English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 06 April 2015, 19:15   #1
mrvp

Question New to the Amiga Emulation scene (but not the Amiga or Emulation) - controller query

Hi all, I'm new to the Amiga Emulation scene (but not the Amiga - had an A500 ages ago, friends had 500's 1200's etc. and I'm not new to emulator's - I've previously run Mame on a PC). I'm up and running with FS-UAE, have my kick rom (which I may need to tweak - don't think you could run worms on a standard A500), have my game roms (which have generally been fine, my Syndicate 3rd disk is possibly questionable) generally it has been going OK. My query is controllers or joypads for a Mac - where on earth can you buy them on the High Street? I have no problem with buying them online, but went to the Mac Store, went to Game and even resorted to PC World and had no joy I really don't want to do the Playstion or XBox controlled bodge (as it is a bodge), but would really need to get a joypad (I have a Speedball 2 rematch with Super Nashwan that has been about 20 years in the making - I'm winning this time ). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 13 May 2015, 23:22   #2
grizzlyaddams

I'm not sure how it goes over there or what large box department stores you have available, but in the US, you can walk into Target or Walmart, head to the section of the electronics departments where they have mousepads, thumb drives, small PC speaker sets, keyboard, etc, and they have a small selection of Logitech and other well known PC gamepads.

If I went to a local Gamestop however, they generally don't have anything.
Old 13 May 2015, 23:40   #3
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Google told me more than I expected.

For factory-supported devices like the Logitech F310 Gamepad and the Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad, drivers are available from their manufacturers; however, for unsupported devices like Wii Remote, PS3, and Xbox controllers, you will have to use a third-party driver package.

Once the gaming controller is connected, you can use one of several software driver packages to configure its inputs. The first is Joystick Mapper, with which you should be able to configure most gaming controllers. The second is the Tattiebogle driver for Xbox controllers, which should work for both wired and wireless (using the receiver noted above) controllers.

http://joystickmapper.com/

Features:

Use any axis, dpads or buttons on your joystick to simulate keyboard and mouse;
Map any of the 4 directions from an Analog Stick independently;
Analog Shoulder Triggers can be used as buttons;
Smooth mouse movement;
Adjust mouse speed for analog sticks per direction individually, this can help with crappy gamepads;
Any "weird" combination you want:
Button/Dpad/Analog Stick/Analog Trigger --> Keyboard/Mouse/Click/Scroll;
Ready-to-use examples, easily modifiable;
Compatible with USB and Bluetooth Joysticks;
(If it does not explicitly say "Mac compatible", please check compatibility. I have a list of tested gamepads here, please help expanding it) http://www.chibatacreations.com/foru...ic.php?f=6&t=2
Easy to use interface.

Requirements:

A Mac with OS X 10.6.6 or higher;
One or more USB or Bluetooth joysticks/Gamepads;
Just a little bit of disc space.

EDIT: I have the P880 metioned in the compatibility list.It doesn't need any driver on a PC so I guess any standard HID gamepad that comes without a driver should work fine with the software.

Last edited by Michael Sykes; 13 May 2015 at 23:50.
Old 30 August 2015, 20:57   #4
mrvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post

For factory-supported devices like the Logitech F310 Gamepad and the Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad, drivers are available from their manufacturers
Just remembered I forgot to reply to this. The F310 wasn't supposed to work with a Mac (the packaging didn't imply that it did anyway suggested it was PC only - which is helpful ) but I found a recommendation online that it did work so I purchased one from PC World and have been happily using it for the last couple of months