English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 May 2014, 00:32   #1
wanderer
I want an A1000

International Amiga Day, May 31st

An interesting idea is developing in this facebook group. The day is Jay Miner's birthday. I think it's a great idea. The excellent Indie Retro News already caught it up and hopefully it will spread soon.

Here is the International Amiga Day manifesto:

We, Amiga users hereby declare the 31st of May as international day of the Amiga, the Home Computer that made us so much fun, that made us begin a carreer, that made us think differently about computers and games and made us a lot of friends with Amigas.

Amiga is Forever and We really want that to happen. Please share the idea with your Amigan friends to keep the Amiga flame forever!

How can you participate? It's easy - On Amiga Day do any of the following Amigan activities:

- You must switch on at least 1 Amiga computer.
- You must run at least 1 Amiga game (emulator is accepted).
- You must „whiten” a yellowed Amiga.
- You must give your non-working Amiga to a technician, who can make a working machine out of the non-working ones. Lather on the reborn working Amiga must be donated.
- In case you are a technician you must make at least one Amiga working from non-working Amigas.
- If you have an Amiga T-Shirt, you must wear it.
- If none of the above you can make a photo of yourself with an Amiga and share it with your friends on any social networks.
- Or whatever Amiga related activity you like...

So, let's make the first International Amiga Day on Jay Miner's 82nd birthday a real celebration of the best ever home-computer - The Amiga!

Please Invite your fellow Amigans and SHARE the Amiga feeling to everybody!

See you on 31st of May of 2014, on the first Amiga Day!

Last edited by wanderer; 21 May 2014 at 00:46.
Old 21 May 2014, 07:09   #2
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Shared!
Old 21 May 2014, 21:55   #3
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

LOL It's on a Saturday t shirt at the ready
Old 21 May 2014, 22:22   #4
Apollo

why not
Old 21 May 2014, 22:56   #5
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
added in Google Calendar and A1200 ready to play !
Old 24 May 2014, 11:33   #6
willbloke

Where can I get a cool Amiga T-shirt in a hurry ??
Old 24 May 2014, 11:43   #7
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbloke View Post
Where can I get a cool Amiga T-shirt in a hurry ??
You should probably download a nice image of your choice and visit a local t-shirt shop to get it done. Also, check here.
Old 30 May 2014, 19:20   #8
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Happy Amiga Day!

Posted from my A2000

PZ.
Old 30 May 2014, 20:07   #9
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

You should have got an A2000 with a battery backed up clock. ( I know my A500 expansion has)

It's tomorrow

I have to say I'd have thought the EAB community would have made more of this.....

Or is it just every day is Amiga day for us?
Old 30 May 2014, 20:41   #10
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Or maybe it is already Saturday in Australia
Old 30 May 2014, 21:19   #11
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

LOL of course. Didn't notice the address, happy Amiga day to our upside down friends
Old 30 May 2014, 21:29   #12
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Nice idea, I adopt it.
Old 31 May 2014, 00:20   #13
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I shall celebrate by applying power to my first ever A1200 which I found recently. It has been buried in my storage since early 2000. The board looks immaculate! quite shocked tbh. Cannot get over how all the caps have not leaked or domed and all the solder spots are shiney

This wont be simple! I just know something is amiss but until tomorrow it could be anything lol.

I am trying to figure myself out and why this board was ignored. The only thing I can suss is... the clock port header is on the wrong place! The board is a 1D.1 and I had a thing for 1D4's back in the day

Spent the last 3 evenings putting in some graft tidying up metalwork, case etc. Searching for a complete set of genuine commodore screws can drive anyone batty but I have everything now.

So I shall either be jumping for joy or swearing like a trooper come tomorrow afternoon lol.
Old 31 May 2014, 01:22   #14
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/0...s-come-to.html

I'm ready!
Old 31 May 2014, 01:41   #15
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Or maybe it is already Saturday in Australia
Correct

PZ.
Old 31 May 2014, 02:07   #16
wanderer
I want an A1000

Happy Amiga Day everyone! This actually feels quite good. I'll celebrate by improving my life... the Amiga way!
Old 31 May 2014, 02:17   #17
Mark Wright

Here’s my programme of events for tomorrow’s special day:

- having set my alarm for 1200 (thus celebrating the best Amiga model) I shall wake up (with a start) to the iconic “BRRR!” sound made by X-Copy, now set as my smartphone alarm tone.
- with Blondie’s “Parallel Lines” on the hi-fi, I shall breakfast on a can of Campbell’s soup (thus celebrating the celebrity Amiga launch) while drawing crude Graphicraft images, saving them in the most obscure format possible
- placing a plush-toy version of the cartoon dog Odie (from Garfield) next to me (thus celebrating Jay Miner) I shall spend a couple of hours fiddling around with some wires and bread, on a board (thus celebrating the secret CES debut of the Amiga)
- bored with this, I shall then change the music, replacing Blondie with the B52s’ “Rock Lobster” before maneuvering myself into a cross-legged, entirely-still posture to begin meditating (thus killing several celebrating birds with one celebratory stone)
- after a quick go on MindwalkerTM (thus celebrating the first ever Amiga game) I shall leave the house to spend precisely £8.80 at a local store and have the member of staff validate I’ve definitely spent this amount (thus celebrating the bane of my Amiga life) before legally changing my name to Lazarus
- arriving home, I shall post a (previously prepared and sneakily concealed) issue of AMIGA POWER through my letterbox, before turning off the alarm system upon entry, using the code 4489 (thus celebrating obscure Amiga MFMery) and feigning surprised contentment at its presence
- the rest of the evening will be spent arseing around with PCMCIA adaptors, card readers and flaky memory cards, in a frustratingly fruitless attempt to cajole both my A600 and Mac into assisting me with a view to enjoying the contents of the AMIGA POWER TOP 100, but they won’t play fair and everything will go wrong while either trying to write ADFs to the card on the Mac side, or back to floppies on the A600 side, and I’ll just give up like I’ve done so many times before, remembering how bloody slow and ancient the Amiga is, and how the RF signal keeps drifting on my TV and I have to keep turning it off and back on again and I haven’t even got a joystick or anything, and I’ll keep trying to hit F12 on the Amiga like you do on WinUAE and it’s not there, and Odie is starting to piss me off.
- with all of the rainbow candy eaten, and red and white balloons starting to deflate, I’ll head to bed wondering why GenAm kept insisting that INCBIN was missing while it was CLEARLY on the disk, and when I did get it to assemble, why it crashed my machine so spectacularly that the TV lost sync to the point where it seemed like it was about to implode. Must have missed a NOP or something…. Zzzzz…. Zzzz…..

Whatever you’re doing, have a great AMAYGA DAY!
Old 31 May 2014, 21:03   #18
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Seeing as the day has a few hours left I decided today was "Clean up an old A1200 day"

So about an hour ago I finally arrive at the point where I am about to power up a machine that has not been near any form of electricity for 13 years or so.

I flick the power switch and........

"ITS ALIVEEEEEEEE!!!!"

A nice little way to celebrate International Amiga Day meethinks

Still cannot get over how this board has survived without spewing cap juice all over the shop?

Last edited by ElectroBlaster; 31 May 2014 at 21:10.
Old 31 May 2014, 21:26   #19
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Spent half of the day in a ZOO, wearing Commodore T-shirt. Now I sit in front of my Amiga, running Deluxe Paint IV.
Old 31 May 2014, 21:35   #20
Nobby_UK

My Stuff + Me

Via Timer on Web-Cam (Yuck)

Via Phone (bit better)

A1200 under Telly