English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 July 2021, 22:43   #1
Adagio

Can't open configuration GUI v4.4.0

I'm not sure how, but somehow I managed to destroy the option to show the GUI, making it impossible to edit the configurations, unless I know the code for the different options. I have tried to search for a place where I could find the codes for the uae file, but so far I have had no such luck

My first guess for showing the GUI would be by setting "use_gui=yes" to my config file, but that doesn't do anything. Running the file will still jump right into the game. This is my end goal as I'm setting up a computer for my parents, so they can quickly play their favorite games without messing with the GUI. But at the moment I am still missing the settings for their joystick, which I have no idea how to correctly add to the uae file

Running winuae64.exe also just opens in full screen. From what I can read I'm just supposed to press F12, but that just closes Winuae. The process seems to be fully closed, so it's not just a window hidden outside view

I tried reinstalling, but that didn't do anything at all

Any idea on what I messed up? How to get the gui back?
Old 27 July 2021, 23:19   #2
Radertified

Perhaps your default configurations have been overwritten with bad values? Try renaming/deleting the folder "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files" and launching WinUAE again?

One thing you could try is running WinUAE with the following:

Quote:
winuae64.exe -cfg param use_gui=yes -s use_gui=yes
which should hopefully force the GUI to open. From there you should be able to fix whatever might be broken (presumably Miscellaneous -> Show GUI on startup).

What I'm not sure about is why F12 doesn't work for you.

Toni would probably be the one that would have a definitive answer as to what's happening.
Old 27 July 2021, 23:27   #3
Adagio

Thanks, unfortunately none of those works. As far as I can tell, there are no configuration files anywhere in the Amiga Files folder. Removing the folder doesn't do anything

Also the command line doesn't work either. No errors or anything
Old 27 July 2021, 23:36   #4
Radertified

I've attached a stock A500 config. Maybe try that?

Quote:
winuae64.exe -config=Tester.uae
If it also doesn't bring up the GUI, I'm stumped.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Tester.uae (11.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 29 July 2021, 19:00   #5
Adagio

Thanks, unfortunately that one doesn't do anything either. It just goes straight to what can be seen in the attached screenshot

When I started to get this PC ready for my parents, I had the exact opposite problem. No matter what I did, it always went to the GUI and it was driving me nuts. But now I need to configure something, but the GUI is not showing up at all aaarrrggg
I don't remember doing anything between when the GUI was always showing to when it decided not to show anymore. It's a brand new PC and very little other software installed on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede 2021-07-29 185228.png
Views:	67
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	72707  
Old 29 July 2021, 19:22   #6
Adagio

After running winuae64.exe -log -inputlog 1 I can shortly see the following lines:

'C:\Amiga\Configuration\configuration.cache' load failed
'C:\Amiga\Configuration\configuration.cache' flushed

This is the same folder as my game configuration files
The cache file is empy, so it's understandable that it fails during load. But what is supposed to be in this file?

Deleting the file doesn't help. It just makes Winuae close much faster. Also note that the logwindow also closes, so I have something like 2 second to read anything in the log, but so far I didn't notice anything interesting

Last edited by Adagio; 29 July 2021 at 19:30.
Old 29 July 2021, 19:26   #7
Radertified

That file is a cache of your configuration files so WinUAE can process them a lot quicker. In your case it wouldn't matter, but for anyone with hundreds of configs, it helps.

I'm not sure why your GUI won't appear (and F12 doesn't work), so hopefully Toni sees your posts and can help out.
Old 29 July 2021, 19:30   #8
Radertified

Actually, here's a suggestion.

Maybe try unpacking WinUAE again into a new folder, and then running it in portable mode?

Quote:
winuae64.exe -portable
Old 29 July 2021, 19:36   #9
Adagio

That gives some interesting insight into the problem. Using portable I can start it in GUI mode. When I set the path for configuration to the correct folder and went to the configuration tab, the GUI closes down. I copied one of the configurations to another folder and did the same, this time the GUI did not close down. So one of the configurations is directly responsible for this
This information is useful, now I should be able to do what I need to do

Thanks a lot, this helped me a lot
Old 29 July 2021, 19:39   #10
Radertified

Fantastic!

I get the feeling it's a registry problem. You can try deleting the registry key if you're comfortable with that sort of thing: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Arabuusimiehet". Once that's deleted, I'm guessing things will work again. Or maybe deleting that and "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files".

Or if you're ok continuing in portable mode, that'll work too.
Old 29 July 2021, 19:50   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Include also -log in command line. Perhaps log shows something useful.
Old 29 July 2021, 20:00   #12
Adagio

I have been messing around with the registry many times, so that one is no stranger to me.
But I did find the files that was messing with it. I had a subfolder called backup, that contains configurations made from an old version of Winuae. All files are the same, except pointing to a different disk file. I don't have any use for them anymore, so by deleting it I can now enter the GUI without using portable
Old 29 July 2021, 20:07   #13
Adagio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Include also -log in command line. Perhaps log shows something useful.

Unfortunately it doesn't show anything. Nothing is written in the log window before it closes
Old 29 July 2021, 20:21   #14
Radertified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
I have been messing around with the registry many times, so that one is no stranger to me.
But I did find the files that was messing with it. I had a subfolder called backup, that contains configurations made from an old version of Winuae. All files are the same, except pointing to a different disk file. I don't have any use for them anymore, so by deleting it I can now enter the GUI without using portable
I'm glad you've got it figured out!
Old 29 July 2021, 20:49   #15
Adagio

And I'm very thankful for all your help
Old 30 July 2021, 09:25   #16
Tomislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Did you deleted/renamed winuae.ini where winuae.exe is? If you did not that, you are still using portable mode.

Last edited by Tomislav; 03 August 2021 at 08:36.