English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which is the best Turrican-version?
Turrican 3 for the Amiga 28 54.90%
Mega Turrican for the Genesis 17 33.33%
All version SUCK!! >=( 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05 January 2009, 01:04   #21
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Better sound on the Mega Drive?
yes,in this rare case yes.....believe it or not

I think because the music was made originally for the megadrive sound chip
test the game using any emulator and you will see
Old 05 January 2009, 01:09   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's doubtless one of the best Mega Drive music ever, besides Yuzo Koshiros Street of Rage or The Revenge of Shinobi. But the Amiga tracks sounds much better.
Old 05 January 2009, 01:24   #23
laser
Banned

Quote:
It's doubtless one of the best Mega Drive music ever, besides Yuzo Koshiros Street of Rage or The Revenge of Shinobi. But the Amiga tracks sounds much better.
both games sounds great....it's taste
but main difference are the colors and the lack of backgrounds...the amiga version lacks some colors and all backgrounds....it's a downgrade port
Old 05 January 2009, 01:28   #24
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It was highly demanded by the Amiga fans. Yes, it was a rushed port, compared to the development phase of the Genesis version. But they did a good job in the short amount of time they had.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 05 January 2009 at 05:02.
Old 05 January 2009, 02:44   #25
Adropac2
Zone Friend

CH much preferred writing music for the Amiga i once read and i guess it was because of being able to closer match what he originally intended for these songs.I doubt he wrote on console first over the system he loved the most.

In comparison the Amiga tracks for the Turricans are richer than console versions yet those are still well converted - this wasn't normally the case when it came to Amiga translations it seems
Old 05 January 2009, 04:10   #26
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

A funny detail: The Amiga game is a port, but it was released one year before the Genesis version.
Old 05 January 2009, 04:43   #27
EmuChicken

you ever thought that the red glowy thing in the hand wasnt them bombs he drops?
Old 05 January 2009, 12:16   #28
Old Fool
Zone Friend

If Turrican 1 would be as good as the first levels I would wote this! Later the game starts to be repeating and level design is somewhat like generated with some sort of automatic level generator. Anyway I like all Turricans so no competition for now

Well in fact I haven't played Super Turrican with NES: I've heard it is a poo game...
Old 05 January 2009, 13:11   #29
john4p
Competition Moderator

Mega Turrican has twice as many colours and better gameplay.

The underwater boss moves differently and is harder.

The gliders above the scrapyard don't move in the Amiga version. They do move in Mega Turrican (making this part way more interesting and challenging).

The first boss of the final world (the two guns moving in a circle) is broken on the Amiga: you can stand on the right side of the middle platform without ever being hit by the cannons' shots - on the Mega Drive there is no such safe spot thus making the boss more challenging.

Also the walker boss in the final world is easier in Turrican 3.

Only the music and sound fx are (a lot) better in Turrican 3.

Conclusion: Mega Turrican is the better game.

In comparison Turrican 3 feels like a beta-version.

The perfect version of this game would be Mega Turrican with Turrican 3's sound.

Last edited by john4p; 01 July 2021 at 14:51. Reason: grammar
Old 05 January 2009, 13:16   #30
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
The perfect version of this game would be Mega Turrican with Turrican 3's sound.
...and no hook/rope, but instead the good old surround shot Never played Mega Turrican enough to notice the difference. Guess I should have a closer look (if I can stand the hook/rope this time...)
Old 05 January 2009, 15:23   #31
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post

Well in fact I haven't played Super Turrican with NES: I've heard it is a poo game...
It is a poo game. The graphics are impressive, but the controls and strange scrolling destroys everything. It's more like a Turrican 1 port on the NES.
Old 05 January 2009, 16:48   #32
Raging Rabbit

Quote:

Although being a big Amiga fan I have to admit that despite the lack of a good music chip I prefer the Mega Drive/Genesis version of Turrican 3. The Amiga offers only 32 instead of Mega Drive´s 64 colours. Mega Turrican was the main reason (with Castlevania Bloodlines and Mega Probotector) for me to own a Mega Drive 2 (with RGB-scart cable of course).
Nevertheless the Amiga conversion was a great gift from Factor 5 with a high level of Amiga perfection. With Thalion´s Lionheart Turican 3 was a last highlight for the old Amiga 500. I only regret that there has been no decent remake or conversion for the Amiga 1200/4000 with AGA graphics.

Quote:
It is a poo game. The graphics are impressive, but the controls and strange scrolling destroys everything. It's more like a Turrican 1 port on the NES.
The NES port of Turrican (confusingly called Super Turrican) was made by Turrican creator Manfred Trenz in a solo project. Mainly it is a "best of C64 Turrican 1 and 2" with some enhancements but strictly limited to the 8-bit Nintendo abilities. Manfred Trenz had been a big fan of the 8-bit consoles and computers, I guess he loved programming a game all by his own alone. It´s a great version of Turrican with a nice soundtrack, but I deeply miss the power of a 16 bit Amiga. Either way you love the original 8-bit versions (C64 and later NES) with a slightly different level design (the last level in Turrican 1 has an additional boss and in Turrican 2 the last level is a flight level not a jump level) or you stick to the 16bit releases.

Old 05 January 2009, 16:56   #33
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The NES Super Turrican looks and sounds better as it plays. Horrible unfair/unbalanced version. It also lacks the smooth flow of the C64/Amiga versions. Check Julian Eggebrecht's comment. I agree with him here.

http://www.kultboy.com/index.php?site=t&id=2266&s=2
Old 05 January 2009, 17:47   #34
Predabot

Quote:
The NES Super Turrican looks and sounds better as it plays. Horrible unfair/unbalanced version. It also lacks the smooth flow of the C64/Amiga versions. Check Julian Eggebrecht's comment. I agree with him here.

http://www.kultboy.com/index.php?site=t&id=2266&s=2
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Except I've seen and heard NES games with better sound and graphics as well. Star Tropics, Super Mario Bros3, Castlevania3 and TMNT2 all look and sound better to me, and they were still released several years prior to Super Turrican.

And why are there so few soundtracks in this port?? The NES is capable of more tracks, so why did Manfred limit it so much?

Seen as a single individual's work tho, it's quite something, really shows enthusiasm for the art.

Quote:

The underwater boss moves different and is harder.

The gliders above the scrapyard don't move in the Amiga version. They do move in Mega Turrican (making this part way more interesting and challenging).

The first boss of the final world (the two guns moving in a circle) is broken on the Amiga: you can stand on the right side of the middle platform without ever being hit by the cannons' shots - on the Mega Drive there is no such safe spot thus making the boss more challenging.

Also the walker boss in the final world is easier in Turrican 3.

Only the music and sound fx are (a lot) better in Turrican 3.

In comparison Turrican 3 feels like a beta-version.

Hmm... I've read trough the replies here, and it's a known fact, with the screen-dumps I've seen, regarding the superiority of the Animations and sprites in the Megadrive version.

Someone mentioned that the controls are better on the Amiga port? How much better would you guys say they are? Is it really noticeable? Lesser buttons doesn't necessarily have to mean a dramatic decrease in the quality of the controls.

For instance, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission for the GBA, features similar play and controls as Super Metroid, but with fewer buttons. The use of the fewer buttons are so clever, that you hardly notice it in the GBA games.

I can recommend both for Turrican-fans btw. Smashin' games.

I think I'm going to go with the Megadrive version... but I need more info on the controls, which seems to be the dealbreaker here, the final pin in the puzzle.
Old 05 January 2009, 17:59   #35
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I can assure you, the controls in Mega Turrican works fine. Try it now!!
Old 05 January 2009, 18:32   #36
AmigaFriend

Mega Turrican has in fact better graphics, but the A500 version comes pretty close.

Soundwise the Amiga wins without a doubt because is pure PCM, though the tracks with the FM chip and PSG are very recognizable and have a unique sound.
Old 05 January 2009, 23:17   #37
laffer
Zone Friend

One thing I don't like about the Turrican games (and this is not the fault of the games, rather the Amiga) - that you have to hold the fire button down for a little while to get that ray gun thing. Since the Amiga only has one fire button, I can't think of any other way to do that, though.

The reason I don't like it is I can't use autofire and still enable that gun. You have to shoot a lot in that game, gets tiresome to press the fire button so many times.
Old 05 January 2009, 23:21   #38
s2325
Zone Friend

One button? No, Amiga can recognize more than one button.
Old 05 January 2009, 23:21   #39
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
One thing I don't like about the Turrican games (and this is not the fault of the games, rather the Amiga) - that you have to hold the fire button down for a little while to get that ray gun thing. Since the Amiga only has one fire button, I can't think of any other way to do that, though.
Turrican 1+2 supports a second button, but this is for the energy line.

Quote:
The reason I don't like it is I can't use autofire and still enable that gun. You have to shoot a lot in that game, gets tiresome to press the fire button so many times.
You mean in WinUAE? Yes, this is more like a turbofire option. Not a real auto-fire mode you'll find on some joysticks/pads.
Old 05 January 2009, 23:28   #40
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
You mean in WinUAE? Yes, this is more like a turbofire option. Not a real auto-fire mode you'll find on some joysticks/pads.
I mean with any joystick or the turbofire in WinUAE.. when you have autofire enabled, is there any way to enable that gun you can aim everywhere with?