English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 01 July 2002, 09:42   #61
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DPainter
Good detective work, there. I am assuming there was not a stand-alone Boulderdash game by First Star on Amiga. My reasoning is that Boulderdash (Emerald Mine) was so popular on Amiga that if there had been a stand-alone from the official company, it would be plastered all over the Amiga scene. May not be correct, but that's my guess.

One official First Star version of Boulderdash released by Mastertronic on the Amiga was Rockford from the Arcadia arcade machines (which were powered by Amigas).

Check out the Boulderdash history on the First Star website:

www.firststarsoftware.com

HISTORY

BOULDER DASH was first published by First Star in 1984 on the C-64, Apple II and Atari 4/800. After the original BOULDER DASH, the second game, BOULDER DASH 2 was combined with BOULDER DASH and published by Electronic Arts as SUPER BOULDER DASH™. They sold just under 100,000 units on C-64, Apple II, IBM-CGA and Atari 4/800 from 1986-87. The BOULDER DASH CONSTRUCTION KIT™ was published in North America by EPYX on the C-64, Apple II, IBM-CGA , Atari ST and Atari 4/800 from 1987- 88. It was also licensed for sale throughout the world including Europe, Scandinavia, Australia and Japan on MSX, NEC and various disk and cartridge platforms unique to these territories.

In addition BOULDER DASH or its derivatives have been released four times into the coin-operated arcades: twice by Data East (1985 & 1991), once by EXIDY and once by Mastertronics/Arcadia Systems as ROCKFORD™. Mastertronics also published floppy versions of ROCKFORD on C-64, Spectrum, IBM-CGA & EGA, Atari ST and Amiga
Old 01 July 2002, 10:35   #62
oldpx

Discussing ALL these games in a single thread is impossible. In the past I found both twist's and cody's threads too long to read and therefore my contribution delayed. I suggest we create a seperate MIA forum and pre-created empty threads for each game in them.

Old 01 July 2002, 10:44   #63
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, but it seems only a small number of them are really being discussed. And even then, only a message or two about them (with a few exceptions, like PTC). Look how many teams were discussed (or games) in the World Cup thread.

I really don't know any other way to do this, other than having 50 different MIA threads for one initial list, which I find even more impractical. A game like PTC deserves its own thread, I agree, but Boulderdash, for example, has probably just been closed out (more or less) until the actual game surfaces.
Old 01 July 2002, 12:51   #64
RetroMan

Ok, I also found Powerplay Eishockey Manager and it´s allready in the zone as well as the 7-Disk Version of Regent
Old 01 July 2002, 14:04   #65
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks for the uploads, Retroman! I couldn't get Powerplay Eishockey Manager to work, as it just crashed upon booting. It was infected with the Joshua Bootblock Virus, which I removed (well, I kept a copy of the bootblock for my collection) and it seems to work fine now. I cleaned it up a bit, too (renamed the disk from "Copy of POWERPLAY" to POWERPLAY, killed some useless .info files), then renamed it to TOSEC-style and it's now in the Zone.

Is this game a crack or did it come from an original? I wonder because if it did, it may not be 100%. It appears to have been copied using Workbench (hence the "Copy of" on the diskname). In the root dir of the disk is a file (I forgot the name of it, it's two letters) that has all file attributes turned off. When I reset them to RWED, the file still would not copy to RAM. Sometimes, this is still OK (ie, on Bootgirl disks), but if it came from an original, it could be a file that didn't image properly. My German was not enough to where I delved beyond the first screen I got to. So I never got to the screens as seen near the top of this page (the title screen and in-game screen). Do those screens match up with this game/disk?

Any info will be a major help to a mere yank.
Old 01 July 2002, 14:09   #66
RetroMan

I remember getting this game long time ago and never touched it ! I´m pretty sure it´s NOT from an original, I just adf´ed and checked if it loads (it even loads with the virus in WinUAE) and put it into the zone ! Yep, the ingame screenshot matches the game but I never saw the title screen so maybe there are better dumps out there At least it made it´s way to the surface now
Old 01 July 2002, 14:13   #67
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks again, dude! I still consider it found, but I'll also try to find a copy with the title screen, as well. At least I have that one for use with HOL!
Old 01 July 2002, 15:59   #68
Bernd

PTC:
Of course that PTC on the compacted disk is the right one. You must not forget that it is a 1987 release. The Amiga was sth. *new* in Germany and challenging for some hobby programmers... Therefore some titels are quite bad... Also Sky Fighter which is also from Rainbow Arts and was from the same year has this poor quality.
Now I also upload a music rip of this game done by Don Adan. Check out his site for further rare Amiga rips: http://amiga.emucamp.com/wt/wt.html

Quote:
Energize was another of tynesofts budget labels
Warlock, how sure are you about this? Does anyone know all labels by Tynesoft? I only know Microvalue and Flair who belong to them somehow...
Old 01 July 2002, 16:16   #69
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Re: energize

Quote:
Originally posted by Warlock99
Energize was another of tynesofts budget labels so soccer match could be same as kenny daglish's soccer match. Maybe you already knew this though.
Actually, Energize was Impressions' budget label.
Old 01 July 2002, 17:33   #70
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

oops

Oops...I think i was thinking of another budget label, was it Impulze or something similar.

Tynesoft are an english company so i just remember seeing a lot of their games around in the old days.
Old 01 July 2002, 18:42   #71
Walker

Thomas The Tank Engine 2 ECS

Are you sure it's Thomas The Tank Engine 2 ECS you're looking for....? It's included in TOSEC as

Thomas the Tank Engine 2 (1993)(Alternative Software)[cr TRSi]

I can upload this one if you want it.

Another Thomas game, Thomas The Tank Engine And Friends Pinball, is an AGA game. Maybe you're looking for an ECS version of this one?
Old 01 July 2002, 18:47   #72
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Rainbow Arts

Rainbow Arts started out as a very POOR company, releasing really bad games, it wasn't until Turrican and X-Out and Rock n Roll that things got better.

If Twist wants to mfmwarp this Dead of Night thing and send it to GLDFLT@AOL.COM, I will cough and see what happens
Old 01 July 2002, 18:49   #73
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Thomas The Tank Engine 2 ECS

Quote:
Originally posted by Walker
Are you sure it's Thomas The Tank Engine 2 ECS you're looking for....? It's included in TOSEC as

Thomas the Tank Engine 2 (1993)(Alternative Software)[cr TRSi]

I can upload this one if you want it.

Another Thomas game, Thomas The Tank Engine And Friends Pinball, is an AGA game. Maybe you're looking for an ECS version of this one?
Thanks, Walker. I know you've been hammering me about this one for a while, but I just now got it. That one was on my very oldest wants list, but I have no clue what I was looking for. I really know of only one TtTE2, which is ECS. And I believe TtTEP is available in AGA and CD32 flavors.

Thanks for making me see this (finally). And thanks for the upload offer, but I do have it.
Old 01 July 2002, 18:52   #74
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Rainbow Arts

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
Rainbow Arts started out as a very POOR company, releasing really bad games, it wasn't until Turrican and X-Out and Rock n Roll that things got better.

If Twist wants to mfmwarp this Dead of Night thing and send it to GLDFLT@AOL.COM, I will cough and see what happens
It's actually an AmigaDOS Licenseware game. There is a restriction to how much of it you can play. The distributable version is three disks and apparently only disk 1 is changed on the full version, so it may just need a file to be hacked or something.
Old 01 July 2002, 18:57   #75
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

just adf it then

just adf the disk then and give me a list of what you cant do with the game but would like to do.
Old 01 July 2002, 19:23   #76
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@Galahad
I put disk 1 in the Zone for you. If you need the other two, I can up them or you can find them at the usual TOSEC stations.

Quote:
From the manual/doc on disk 1
WARNINGS:
When during the game the sentence "THIS DEMO IS OVER" appears you will
have reached the end of this version. To get the complete version send
US$10 to:
TRECISION
P.O. Box 39
16035 Rapallo (GE)
ITALY
remember to keep this three disks because only the first one will be
sent to you! Specify AMIGA or PC version.
@DPainter
Just saw your new uploads. You sexy bitch!
Old 01 July 2002, 20:10   #77
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Dead of Night

As far as I can see, you need to get the DONB file from the original to make the game operate. It uses an offset table to access all text strings in the game, and the DEMO text is the last offset in the table, the game doesn't point to anything after this, and the text looks incomplete.

Hope that clears that up.
Old 01 July 2002, 20:16   #78
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

newest DPainter batch

Thanks again for the uploads, DP. The Times and Sun disks seem to have compacted (somewhat) the two individual games, which is fine. I have a standalone for one of the four games, because I remember playing it in the last week. Hard to imagine these actually being sold in shops, though...

And speaking of 'hard to imagine', as soon as I saw Tarkus Team when booting up EWB Europe, I smelled fake. Fairly convincing work. Two hacked screens, palette editing in Preferences, elimination of any team data. And the crack text on bootup says it's fixed for NTSC. ?!?, OK... I don't recall 1meg/512k versions both existing on the original EWB, though. But it defaults to Fenway Park...what has that got to do with Europe? Actually, baseball has little to do with Europe. Maybe they should have made it Earl Weaver Cricket? I have read interviews with creator Eddie Dombrowser in which he timelined the history of the game, but he never mentioned EWBE.

But maybe I am wrong. Any of you Europeans ever seen this game published on your shores?

I didn't think so.
Old 01 July 2002, 20:18   #79
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Dead of Night

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
As far as I can see, you need to get the DONB file from the original to make the game operate. It uses an offset table to access all text strings in the game, and the DEMO text is the last offset in the table, the game doesn't point to anything after this, and the text looks incomplete.

Hope that clears that up.
Thanks, dude. I guess the programming on this game looks too nice for them to have been gullible enough to make such an easy-to-hack release. Maybe the full version exists on one of those Licenseware CD's. Anyone have one of these? Or does anybody know what Trecision are doing these days?
Old 02 July 2002, 00:31   #80
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
???
Turrican?
If my "perforated" memory serves me right, Turrican was from FACTOR 5, not Rainbow Arts. They're two different companies, independent of each other.