English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 December 2021, 16:39   #61
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I got it too, because Sarah has just made an Xmas release called Snow Force, and the original is included: https://sarahjaneavory.itch.io/snow-force-c64. She really is a one-woman dev powerhouse, there's so much quality & playability in her games.
I only recently discovered her games and they all ooze quality. Great, great stuff. So I had no problems at all convincing myself to also get Snow Force
Old 24 December 2021, 22:39   #62
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
I think you misunderstood - my point was that no matter how much one optimizes an Amiga port of something resource-heavy like Quake (or the modern PC Sonic engine), the performance will never equal the original version because our Amigas just don’t have comparable raw CPU/hardware power to the original platform.
I had Blizzard PPC and now I have Warp 1260@100MHz - mind that I'm talking from that point and from what i can tell CPU power is enough in both cases (well, on PPC more) to play nicely Quake even on (fanfares!) AGA.
Old 25 December 2021, 01:11   #63
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Nobody seems to cite Mr.Nutz Hopping mad, that technically could do stuff at the required speed, ok less colors but is a very good engine - if we left out the dungeon view part
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by saimon69; 25 December 2021 at 01:35.
Old 25 December 2021, 17:19   #64
rothers

You're right, I'd never realised what a good engine Mr.Nutz has, that's impressive. Very good use of colour.
Old 25 December 2021, 17:40   #65
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Nobody seems to cite Mr.Nutz Hopping mad, that technically could do stuff at the required speed, ok less colors but is a very good engine - if we left out the dungeon view part
[ Show youtube player ]

I spoke about it in my 4th post in this tread.
Old 25 December 2021, 17:56   #66
kremiso

Quote:
right example, but i must be honest, never reached to complete it
imo the later levels are too much hard

yet agree, closest attempt on the miggy
Old 25 December 2021, 21:37   #67
Cobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis View Post
sega master system sonic is by far my favorite sonic game. I completed it on console back in 90s and couple of times since then on emulators. In my opinion, levels are just much better then megadrive levels where i usually lose myself and try to reach end as fast as possible. In sms version i knew all secrets and would usually collect all coins during runs.

I would love to try this.
+1
Old 25 December 2021, 22:18   #68
rothers

It was not made by Sega and the developers were given some weird restrictions, and it lead to a brilliant game - I agree it's the better game. The MD version looks cool and everything but the SMS one has far more secrets and clever level design, it's also harder.

TBH the SMS could probably do a pretty good version of the MD version just minus the parallax.
Old 02 January 2022, 18:13   #69
Styrbjorn

looks awesome !
Old 02 January 2022, 19:23   #70
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
I had Blizzard PPC and now I have Warp 1260@100MHz - mind that I'm talking from that point and from what i can tell CPU power is enough in both cases (well, on PPC more) to play nicely Quake even on (fanfares!) AGA.
That’s my point - if you throw raw CPU/processing power at a game like Quake of course you’re going to get better performance. What I’m suggesting is that it’s not possible to get that kind of performance from a “port” on an “average” system (030 or less). But you can get closer to it if you code from the ground up, specifically for the Amiga, playing to its strengths.

Another example: look at the new Jump! game, which is built for a stock A1200 (plus RAM?) and seems to outperform some Saturn/PSX games.
Old 02 January 2022, 19:28   #71
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Another example: look at the new Jump! game, which is built for a stock A1200 (plus RAM?) and seems to outperform some Saturn/PSX games.
With the help of SOME fast ram (like six megabytes) - if they did it in a base 1200 then i might really be impressed though
Old 02 January 2022, 19:37   #72
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
I spoke about it in my 4th post in this tread.
Went to look and actually you did talk about Blaze - i REALLY wish someone could put hand on that and make some sorta clone or better a spinoff - doing that might take out the burden of a proper port and give some creativity to address the more problematic parts
Old 02 January 2022, 23:15   #73
dreadnought

Quote:
About that...hmmm

Anyway, who needs Sonic when we have Tearaway Thomas, which I have just accidentially discovered? That's one of the things I love about Amiga, we could always come up with some goofy game like that as an "answer" to some smarmy console hit, without any care in the world
Old 03 January 2022, 01:17   #74
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Went to look and actually you did talk about Blaze - i REALLY wish someone could put hand on that and make some sorta clone or better a spinoff - doing that might take out the burden of a proper port and give some creativity to address the more problematic parts
Was Blaze written in asm and was the original author ever likely to let the source code go?
Old 03 January 2022, 03:55   #75
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Was Blaze written in asm and was the original author ever likely to let the source code go?

Source code here: https://pastebin.com/MrA0EtXf

Reference: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...1&postcount=26

Blog post of source code release: https://keithbugeja.wordpress.com/20...e-source-code/

Initial release by the Author: https://keithbugeja.wordpress.com/20...e-memory-lane/

Cheers.
Old 03 January 2022, 11:53   #76
kremiso

thank you @PortoguesePilot for this
i didn't know Blaze source code was available

i got correctly the game has no scrolling? :
"The screen is re-drawn every frame, from 32x32 pixel blocks; there is no actual scrolling."

EDIT the assets and src are on GitHub too :
https://github.com/keithbugeja/blaze

Last edited by kremiso; 03 January 2022 at 12:07.
Old 03 January 2022, 14:08   #77
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Back to OP post - played Sonic on C64 last night (Used emulator as gaming room is kind of mess at the moment ) I was just surprised at how close this was to original Sega version. So far one of best conversions I experienced on C64. I played through first world and had 2 bonus levels and it was just incredible that ol' 64 with bit more memory is able to handle the game this well.

I also love that you can load whole game in memory. This gives it console feeling, without that load time.

Next couple of days I might try to see how far I can get in the game.
Old 03 January 2022, 16:58   #78
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Sega Master System sonic is by far my favorite Sonic game. I completed it on console back in 90s and couple of times since then on emulators. In my opinion, levels are just much better then MegaDrive levels where I usually lose myself and try to reach end as fast as possible. In SMS version I knew all secrets and would usually collect all coins during runs.
Huh. Okay. Guess I should give the master system version a shot then.

I would argue that the idea of the Megadrive version IS to get to the end of the level as quickly as possible It's a game built for speedrunners. I think it is act two where you are suddenly slowed down to a crawl because you have to push obstacles and such... feels so out of place in a Sonic game.
Old 03 January 2022, 17:04   #79
Anubis
Retro Gamer

It is strange that both games were developed around the same time, but in end they were completely different games. RetroGamer had nice article about that.
Old 03 January 2022, 17:33   #80
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The Mega Drive version is just a tech demo with dull levels. The Master System version is an actual game with decent level design.

Completed the C64 port around Christmas. Outstanding port in every aspect. Yes, it needs the REU for the fast data transfer to achieve this multi-directional fullscreen scrolling in constant 50fps. But it's still very impressive.