English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 20 September 2021, 12:42   #181
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
This would probably be even better for my needs. I don't suppose you have a built exe for the packer do you? I've found the source to depack but I need the packer.

Thanks, Graeme

Yes, i have an exe. I simply compiled the LZ VisualStudio solution from here:
https://github.com/AxisOxy/Planet-Ro...s/doynamite68k

I uploaded it for you into THE ZONE (lz.zip).
Old 20 September 2021, 12:56   #182
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
Yes, i have an exe. I simply compiled the LZ VisualStudio solution from here:
https://github.com/AxisOxy/Planet-Ro...s/doynamite68k

I uploaded it for you into THE ZONE (lz.zip).
Thanks Pink.

As an aside, I forgot that I generate the bitmap mask on the fly on my streaming solution... so this might not be the best idea for me.
Old 20 September 2021, 13:03   #183
pink^abyss

Quote:
Thanks Pink.

As an aside, I forgot that I generate the bitmap mask on the fly on my streaming solution... so this might not be the best idea for me.

I see.
For my needs it was usually best (and easiest) to incbin the compressed bitmaps (with generated masks) and decompress them from slowmem on start of a level. As masks compress usually very well i don't think you loose much mem this way (in comparison to generating the masks on the fly).
Old 20 September 2021, 13:20   #184
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
I see.
For my needs it was usually best (and easiest) to incbin the compressed bitmaps (with generated masks) and decompress them from slowmem on start of a level. As masks compress usually very well i don't think you loose much mem this way (in comparison to generating the masks on the fly).
Yeah, I need to switch sprite sheets mid game - as fast as possible.

The solution I have now works... I might opt to combine the bitmap with the mask data.... if I run out of slow ram (a distinct possibility now).
Old 21 September 2021, 02:02   #185
tarr

Quote:
I dont know ehat u mean about the elbow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	elbow.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	73278

The animation gives the illusion of an elbow hit
Old 21 September 2021, 16:05   #186
Bren McGuire

looking amazing, keep up the good work. can I nitpick though? and I know this isn't final, but...

in the original game, the way the enemies fall makes sense, but particularly in this level, it baffles the mind. could they just fly off towards the side of the screen instead of falling down like if there was some kind of weird gravity going on? otherwise you'd have to change the way the graphics are designed...

anyway, again, just a nitpick. it's all looking brilliant otherwise.
Quote:
Smallish update here for #19...been a busy weekend.

[ Show youtube player ]

There's two sets of sprites that live in slow ram. Both sets are 192 pixels in depth. In Chip ram I only have enough space for 1 sprite bank of 192 pixels in depth.
So what I'm doing is that at specific points I'm "streaming" the sprite banks from slow ram into fast ram which is giving a variation on the enemies.

I'd be interested to know if this technique has been used in any other Amiga games from the veteran programmers here?

Graeme
Old 21 September 2021, 16:30   #187
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
in the original game, the way the enemies fall makes sense, but particularly in this level, it baffles the mind.
I also wondered about this but then came to the conclusion that this is just an element of the original game that has to be accepted as it is. Falling down the screen doesn't make much sense in the original indoor levels either because I would assume there also is a wall on the other side of the corridor that was just removed for perspective. Falling down the screen would make sense inside the underground station levels, though.
Old 21 September 2021, 22:02   #188
Mixel

I think falling down is the most elegent/logical thing to do with them? It would look weird if they had to fly they entire length of the screen before leaving. (they'd also get in the way)

It's old game shorthand for dead. It doesnt make sense when mario and sonic fall off the bottom of the screen through all the platforms either? (or any of the other millions of characters who do the same)
Old 21 September 2021, 22:18   #189
jotd
This cat is no more

not to mention the corpses instantly decomposing in a lot of other games... The first impossible thing is that 1 person has the stamina to one-punch/one-kick all those grunts.
Old 21 September 2021, 22:55   #190
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
looking amazing, keep up the good work. can I nitpick though? and I know this isn't final, but...

in the original game, the way the enemies fall makes sense, but particularly in this level, it baffles the mind. could they just fly off towards the side of the screen instead of falling down like if there was some kind of weird gravity going on? otherwise you'd have to change the way the graphics are designed...

anyway, again, just a nitpick. it's all looking brilliant otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I also wondered about this but then came to the conclusion that this is just an element of the original game that has to be accepted as it is. Falling down the screen doesn't make much sense in the original indoor levels either because I would assume there also is a wall on the other side of the corridor that was just removed for perspective. Falling down the screen would make sense inside the underground station levels, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
I think falling down is the most elegent/logical thing to do with them? It would look weird if they had to fly they entire length of the screen before leaving. (they'd also get in the way)

It's old game shorthand for dead. It doesnt make sense when mario and sonic fall off the bottom of the screen through all the platforms either? (or any of the other millions of characters who do the same)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
not to mention the corpses instantly decomposing in a lot of other games... The first impossible thing is that 1 person has the stamina to one-punch/one-kick all those grunts.

I love discussing these sorts of aspects to game design, I consider that the arcade software engineers that worked for the likes of Irem, Capcom, Taito etc were the best around. Only when I began to port games did I realise just how much detail went into these sorts of decisions that made the games extremely playable. You also start to see the huge flaws in other games that have been poorly designed or with little thought, i never appreciated game designers as a profession... but Boy I do now.

Anyway... with this discussion I decided to pop a little gift into the Zone.

Yes there's bugs here and there, but I'm interested in your thoughts on the collisions and general flow.

Graeme
Old 21 September 2021, 23:35   #191
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Old 22 September 2021, 00:14   #192
acidbottle

Quote:
I love discussing these sorts of aspects to game design, I consider that the arcade software engineers that worked for the likes of Irem, Capcom, Taito etc were the best around. Only when I began to port games did I realise just how much detail went into these sorts of decisions that made the games extremely playable. You also start to see the huge flaws in other games that have been poorly designed or with little thought, i never appreciated game designers as a profession... but Boy I do now.

Yes there's bugs here and there, but I'm interested in your thoughts on the collisions and general flow.

Graeme
Flow is generally spot on, though I still get "frustrated" when the dudes grip you and you have to shake them off, quirk of the original and not by your design I might add. GFX are amazing to, very impressed with this appetizer!

Absolutely right about old arcade games. Some seemingly very simple games have loads of tiny nuances that you hardly ever notice until you look closer at the games design.
Old 22 September 2021, 03:36   #193
lmimmfn

Quote:

Graeme
Back in the day new arcade games we're deployed in various areas, feedback taken in terms of coins earned, and tweaking gameplay based on that.
The arcade designers of the 80s were absolute masters of addictive games as a result
Old 22 September 2021, 10:15   #194
zzbylu
Saberman

Great game!
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 September 2021, 11:32   #195
empardopo

Quote:

Graeme

Using keyboard, what's the key to use punch?
Thanks in advance
Old 22 September 2021, 11:39   #196
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by empardopo View Post
Using keyboard, what's the key to use punch?
Thanks in advance
You cant use keys unless you map them in emulation.

The game requires a two button joystick.
Old 22 September 2021, 12:14   #197
ransom1122

Superb work. I'm sharing in communities away from eab as well.

Keep up the great work McGeezer
Old 22 September 2021, 17:43   #198
rothers

Ah yeah! This looks great! Love to see the improved graphics!
Old 22 September 2021, 19:50   #199
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Much better than I thought Kung Fu Remaster would look like. Great stuff.
Old 22 September 2021, 20:39   #200
S. Campbell

I am just ALL the excited about this.