English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 May 2007, 11:20   #1
magnox

Can anyone remember resident evil on amiga?

Ok, I might be totally crazy but I seem to remember a pd disk I ordered for the amiga some years ago, which was supposed to be a playable resident evil work in progress demo for the amiga.

It was in the format of a point and click and I dont think it had major amounts of animation in either but rather a sort of static image game e.g. if you clicked on the a clock it would show a up close picture of it complete with ticking sound etc. It also if I remember rightly had some of the original voices somehow ripped into it.

You could play past the first discovery of a zombie if I remember rightly and then when you back into the main entrance hall, it came up about the finished version would contain much more etc.

Does anyone at all know about this game and whether it got completed and or does anyone even possibly have the original pd disk? I havent seen it since so maybe its one of the rarer pd disks? Thanks loads in advance
Old 20 May 2007, 12:05   #2
Doozy

Hooooo Oooh Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnox
Ok, I might be totally crazy but I seem to remember a pd disk I ordered for the amiga some years ago, which was supposed to be a playable resident evil work in progress demo for the amiga.

It was in the format of a point and click and I dont think it had major amounts of animation in either but rather a sort of static image game e.g. if you clicked on the a clock it would show a up close picture of it complete with ticking sound etc. It also if I remember rightly had some of the original voices somehow ripped into it.

You could play past the first discovery of a zombie if I remember rightly and then when you back into the main entrance hall, it came up about the finished version would contain much more etc.

Does anyone at all know about this game and whether it got completed and or does anyone even possibly have the original pd disk? I havent seen it since so maybe its one of the rarer pd disks? Thanks loads in advance
I remember this one! If I recall it was given away on either an Amiga Format CD or a CU Amiga CD. As you said it was static screens taken from the PSX game and utilised a point and click interface. I don't think that the full version this game was ever released. I think that it would have taken a lot of hard work to get the entire game done! Who knows though? Maybe its out there!

Old 20 May 2007, 12:22   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I would love to see this too, if it exists. I have done a search on aminet and i couldn`t find anything there, and i did a global google and still turned up empty

The thing is... it rings a bell.... it might of only of been screen shoots on a PD as far as i could remember but there is something out
there.

[edit]
hmmmm AMR might have it their cover disk collection!
Old 20 May 2007, 12:23   #4
magnox

@ Doozy

Thanks for posting I'm glad its not just my imagination lol, yeh I remember being really surprised when I saw it on the miggy pd catalouge, I wondered in what form someone had managed to get resi onto an unexpanded amiga, which is what prompted me to order the disc lol.

Bet the proper Resi would have been possible on a amiga with ppc/graphics card combo and cd drive, much in the way they ported wipEout 2097 and quake to the miggy, food for thought lol.

Anyhoo I bet if they had finished the point and click resi version, amiga users might have bought it if it was a good price lol.

Last edited by magnox; 20 May 2007 at 12:33.
Old 20 May 2007, 12:31   #5
magnox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
I would love to see this too, if it exists. I have done a search on aminet and i couldn`t find anything there, and i did a global google and still turned up empty

The thing is... it rings a bell.... it might of only of been screen shoots on a PD as far as i could remember but there is something out
there.

[edit]
hmmmm AMR might have it their cover disk collection!
@Zetr0

Yeh it would be great to find this and get some screenies and put it in the hol with codyjarrets permission. Its would be a little bit of a curios for any who haven't come across it before.

It was kind of cool even it's static screen state to see it on the miggy, I remember telling my friend (who was a playstation fanatic) that I had a resident evil amiga demo. He didn't quite believe me lol

Anyone got any ideas for porting resi 4 to the amiga in some form lol
Old 20 May 2007, 12:44   #6
magnox

Just found something, dont know if its related but there was some info on this page about a resident evil for the amiga supposedly by Alpha Software, although I doubt it was in the same vein as the pd version, anyhoo here is the link if anyone woudl like a look

http://www.amigaflame.com/amialph.htm
Old 20 May 2007, 13:29   #7
magnox

Found a little bit more info on the resident evil amiga game.

On a French site if you scroll down, it is listed as being developed by Magic Rabbit software in 1998. Link below:

http://obligement.online.fr/articles...jeuxamigar.php

I also found a page with no master site which seemed to have originally hosted the resi amiga pd from magic rabbit, (site was Last updated on February 8, 1999) but because of lack of support and no response from the developer (maybe a solo project?) for six months, the download site was being discontinued. There is also a Magic Rabbit logo on the page, link below:

http://alan2.rateliff.org/public_html/amiga/amire.html

magic rabbit logo

There is on that page a email address for the person who was updating the page, I'm going to try to email the address to see if there is any response. It may just lead nowhere, but if I get a response hopefully we will be able to glean more info on what happened to this project, and hopefully get hold of the disk/adf or wip files?
Old 20 May 2007, 14:40   #8
DamienD
Banned

Wow, this all very cool stuff

I've previously never heard about such a thing. Me loves Resident Evil

Hopefully something more will surface, thanks for all the information so far though guys...
Old 20 May 2007, 15:20   #9
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
In the Zone!

Min. Requirements (from the readme):

- AGA
- Possibly will run with 2Mb ram, 4Mb or 6Mb recommended (I'd suggest it needs more than 2Mb)
- 5.5Mb HD space
- Mouse

Here's the old website for the game too:

http://web.archive.org/web/200106082...are/Arena/1955

It's a playable demo, but only barely (i.e. it's point 'n' click ala Myst). Pity Magic Rabbit never continued with development after V1.0. Even bigger pity that Gareth Murfin @ Alpha Software was never able to license an official version as he would have been quite capable of delivering something like the PSX version.

Anyway, I'll probably knock up a HOL entry for this PD demo by Magic Rabbit so people won't keep wondering whether Resident Evil was ever released on the Amiga. Enjoy!

@DamienD
I'm sure I can count on you to d/l this, so you can reupload it for others in the future......reupping stuff on dial-up is a pain!

Last edited by DrBong; 20 May 2007 at 17:59.
Old 20 May 2007, 15:25   #10
magnox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
In the Zone!

Min. Requirements (from the readme):

-AGA
-Possibly will run inside 2Mb ram, 4Mb or 6Mb recommended (I'd suggest it needs more than 2Mb)
- 5.5Mb HD space
- Mouse

Here's the old website for the game too:

http://web.archive.org/web/200106082...are/Arena/1955

It's a playable demo, but only barely. Pity Magic Rabbit never continued with development after V1.0. Even bigger pity that Gareth Murfin @ Alpha Software was never able to license an official version as he would have been quite capable of delivering something like the PSX version.

Anyway, I'll probably knock up a HOL entry of this PD version by Magic Rabbit so people won't keep wondering about this Resident Evil demo. Enjoy!

@DamienD
I'm sure I can count on you to d/l this, so you can reupload it for others in the future......reupping stuff on dial-up is a pain!
@ DrBong
Thanks loads really pleased you've got this and very kind of you to put it on the zone!!

Thanks everyone for their help
Old 20 May 2007, 15:52   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
@DamienD
Wow, great stuff DrBong. Thank you for the information and upload

...and yes, you can definitely count on me to put it back in The Zone! again when requested
Old 20 May 2007, 16:57   #12
Doozy

...So

So are there any budding programmers out there that could make an engine to do the same as the Demo we have here? Would there be anyone that would have some spare time to complete this project? Would be very cool if this was possible... Imagine using the same engine to make conversions of the likes of Dino Crisis and maybe even Silent Hill! I do appreciate the copyright issues involved in this.. What if, though, a point and click conversion was done and the Copyright holder took notice? Would that inspire them to warrant a proper Amiga conversion?

Well this would be all cool even for the novelty value!

Old 21 May 2007, 01:55   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

clearly some awsome investagative work by magnox and a complete left wing shot in the back of the net by Dr Bong!

sweet.... downloady time... how i love thee.
Old 21 May 2007, 17:13   #14
Jimbo

Awesome. Never knew about this. Plays Ok as well
Old 21 May 2007, 19:34   #15
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Yeh it would be great to find this and get some screenies and put it in the hol with codyjarrets permission. Its would be a little bit of a curios for any who haven't come across it before.

It was kind of cool even it's static screen state to see it on the miggy, I remember telling my friend (who was a playstation fanatic) that I had a resident evil amiga demo. He didn't quite believe me lol
Your wish is my command.......check out the HOL entry for the Amiga Resident Evil demo here:

http://hol.abime.net/5548

Now you can email that old PSX mate of yours and tell him you can show him proof!
Old 21 May 2007, 19:48   #16
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
clearly some awsome investagative work by magnox and a complete left wing shot in the back of the net by Dr Bong!

sweet.... downloady time... how i love thee.
Totally agree, great work!!!
Old 21 May 2007, 19:49   #17
Dizzy
Pirate

Nice DrBong
Old 22 May 2007, 01:07   #18
mrbob2

i remember it also. it was on an amiga mag cover cd. i cant remember the name but it was one of the last amiga mags to be released. amiga active? it was def in `97. i remember tryin the demo but for some reason it didnt work lol i remember being really excited about it. then i got a psx lol
Old 22 May 2007, 10:11   #19
magnox

Quote:
Your wish is my command.......check out the HOL entry for the Amiga Resident Evil demo here:

http://hol.abime.net/5548

Now you can email that old PSX mate of yours and tell him you can show him proof!
lol thx DrBong this is really cool to have this again and ace to see it in the HOL. btw as a small side note I have got a email back from the person who was hosting the resi miggy demo at one point and he is going to have a look to see if he has any other old files (Hopefully we might find some unrealeased beta files to compile and try, which may have more rooms than the demo, can but hope ).

Great work once again all u great EAB guys and thanks!! It just really shows we still have a great community and what we can acomplish together!
Old 23 May 2007, 23:52   #20
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Damn, i see you guys talk about it from quite a while, but... WOWZERZ!!! <input orgasmic growls here>
I've never known there was even a chance for this to happen!!!
Geez, that was THE game, one just can't erase from memory after the first "bite" of the gameplay.
My best gaming buddy showed me it, after getting himself the very first PSX in me region, back in the autumn of '97 - i was the second person, owning that cool toy too, just a few months later in the january of '98
Damn those memories that won't comeback...