English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 09 February 2014, 21:18   #1
TenLeftFingers

Floppy disk FS-UAE Arcade and detected files

I have more games on my machine than actually turn up on the launcher. They are in the folder that is being scanned - but for example, Lemmings doesn't appear at all.

My questions are:
1) Does the FS-UAE Launcher support games that are not in the database yet?
2) Does FS-UAE Arcade show every game that has been picked up by FS-UAE launcher?

Finally, and most importantly - thank you so much for this incredible piece of software. I don't have time to use it (yet) but I will definitely be leaving a donation (link is here for those of you who don't know: http://fs-uae.net/donate ) once I do start using it.

I have so much software on my Ubuntu machine that it's hard to decide who to donate to but this is a no-brainer.
Old 10 February 2014, 08:48   #2
Goingdown

Hi,

1) Not automatically... Only the games which are in database will appear to launcher after scan. You can add games manually to launcher though. But I would recommend you to request missing games to be added to database - it is easiest method.
If you have game which is not appearing to launcher even if it is on database, then you probably have custom or modified variant of the game which is not defined to database. Launcher uses SHA1 checksum to check that files you have are matching the game on database.

2) Yes, automatically picked ones. But not ones you have added manually.
Old 10 February 2014, 22:25   #3
TenLeftFingers

Hi Goingdown, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll definitely make requests for the database then as there's a lot that could be added. When I get time (after the honeymoon) I might get to work on missing artwork too.
Old 10 February 2014, 22:39   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

By all means enjoy your honeymoon!

...plus you'll see that added more games only take a day or maybe two
Old 11 February 2014, 22:59   #5
TenLeftFingers

Thank you TCD I've been looking at the database and my next question is: how come some games listed there (Flashback, Gods) don't show in FS-UAE under 'All Games and Configurations'?

They weren't listed there before or after I scanned. Is the 'All Games and Configurations' not based on DB entries?
Old 12 February 2014, 00:02   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

The Launcher only shows the games it finds on your system (among those recognized by the database). So if a game does not appear, either you don't have that game, or you don't have the floppy disks the database expects.

Some games have a multitude of alternative disk versions - not all are supported - and additionally, modified disks (say if highscores or savegames are stored on the game disks - won't be recognized).
Old 12 February 2014, 00:31   #7
TenLeftFingers

But since it displays all games from database (even ones I don't have), shouldn't I at least see them in the list?
Old 12 February 2014, 07:54   #8
Goingdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
But since it displays all games from database (even ones I don't have), shouldn't I at least see them in the list?
I think it shows games which you have plus games which are downloadable either automatically or manually depending of your setting.

Frode, would it be possible to have setting to show "All games"? It then would show all games which are defined in database.
Old 12 February 2014, 13:46   #9
TenLeftFingers

Ah okay, so not quite what I thought. It's a bit unclear. Maybe change the behaviour or else the wording?

I've been checking the DB to see if there are any gaps and it seems that the games I'm interested in adding do exist there. So they just need to added to the automatic download feature to make the database and that feature symmetrical.

I'm happy to help where I can. In the mean time I will try a different version of the games in question.
Old 14 February 2014, 01:15   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingdown View Post
Frode, would it be possible to have setting to show "All games"? It then would show all games which are defined in database.
Yes It is actually possible right now as well, but I have improved it so it will work a bit better in 2.4.0 final. I'll not add an UI option for it right now (since that would require translation), but you can either search for:
Code:
have:false
in the search box, or you can go into advanced settings and set the option
Code:
database_show_games = 0
(the option name is misleading, it really means "show games with status 0 or above", 0 being games you don't have).

The only new improvement I have done is making missing games more visible in the game list if you show missing games (no icon, and grayed out text).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
So they just need to added to the automatic download feature to make the database and that feature symmetrical.
Unfortunately, automatic downloads will only be enabled for games which are either freely distributable, or where oagd.net gets a distribution agreement.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 14 February 2014 at 10:29. Reason: fixed database option name
Old 14 February 2014, 08:46   #11
Goingdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Code:
have:false
in the search box, or you can go into advanced settings and set the option
Code:
show_database_games = 0
(the option name is misleading, it really mean show games with status 0 or above, where 0 means you don't have the game).
Ok, search with have:false works, I can see bunch of games which I don't have. But advanced setting show_database_games = 0 does not seem to do anything?
Old 14 February 2014, 10:28   #12
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Sorry, it was obviously too late -it should be:
Code:
database_show_games = 0
Old 14 February 2014, 20:29   #13
Goingdown

Thanks, that works.
Old 22 March 2016, 09:43   #14
maxfactor

Hi,

how can I search for incomplete sets (for example a game whose adf has been found but not its ips or whd)

how "update file database" works? Have I to rescan thousand of files again if I just have one new rom only?

Thanks
Gian

Old 22 March 2016, 13:12   #15
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfactor View Post
Hi, how can I search for incomplete sets (for example a game whose adf has been found but not its ips or whd)
There isn't any function to generate such a report (the information is available in the Launcher.sqlite database though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfactor View Post
how "update file database" works? Have I to rescan thousand of files again if I just have one new rom only?
(I'm assuming that by "rom" you mean floppy disk images or other game media).

"Update file database" will traverse all the directories in the scan list, yes. But, I will be much quicker than the initial scan, because file information is indexed in Files.sqlite. If a file size/time has not changed, the file will be skipped (also applies to files within archives, the entire archive will be skipped if size/time has not changed).
Old 22 March 2016, 14:43   #16
maxfactor

Great. Thanks. Sorry for the site-post-cross at http://fs-uae.net/faq/comment-page-5#comment-939821.

Old 07 June 2019, 20:32   #17
methodman

Thanks I was able to get the games working (WHDLoad) but how do I put snaps into the program. I have tried placing them in the documents folder and in one set they are alphabetically arranged in folders. Then I tried Simply Austins Amiga pack and those didn't work either. So I'm missing something. Also I can't get Launchbox to load FS-uae. I have a collection of roms set up but I can't get the emulator to work from Launchbox. I have watched the video's which really are good but am missing something