English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 August 2018, 01:24   #1
cbmeeks

Amiga 1000 only shows orange screen...

I'm trying to get my Amiga 1000 up and running.

I have a keyboard, mouse and S-Video adapter connected. I removed the front 256K expansion.

When I power it on, I only get a solid orange screen. I looked up the error codes and orange isn't listed. But red is. If I adjust the color all the way up, it looks more red. So the orange may be a result of my S-Video adapter (it's not a 520).

If it's actually red, then I believe that is a bad Kickstart ROM. But I'm not sure this Amiga even has a Kickstart ROM. I thought that was loaded by disk?

The power LED appears to be solid and doesn't blink.

Also, I checked some voltages. It appears Agnus (8361) is only getting 3.9v on VCC. The CPU, Paula and Denise appear to have 5V. I also checked the power on the floppy drive and I'm getting a solid 5V and 12V.

I might be able to find another Agnus from an Amiga 500 if you think it would be OK to swap.

Oh, this Amiga 1000 also has that "riser" card attached inside. I'm not sure if all 1000's had that. I have not removed it yet because it appears to be PITA to reconnect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, this is NTSC version if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!
Old 27 August 2018, 02:34   #2
mattsoft

There is no Kickstart ROM on the 1000. You will need a Kickstart floppy disk.

(1) Do not remove the "riser" card AKA the daughterboard. Just leave it alone.
(2) Plug in the front 256K RAM.
(3) Re-seat all socketed chips -- making sure you have no broken or dirty pins.
(4) Turn back on plugged into a composite input using the composite output on the 1000. Avoid that s-video adapter for now.

Report back what you find!
Old 27 August 2018, 02:43   #3
r.cade

Also, the Agnus from a 500 won't work- it has a "fat" Agnus that doesn't work in the 1000.

The only compatible chips are Denise (Daphne on early boards), Paula (Portia on early boards), and the CIA chips. The 500 also has a Gary, which is not in the 1000. It combined some functions of the original 1000 board...
Old 27 August 2018, 03:02   #4
cbmeeks

I connected the 256K expansion. Plugged in the composite (and removed the S-Video adapter).

I only get a solid light-gray screen. I'm assuming that's because the composite is gray scale only.

I re-socketed everything but left the daughter card untouched.

I also swapped out the 68000 with another one.

Still the same thing.

The floppy drive never makes a sound. And I don't see the floppy LED come on at all. The keyboard caps-lock key works.

But that's the only sign of life I see in it. :-(

**EDIT**

I was measuring the wrong pin on Agnus. It gets a solid 5V too.

Last edited by cbmeeks; 27 August 2018 at 03:10.
Old 27 August 2018, 03:34   #5
mattsoft

The composite on the 1000 is color.

Does the screen flicker a few times before it goes to solid grey?

It should start with a dark grey, then go light grey, then white, then ask for Kickstart disk.

If it never goes to light grey, then there could be CPU fault.

If it ends at light grey, it can be CIA fault. The 1000 has 2 of these. They are 8520 chips. If you have a spare from a C64 or Amiga 500, try swapping 1 out.

Do you have the keyboard? Does the caps lock light come on?
Old 27 August 2018, 03:54   #6
cbmeeks

OK, I had an extra 8520R2.

The 1000 had two identical 8520A-1.

When I swapped the two A-1's around, the screen goes nuts. Wavy blue and red. Like the monitor can't hold the sync!

Then I swapped them back and the same thing. I might have zapped one of them. :-(

So then I put in the extra 8520R2 on the ODD.

Here is what I get:

Screen starts off as black. Then goes to dark gray. Then a few seconds later, light gray. Then it just hangs on light gray.

I have several 500's that are confirmed working. I think I will take the two CIA's out of one of them and put them both in and try that.

Oh, BTW...the CAPS lock key works.
Old 27 August 2018, 04:10   #7
mattsoft

Sounds like a bad CIA perhaps. Let us know if a swap of 1 or both fixes them. Make sure the orientation of the chips are correct!
Old 27 August 2018, 04:36   #8
cbmeeks

I swapped both CIA's from a known working Amiga 500. No dice. Still same thing. Stops at light gray.

I think my next move would be to put the suspected "bad" CIA"s in the good 500 and see if they work. Starting to think the CIA's might be fine. Hmm.

I might try swapping the CPU too.

**EDIT**

It appears the power LED is bad too. I swapped it out and when I power on, it blinks quickly four times before coming solid. Then the normal sequence of black then light (or medium??) gray. Then nothing.

Also, every now and then, a power up causes the screen to go crazy. Meaning instead of the black then gray, it starts as a dark green with red vertical bars. Then a few seconds later it's a wavy screen with red and blue. And my monitor acts like it's going nuts with the refresh rate.

Power it off and on a few more times then it's like I said above.

This is even with the known good CIA's.

Last edited by cbmeeks; 27 August 2018 at 04:50.
Old 27 August 2018, 04:49   #9
mattsoft

Hrmmm, I dunno. Make sure you swap in a good CPU. You might also want to make sure the floppy drive is plugged in. BTW, is the floppy seeking (click click click) or is it quiet?
Old 27 August 2018, 04:51   #10
cbmeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsoft View Post
Hrmmm, I dunno. Make sure you swap in a good CPU. You might also want to make sure the floppy drive is plugged in. BTW, is the floppy seeking (click click click) or is it quiet?
Floppy is dead silent. No seeks. No LED from floppy.

Everything is plugged in (please see my previous post).

I guess the CPU is the next thing to swap?
Old 27 August 2018, 04:58   #11
cbmeeks

I recorded the LED on power up. It's actually FIVE blinks that I can see when I play back in slo-mo.

I haven't seen any error codes for 5 blinks.

Also, I toggling the CAPS lock key will eventually stop responding. It works initially, but stops after a while.

And, the CPU seems to be getting really hot. I saw it climb to 135F after I left it on for a while. The other chips are in the 75-90F range. Agnus got up to about 100F.

Last edited by cbmeeks; 27 August 2018 at 05:03.
Old 27 August 2018, 05:05   #12
mattsoft

You have the CPU oriented in the right direction.
Old 27 August 2018, 05:18   #13
cbmeeks

Yes, the CPU is oriented correctly. It's also inserted correctly (no bent pens or mis-alignment).

In fact, it looks just like this:

https://amiga.resource.cx/photos/pho...res=hi&lang=en
Old 27 August 2018, 08:11   #14
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

The fact that you get a colored screen is a good thing. At least we know that some components are working! That means it is a fixable problem.
Take a look at this guide to Amiga boot sequences.
https://www.amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=324
Old 27 August 2018, 17:41   #15
mattsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmeeks View Post
It appears the power LED is bad too. I swapped it out and when I power on, it blinks quickly four times before coming solid. Then the normal sequence of black then light (or medium??) gray. Then nothing.

Also, every now and then, a power up causes the screen to go crazy. Meaning instead of the black then gray, it starts as a dark green with red vertical bars. Then a few seconds later it's a wavy screen with red and blue. And my monitor acts like it's going nuts with the refresh rate.

Power it off and on a few more times then it's like I said above.

This is even with the known good CIA's.
The blinking power LED at startup on the 1000 is normal. It blinks a few times and then the screen lightens up. I don't know how many blinks for a healthy system -- will try my 1000 when I get home tonight.

The symptoms you describe where its intermittently freaking out could be bad power supply, bad IC, or bad solder joint. That's a tough one!
Old 27 August 2018, 22:47   #16
cbmeeks

Small update.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a Workbench 1.3 disk or my GoTek. :-(

The only way to test the CIA chips is to put them in my Amiga 500. Now, since I essentially don't have any software to load, I can only check the keyboard.

So I put each of the Amiga 1000 CIA's in the ODD CIA on the A500. When I boot the A500, I see the insert disk screen. I then press CTRL + A(o) + A(c) and the computer resets. The caps lock key also works on the A500. So my assumption is that is a good test for the CIA.

Would you agree?

If so, then both of the A1000 CIA's are working.

Next step is to try the CPU.

Thanks!
Old 27 August 2018, 23:05   #17
cbmeeks

Another update.

I swapped the CPU's out and they work. Running the A1000 CPU in the A500 worked just fine.

On the 1000, pressing CTRL + A(o) + A(c) resets the computer. So the keyboard should be OK.

I'm running out of ideas on this.

Is there anything else I can swap from a working A500 in the A1000 to test it out?

Thanks!
Old 27 August 2018, 23:48   #18
graffias79

Try the Denise chip in the A500 maybe.
Old 28 August 2018, 01:10   #19
cbmeeks

No luck. I swapped out Denise and Paula. Still the same.

When I had the newer Denise in and I pressed reset, the screen turned blue. So I guess it didn't like the newer Denise.

Only thing left is PSU, Agnus and RAM. Unfortunately, I don't have any way of testing those at the moment. Well, I guess I could take the PSU apart but I tested the voltages before and I think they are OK. But maybe it isn't providing enough load.

So I think I'm going to have to accept defeat on this one for now. :-(

Thanks everyone for their help.
Old 28 August 2018, 01:53   #20
mattsoft

That's too bad, but it sounds like you test all those components correctly. If there is a Commodore/Amiga users group in your area, see if someone has a 1000 and if you can get help troubleshooting some more. If you were local to Seattle, I'd invite you to our monthly club meeting and we could swap 1000 parts and troubleshoot further.