English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 January 2019, 01:25   #1
ZEUSDAZ

STARDUST vs SUPER STARDUST - WHICH IS BEST?

Hi everyone and welcome to another edition of "Which is Best?.
Last month I placed the Amiga title screen music of Double Dragon II & 3 against each other asking you which one in your mind sounded best, I can now reveal that after counting the votes Double Dragon II was voted the better title music on the Amiga with 19 votes whilst Double Dragon 3 gained 13, thanks to everyone who took part.

This month (January 2019) I am placing the two Amiga "Stardust" games against each other,...Stardust (Amiga) vs Super Stardust (A1200), many prefer the catchier basier soundtrack and the male voice of the original Stardust over the female voice and music of Super Stardust whereas others prefer the graphical improvements of Super Stardust over Stardust, which do you think is the better game, only your votes will determine that

VOTING CLOSES February 15th 2019.

Stardust vs Super Stardust Video: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 02 July 2022 at 00:55.
Old 18 January 2019, 09:48   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

My vote is for Stardust, because it ran on my A500 Plus the music is awesome. And I still vividly remember seeing the demo for the first time and being blown away by how fun and bombastic an asteroids game can be.

When I saw Super Stardust for the first time it was a very underwhelming experience. Yeah it looks slightly nicer. The tunnel sequence is less bad. Big whoop.
Old 18 January 2019, 10:50   #3
roondar

I have to vote Super Stardust here, I played that game to death - loved it

Not a dig against Stardust, it's a very good game. But I simply liked the sequel better.
Old 18 January 2019, 11:24   #4
jayminer

I prefer Super Stardust, but I must admit I haven't played the original Stardust nearly as much so I haven't really given it the same chance. But I love Super Stardust.
Old 18 January 2019, 11:52   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I played Stardust on my A600 and Super Stardust on PC.

Leaving asthetics behind, Super Stardust is more playable... the difficulty is way more balanced. The original Stardust is freaking hard, sometimes I load it up to show the tunnel sequence to people and most people can't even reach it (I.E, beat the FIRST level).

Both games are amazing, but I would vote for Super just becaause of this.
Old 18 January 2019, 18:57   #6
amuleth

I never played the original but as I saw from the longplays, Super Stardust is superior in every aspect. But only sad thing is that no animated backgrounds anymore. I wish there was a combination of both games in a third game.
Old 18 January 2019, 19:21   #7
Foebane
Banned

I want to know one thing about Stardust games in general: How do I get onto the tunnel stages? I download the game from Retroplay and all I get is a glossy but superficial Asteroids clone. What I really loved about the game was the mind-blowing tunnel sequences that really showed off the Amiga.
Old 18 January 2019, 21:31   #8
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I want to know one thing about Stardust games in general: How do I get onto the tunnel stages? I download the game from Retroplay and all I get is a glossy but superficial Asteroids clone. What I really loved about the game was the mind-blowing tunnel sequences that really showed off the Amiga.
Each level is made of six areas and a boss. After you beat all areas from a level and the boss, you get the Tunnel Sequence which is like a "warp" for the next level.
Old 18 January 2019, 22:42   #9
Nobby_UK

Super StarDust for me.
Old 18 January 2019, 23:38   #10
Pyromania

Super Stardust
Old 19 January 2019, 00:22   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well. I do like to be the non-conformist.
Old 19 January 2019, 07:35   #12
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

It's hands down Super Stardust for me. Besides having more variety, better gfx, more balanced gameplay (and overal polish) it also contains (imho) the superior soundtrack. Deeper, more mature, more varied and definitely "bassier" than the first instalment (both by the same composer btw).

[ Show youtube player ]

Just listen to the oomph of the basslines in the title theme (3:21)! Songs like this one or the special mission suites (30:27 and 34:08) with their awesome, multilayered complexity and groove, still give me the chills

Last edited by Tsak; 19 January 2019 at 07:43.
Old 19 January 2019, 08:40   #13
Hewitson

I personally believe Stardust has the far superior music. Super Stardust is the better game. The original was just too difficult to be enjoyable in my opinion.

My biggest complaint about either of these games is that the weapon selection system sucks.
Old 19 January 2019, 10:22   #14
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Just listen to the oomph of the basslines in the title theme (3:21)! Songs like this one or the special mission suites (30:27 and 34:08) with their awesome, multilayered complexity and groove, still give me the chills
Great music but some of it plays incorrectly in the video you linked - due probably to using some PC player (or wrong conversion, they are originally P61A). Musics at 6:56 and 9:15 both miss some effects.
Btw. menu music (the one at 3:21) is 12 channels S3M.

I found these games both way too difficult and unforgiving, so they are more or less equal to me - apart SSD is more polished technically.
Old 19 January 2019, 13:54   #15
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
It's hands down Super Stardust for me. Besides having more variety, better gfx, more balanced gameplay (and overal polish) it also contains (imho) the superior soundtrack. Deeper, more mature, more varied and definitely "bassier" than the first instalment (both by the same composer btw).

No way dude, original Stardust is far bassier,...but lovely bass, not distorted, sounds fantastic through hifi speakers and headphones and the music on the "stage completed" and loading screen of the tunnel warps sections on Stardust sound so EFFING COOL!
Old 19 January 2019, 20:59   #16
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Great music but some of it plays incorrectly in the video you linked - due probably to using some PC player (or wrong conversion, they are originally P61A). Musics at 6:56 and 9:15 both miss some effects.
Btw. menu music (the one at 3:21) is 12 channels S3M.
Good find man. Yes music at 6:56 seems to miss an effect. Probably wrong conversion or PC player issue indeed. I can't pinpoint the issue with 9:15 though.

It's worth noting that the video I linked has the music retouched (i.e. dolbyfied with selective manual loudness limiting - as the author mentions). He also has an upload of the complete Stardust music under the same specs. Not a bad result overal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
but lovely bass, not distorted, sounds fantastic through hifi speakers and headphones and the music on the "stage completed" and loading screen of the tunnel warps sections on Stardust sound so EFFING COOL!
Loading screen of the tunnel warps sections on Stardust is super badass, no doubt (only too short)
Old 19 January 2019, 22:37   #17
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Super Stardust for me. Loved that game but never managed to get past that damn annoying tunnel sequence. Just seems like luck to me. The asteroids part of the game is good fun though.
Old 27 January 2019, 16:59   #18
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Super Stardust for me also, installing to HD only made it better.. Although I think the first game had the edge on in-game music for me. Very tough call.
Old 29 January 2019, 22:23   #19
d4rk3lf

I saw this game, but wasn't really impressed, because it was basically asteroids clone.
But I saw you guys talk about tunnel levels, so I gotta check it out... just woow.. these levels looks amazing! And it's freaking OCS. And even screen scrolls a bit.
Why they didn't make games just like that? Shooter just like that?

I saw AGA version too... even more impressive, with 2 layers, so it's some sort of 3D parallax.

I know it's all 2D, but very nice illusion of 3D.
Old 30 January 2019, 09:13   #20
Jope
-

Super Stardust out of these two, but even that somehow feels a little tedious to play. Basically I don't get the feeling of satisfaction from blasting the asteroids, I just get the feeling that it's taking too long. :-D