English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 September 2017, 18:04   #181
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Organism, Legend of Atlantis and more! Teased with new C64 footage by Trevor Storey

Quote:
Even though I should be taking a break today going by the fact it's my Birthday, I thought this was too good to miss as Trevor Storey has released a new video containing footage for three upcoming C64 games, Organism by Trevor Storey/Achim Volkers, Legend of Atlantis by Trevor Storey/Stuart Collier and Soulless 2 by Trevor Storey and Georg Rottensteiner. These three games have been featured before but not in such visual detail, as now you can get an impression of the music by the awesome Saul Cross, and enjoy a snippet of the rather cool gameplay!
http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/0...-and-more.html

Old 29 September 2017, 14:25   #182
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere, but there is now a C64 mini coming out.

https://thec64.com/

It looks very cute and tempting but has some drawbacks, apparently the keyboard does not work and is only for show, you would need to plug in a usb keyboard(which is probably pointless as the games it comes with would most likely not need a keyboard anyway).
Also while it comes with some nice games, there are many classics missing, it's a real shame it does not appear to have an sd card slot so you could load up your own roms onto it, seems like a missed opportunity.

With all these mini console and computers coming out, it would seem a better idea to just get a raspberry pi or and android tv box, load it up with whatever emulators and roms you want and plug in some usb pads, less clutter and better versatility.

Of course if the C64 mini gets hacked and allows you to load your own roms onto it, it might be more tempting.
But i think i will just stick to my real C64, 1084s monitor and C64SD Infinity for my retro 64 gaming fix.
Old 29 September 2017, 14:32   #183
Romanujan

Strange... how does one connect cartridge, floppy drive, or a tape deck to this C64?
Old 29 September 2017, 14:36   #184
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
Strange... how does one connect cartridge, floppy drive, or a tape deck to this C64?
The answer is you don't, it's very limited by the looks of things.
Old 29 September 2017, 14:37   #185
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere, but there is now a C64 mini coming out.

https://thec64.com/
Yeah, saw this one a while back and doesn't turn me on in any way. It is basically just a Pi-like board running an emulator packed in a cute case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
You can't.
Old 29 September 2017, 14:55   #186
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I think they are trying to cash in on the NES and SNES Mini craze hoping to make some dollars out of it.

Apart from the admittedly cute looks of the C64 mini and the fact it may appeal to some casual retro gamers, it's not for hardcore commodore fans.
Old 29 September 2017, 15:29   #187
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I think they are trying to cash in on the NES and SNES Mini craze hoping to make some dollars out of it.

Apart from the admittedly cute looks of the C64 mini and the fact it may appeal to some casual retro gamers, it's not for hardcore commodore fans.
No, then they would have to build it around some FPGA design instead of using emulation.

The NES Classic is also an emulation solution, but since it is a console without all the peripherals of the C64, emulation is not so bad. The only thing that emulation prevents on the NES Classic is to be able to use original carts, but it is not a major drawback if you ask me.
Old 29 September 2017, 15:47   #188
BarryB
Amigaholic

The64 has been discussed over on Lemon64, along with some concerns about the project!

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63181
Old 29 September 2017, 17:21   #189
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Another rubbish atempt. Well, but it will work from what i've read in forums/newsites. People are interested in such a plug&play device. No matter how cheap it feels in the end. Lame game selection and the keyboard is a fake of course.
Old 29 September 2017, 17:50   #190
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Lame game selection
I wouldn't say the games they selected are lame, there are some real classics in there like-
Armalyte, California Games, Creatures, Impossible Mission, Iridis Alpha, Mega Apocalypse, Nebulous, Cybernoid 2, Paradroid and a few others, there certainly not lame.

It's just that the C64 had so many more classics that aren't here.
Why release something like this with 40 games, why not make it hundreds of classics, or give it an SD card slot to add more roms!
Old 29 September 2017, 17:53   #191
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Very strange. I assume the Indiegogo backer are still waiting for their devices in normal size and the hand held. But since Nintendo released their SNES Mini these days they decided something else. Urg, the crappy Competition Pro clone alone...
Old 29 September 2017, 17:55   #192
Amiga1992

Quote:
Why release something like this with 40 games, why not make it hundreds of classics, or give it an SD card slot to add more roms!
Licensing, that's why.

There's no point in a thing like "the" C64, it's just a novelty for morons. Same with the NES mini, SNES mini, Neogeo X, etc
Old 29 September 2017, 18:54   #193
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
There's no point in a thing like "the" C64, it's just a novelty for morons. Same with the NES mini, SNES mini, Neogeo X, etc
Oi! When I was little I couldn't be a spoiled brat because my parents couldn't give me all them fancy toys (I got a second hand Amiga 500, bless them). I shall now not be named a moron for catching up and wasting my disposable income on toys I will play with 5 times and then throw into a box - like the spoiled brat I always longed to be.
Old 01 October 2017, 00:48   #194
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

And finally you can order Sam's Journey!!!

http://www.protovision-online.de/sho...99&language=en
Old 01 October 2017, 00:54   #195
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

"From 45,00 EUR."

Is it then that the cheapest option?
Old 01 October 2017, 00:57   #196
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

For physical media, yes. Disk = 45 Euro, Cartridge = 55 Euro. The digital download (which is also included if you buy the boxed versions) it's app 19.95 Euro (available in December too). And they need the money NOW. Or they can't produce the 670 pre-registered boxed versions.
Old 01 October 2017, 01:13   #197
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I would buy now the downloadable version and I don't mind to have it in december.

Downloadable versions incomings can always help to release physical releases.

Maybe they could include that option if they need the money now.

They also could add a discount to get the cartridge or disk for people when they try the game with that future downloadable version and that want to have it afterwards.

And also, is there a demo or something to try for real before expending 45€? I know the game is great, but... you know, money costs.

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 October 2017 at 02:01.
Old 01 October 2017, 01:15   #198
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Interesting option. Maybe you should ask if they could add this to the shop.
Old 01 October 2017, 01:23   #199
BarryB
Amigaholic

Ordered my Disk version and CD + Poster about an hour ago

Let's hope Santa gets his arse in gear and delivers, if not, RUDOLPH gets it
Old 01 October 2017, 01:32   #200
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Come on, Barry B. When are you going to make a series of videos showing some portion of your C64= stuff?

You've got to have the best collection ever

Edit: Talking seriously: I would subscribe and I believe that the most of us would do. I think you've got stored a museum of the best C64 games -including the best of the latest releases- in their best conditions.

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 October 2017 at 02:03.