English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 May 2021, 13:02   #1
gjstroom

Evolution 2000 dead

Hi, I am in the progress of reviving my A2000. I already repaired some damage done by a leaking Varta battery. That damaged some tracks on the mainboard. I removed the 68000 socket because that was also oxydated and replaced it with two 32 pin 2,54 print headers.
So the A2000 is working now, hooked up a Gotek floppy drive. So far so good...

But I made a major fuckup, while my A2000 mainboard was still 'naked' on my bench I plugged in my Evolution SCSI controller card, the wrong way around

I heard something tick and a burning smell. Luckily the mainboard looks fine, also the Zorro II slots still work. My Golem ram expansion card works, that also needed some work, the little switch on the backplate had died. It did scare me when it didn't work initially.
After some investigation on the Evolution controller and looking at the pinout of the Zorro bus I think only the 74F245 died, because that's fed with a -12V directly due to the reverse insertion of the card. That's also the most smelly chip and has a little crack. The eproms are fine, tested those on my TL8666II.
I have already replaced the 74F245 and the 74LS245 but no luck so far. I think the 2 GAL 16V8 chips are also dead. Maybe also the big Emulex chip died, but that seems a part not available any longer.
I tried reading the GAL chips with my TL8666II, but no luck, so that's why I think they are broken. It's also possible they are in protected mode.
Anyone knows if the 'source' for those GALs is somewhere around ? Or someone can read them for me ?

Last edited by gjstroom; 22 May 2021 at 13:10.
Old 30 May 2021, 14:24   #2
gjstroom

I have done some searching; the Emulex chip on the controller is a FAS216, ESP216 or 53C94. All those controller chips seems to be compatible. I ordered a 53C94 of Ebay for £14,- I try my luck if that's maybe the problem.
Meanwhile I am searching for the L and H eprom code, to verify if the roms are undamaged.
This is what I found so far:
EVO34.zip (found it on an old Amiga evolution floppydisk)
evo30.zip (found it on an old Amiga evolution floppydisk)
Evolution2000_34.zip (dump of my own roms)
MacroSystem_2090B.zip (from grandis.nu)
Multi Evolution 500 SCSI v3.4.zip (from grandis.nu)
https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/inde...fYoCP8CsYsJ9Oh

Last edited by gjstroom; 05 June 2021 at 16:44.
Old 30 May 2021, 14:41   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does it appear in early boot menu if you install it without ROM chip? (and without SCSI chip). Autoconfig should work without ROM chip.

ROM chip needs removing because bad SCSI chip (or something related) can hang the driver if hardware does not respond correctly.

GAL(s) and/or bus buffer(s) probably are dead if it does not appear in autoconfig device list.
Old 30 May 2021, 20:51   #4
gjstroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Does it appear in early boot menu if you install it without ROM chip? (and without SCSI chip). Autoconfig should work without ROM chip.
ROM chip needs removing because bad SCSI chip (or something related) can hang the driver if hardware does not respond correctly.
GAL(s) and/or bus buffer(s) probably are dead if it does not appear in autoconfig device list.
Haven't tried it whitout the roms, will give it a try !
Tried without the Emulex chip, but then the Amiga doesn't boot at all.
The bus buffers ic's are already replaced, that didn't fix it. I also think it's the GAL chips, but who has the sources of those ? It's also possible they are in protected mode, so you can't read them.

[edit], with the eproms removed, the Amiga boots fine. When booting from a evolution setup disk I get evolution.device not found.
What do you mean buy: "Does it appear in early boot menu"
There's no boot menu at all.

Last edited by gjstroom; 30 May 2021 at 21:39.
Old 01 June 2021, 16:32   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I guess you have KS 1.3? (Only KS 2.0+ has early boot menu).

You can also use for example SysInfo and press Boards button in main screen. If autoconfig works, it should list board's autoconfig information.
Old 02 June 2021, 22:39   #6
gjstroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I guess you have KS 1.3? (Only KS 2.0+ has early boot menu).
You can also use for example SysInfo and press Boards button in main screen. If autoconfig works, it should list board's autoconfig information.
I have KS2.0.
Used a bootable Sysinfo.adf, that only displays my Golem ram board.
Today I also received my 53C94 SCSI chip, but it doesn't make any difference. I didn't find a 3.4 version of the eproms to verify the current installed ones. But I can burn the 3.0 version, will give that a try as well.

But like you say, the board should list even without the eproms installed. It doesn't, so it should be the GAL chips
Old 05 June 2021, 16:45   #7
gjstroom

I found the Evolution 3.4 roms on an old Amiga floppydisc.
Added to the share listed above: EVO34.zip
The files and dump of my own eproms are the same, so it's now clear the problem is the GAL's.