English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 16 May 2007, 20:40   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Remember EPT (unreleased) from Realtime Games

Those of you with long memories, an affection for 3D games, and obviously
the spirit of the true Amiga diehard may well remember Realtime Games.
Their best known game was Carrier Command, followed by Battle Command, but
one of the projects that they started was a game called EPT, a game that
was supposed to improve on the space trading/combat classic, Elite. Sadly,
the game was never finished, but apparently quite a lot was done. The fruits of that labour are available on Rainbird Rich's website, The Bird
Sanctuary, with downloadable production notes and the ST preproduction version of the game. Even if you don't download any of the goodies, its a very interesting read, and well worth having a look through.

The page is here:

http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk/ept/i.php

If you are interested in Rainbird/Firebird etc, check out the rest of Richard's site - its a really good resource.

What I need to do now, is work out how to make STonx or another ST emulator work on my Amiga. Does anybody have any advice?

Cheers.
Old 16 May 2007, 21:14   #2
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
nice find...but its better to post it to agtw forum...

GlobalMods...where are you...
Old 16 May 2007, 21:16   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

Old 20 May 2007, 17:17   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus
Those of you with long memories, an affection for 3D games, and obviously the spirit of the true Amiga diehard may well remember Realtime Games. Their best known game was Carrier Command, followed by Battle Command, but
one of the projects that they started was a game called EPT, a game that was supposed to improve on the space trading/combat classic, Elite.
Hope having a long memory doesn't make me (and you) old Angus! EPT....the infamous Elite Piss Take that was going to make Elite look like a C= PET game!! The mags reported on this game on and off for 2-3 years before it was finally put out to pasture with the sale of Telecomsoft.

Quote:
The page is here:

http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk/ept/i.php

If you are interested in Rainbird/Firebird etc, check out the rest of Richard's site - its a really good resource.
Richard's website has really come along in leaps and bounds from its early beginnings a few years back It was a pretty good read back then, but now it's a fascinating read if you like the behind-the-scenes stories and trivia of Ami games development that he has now packed into the site

Last edited by DrBong; 20 May 2007 at 17:31.
Old 22 May 2007, 14:04   #5
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
Hope having a long memory doesn't make me (and you) old Angus!
Not at heart, at least.

I followed the game's development as closely as I could (along with Duster) as I thought Realtime ruled. And, given the stunning 8-bit versions of Elite I never felt the Amiga version was much to shout about, so I had a lot of hopes for a really ground-breaking, Amiga-ized space game pinned on Realtime. Sadly not to be.

Have you had any success with ST emulation on a Miggy, Doc?
Old 24 May 2007, 19:36   #6
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus
Have you had any success with ST emulation on a Miggy, Doc?
Never had the inclination to emulate an Atari ST on the Amiga. I've heard, though, that despite sharing the Motorola CPU that ST software emulators aren't much cop on the Ami because so much work was left to the ST's CPU in the absence of custom chips (e.g. blitter). Probably means that decent ST emulation on the Amiga can only be achieved with the aid of a software/hardware emulator (e.g. Medusa, Brainstorm). Unfortunately, the software used with these cards might not run too well on 060. It won't matter, though, if the ST games you want to play bang the hardware. Real hardware is preferable in those instances or a really good software emulator on a modern PC/Mac.