending any more time on this, we will be there if he is economical with the truth again, there are always two sides...
Old 25 August 2021, 00:37   #15
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAmigan View Post

Thank you just seen this! :-)
Old 25 August 2021, 00:38   #16
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Thank you, again only just seen this, it would be great to be tagged :-)