English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 05 August 2021, 00:50   #1
Malakie

Where can we get AmigaOS 3.x versions?

I am trying to get my Amiga's working again after a long time away due to serving ... I am in need of 3.1 or 3.5 or 3.9 install disks but I can't seem to find them available anymore, anywhere.

Where can we get the old Amiga OS versions? I realize the new Amiga OS 4.x stuff is only for the new Amiga hardware and can only be had by buying it but there has to be a source for us to get the older OS's that Commodore released which are now abandonware being they went out of business.

Anyone help on this one?
Old 05 August 2021, 01:06   #2
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

So you can get all the old OS disks up to 3.1 from Amiga Forever. They are still actively sold and maintained.

We also just got 3.2 which followed 3.1.4 a couple of years ago. These two can also be bought from most Amiga resellers today. They are an awesome update to the classic OS’s with fixes to lots of bugs, support for large disks, etc.

I am more of a classic guy, so don’t really know about the status of 3.5 & 3.9.
Old 05 August 2021, 01:45   #3
kriz

Since you already own a license with your Amiga you should enter in google: amiga workbench adf download .. My first hit gets the files
Old 05 August 2021, 02:21   #4
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Since you already own a license with your Amiga you should enter in google: amiga workbench adf download .. My first hit gets the files
I only found ONE link for that and downloaded that archive.. it's empty.

Did you find more than one link for that?
Old 05 August 2021, 02:22   #5
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
So you can get all the old OS disks up to 3.1 from Amiga Forever. They are still actively sold and maintained.

We also just got 3.2 which followed 3.1.4 a couple of years ago. These two can also be bought from most Amiga resellers today. They are an awesome update to the classic OS’s with fixes to lots of bugs, support for large disks, etc.

I am more of a classic guy, so don’t really know about the status of 3.5 & 3.9.
Actually those should be in the archive for their versions right? I just updated to v9 for my laptop I use as an Amiga with the Amikit and cloanto combined on it.
Old 05 August 2021, 09:15   #6
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

You know Malakie, I have been so focused on the classic systems, I never looked. Another world for me to explore.

Personally, I don’t like downloading from random sites anymore. Too bigger a security risk.
Old 05 August 2021, 10:41   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Or change the search terms to : " amiga workbench 3.5 iso download " since 3.5 and 3.9 were sold in CD format (at least when I bought them BitD).
Old 05 August 2021, 14:05   #8
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Actually those should be in the archive for their versions right? I just updated to v9 for my laptop I use as an Amiga with the Amikit and cloanto combined on it.
If you upgraded to V9, you have all the disks already. I am not at my computer right now, but I seem to remember the disks were in the "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\Shared\adf" folder.

So now it would just be a case of making floppy disks of those ADF's.
Old 05 August 2021, 14:20   #9
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

There's no OS3.5/3.9/3.1.4/3.1.4.1/3.2 in Amiga Forever.
Old 05 August 2021, 16:17   #10
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Yeah, as Minuous says, 3.14, 3.1.4.1 & 3.2 are from Hyperion Entertainment. I should of mentioned that up top.

Thanks for clearing up the 3.5 & 3.9 situation Minuous.
Old 05 August 2021, 18:02   #11
Daedalus

Whether you agree with it or not, "abandonware" isn't an actual thing in a legal sense, but anyway, even Worbench 3.1 is still being sold. Also, a licence is associated with an Amiga, but only for the version it was supplied with. If your Amiga came with Workbench 2.05, it doesn't give you a licence for 3.1, 3.2, or anything other than 2.05.

Amiga Forever includes them though, as mentioned, so you should have them already.

For reference, 3.5 and 3.9 are owned by Haage & Partner. 3.9 made 3.5 largely obsolete, as it was essentially an update to 3.5 with some nice additions. 3.9 was still sold until quite recently, but appears to be out of stock now. 3.2 includes many of the 3.9 improvements anyway, and there are probably good alternatives to most of the additions that didn't make it into 3.2.
Old 05 August 2021, 19:58   #12
zipper

Inventory of a finished Amiga shop were bought by an Amigan - seems some 3.5 CD is still available ( Finnish) : http://www.amigarage.fi/apps.html
Old 05 August 2021, 20:04   #13
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Yip agreed Daedalus. I think Malakie has already bought AF.
Old 05 August 2021, 21:29   #14
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
You know Malakie, I have been so focused on the classic systems, I never looked. Another world for me to explore.

Personally, I don’t like downloading from random sites anymore. Too bigger a security risk.
Agree.. And the fact I can't find a place to get the OS that we are already entitled to for our actual machines, is not right.

Up and until the last version Commodore sent out, those OS's are free for anyone with the hardware. So what I don't understand is where are the archives? There should be quite a few copies out there. I am trying to remember the last official version I was given while there and I think it was 3.1 if my memory is correct.. I would have to do some digging to see if that is correct, but I am pretty sure 3.1 was the last "official" release.

The ONLY versions of the OS that are not covered are any that were produced and released AFTER Commodore stop building machines. But anything made and released while hardware was still made and sold, is free to those with the hardware.
Old 05 August 2021, 22:32   #15
Daedalus

No, they're not free for anyone with the hardware - what gave you that idea? Each machine came with a licence for a particular version, and if you wanted to upgrade it, the upgrade was a paid-for product with its own licence. So you're entitled to the version that came with your machine and that's it.
Old 05 August 2021, 22:33   #16
ma693541
Computer Wizard

@Malakie, boy you are wrong. The OS's are not free for anyone with the hardware. The OS's for an A1000, A500, A500+, A600, A1200, A4000 and so one give you a license to use it on the machine it follows when you buy it, but no one can stop you to use this OS's on another Amiga, real or emulated thru an emulator on your Mac, PC with Linux or Windows. Under emulation you even need the Kickstart ROM file for the Amiga you want to emulate+the OS. Even AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Final Edition can run in an emulated A1200 or A4000 if the host f.ex. an PC have DUAL Core or better CPU.
Old 05 August 2021, 22:39   #17
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
No, they're not free for anyone with the hardware - what gave you that idea? Each machine came with a licence for a particular version, and if you wanted to upgrade it, the upgrade was a paid-for product with its own licence. So you're entitled to the version that came with your machine and that's it.
Wrong and btw, I worked for Commodore in real life back then. The OS was available free of charge to ANYONE WITH the hardware. There were no fees or charges to replace bad copies or lost copies or anything else.

If you bought a machine, you got the OS. If you had a bad copy, you got a free copy to replace it. Commodore was not Microsoft. All updates were free to those with the hardware. PERIOD.
Old 05 August 2021, 22:43   #18
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
@Malakie, boy you are wrong. The OS's are not free for anyone with the hardware. The OS's for an A1000, A500, A500+, A600, A1200, A4000 and so one give you a license to use it on the machine it follows when you buy it, but no one can stop you to use this OS's on another Amiga, real or emulated thru an emulator on your Mac, PC with Linux or Windows. Under emulation you even need the Kickstart ROM file for the Amiga you want to emulate+the OS. Even AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Final Edition can run in an emulated A1200 or A4000 if the host f.ex. an PC have DUAL Core or better CPU.
If you bought the machine, you had license to use ANY COMMODORE OS. And I clearly said UP UNTIL COMMODORE FOLDED, any OFFICIAL OS released was available to anyone with the computer for free.

And as I pointed out to another member, I WORKED for Commodore so I am well aware of that fact.

It was not just 'free' to be had just because you wanted it and it surely was not free for emulation just because you wanted to have it. But it sure as heck was free for anyone with the hardware.

The copies of the AmigaOS were NOT machine tied. They had NO serial numbers or other identifiers tying them to any one machine.. PERIOD.

I can't tell you how many copies of new upgrades and versions of Amiga OS I handed out in the years I worked there and worked the technical side of the Amiga series, or the numerous dealers I took both OS copies and hardware to and showed them the new changes etc or even the USER GROUPS I was asked to talk to and did the same...

Up through v3.1, every OS was free of charge to anyone with an Amiga, actual Amiga hardware.
Old 05 August 2021, 22:49   #19
Daedalus

A free copy to replace the version you had? So, a replacement of the same version? That's fine, of course, and not at all what you're talking about.

But why then did Commodore sell upgrade packs, if you could just ask for one and get it free? Man, all those people who paid for the upgrades are gonna be so pissed now...

Nobody mentioned serial numbers, and everybody knows there's no protection on the software, but being possible and being permitted are two different things.
Old 05 August 2021, 22:52   #20
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

As Daedalus points out, you're still wrong - sorry. You got a version with your machine, but you always paid to get a newer version. I don't care if you worked for them or not, there was no way they'd send out a new KS ROM and OS Disk Set for free.

If what you say is true why would something like this exist as a retail product to let people upgrade their machines?

You may have been given replacement defective disks for free, but you always had to pay to get a new Kickstart ROM and matching OS revisions - unless you had some strange employee perks maybe?