English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 January 2011, 04:18   #1
Djay
95th User

ACA 1230/56 Accelerator

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1005

has anyone bought one yet? any feedback?

i would like to know what sort modification is required to the trapdoor?
whether you need to raise the Amiga (i.e. extra high feet)?
the price is much higher than the ACA 1230/28 version, is it worth it?
what does the ACAtune tool actually allow you do?
i will be using it on a 3.1 machine is that ok?
is there anything better for an A1200D that is older technology?

thanks for any info
Old 19 January 2011, 10:27   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1005

has anyone bought one yet? any feedback?

i would like to know what sort modification is required to the trapdoor?
whether you need to raise the Amiga (i.e. extra high feet)?
the price is much higher than the ACA 1230/28 version, is it worth it?
what does the ACAtune tool actually allow you do?
i will be using it on a 3.1 machine is that ok?
is there anything better for an A1200D that is older technology?

thanks for any info
Slight modification is required to the trapdoor. I have seen pics where people have hacked their case apart. Its not needed, just the trapdoor is fine.
Yes it also seems abit angled, again nothing to worry about, mod the trapdoor and it fits fine. Every A1230 that has left us, has been tested in my very own A1200 and every single one fitted fine, although abit tight to fit in.

It gives a decent speed increase over the 28MHz, when combined with ACATune, it will squeeze more speed out of it, like all the other cards when using ACATune.

Yes it will work fine with 3.1, it will also autoconfig the fast ram, where as 3.0 needs ACATune to be run, to addmem.

Im sure people will say there are better things out there, but this is a new card with warranty.
Old 19 January 2011, 11:43   #3
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Slight modification is required to the trapdoor. I have seen pics where people have hacked their case apart. Its not needed, just the trapdoor is fine.
Yes it also seems abit angled, again nothing to worry about, mod the trapdoor and it fits fine. Every A1230 that has left us, has been tested in my very own A1200 and every single one fitted fine, although abit tight to fit in.
You must be a very patient man, there is no way that my 1230/28 (im a douche if there different ) could be fitted without the top case being removed, one of the motherboard screws being loosened, and part of the trapdoor housing being trimmed off. I also bent some metal back just to be safe!
Old 19 January 2011, 12:20   #4
Djay
95th User

Thanks for the info.. FOL.. I don't mind opening up my A1200... It's nearly out of warranty and the case wasn't fitted back properly after I had the hd installed... So no problems there... I will probably buy a spare trapdoor, any chance that amigakit will neatly mod the trapdoor?

Also how does the optional clock fit?

Any one have any piccies? Or maybe could record a clip and up to YouTube of it in action...

I know there are a lot of questions, but it not exacty cheap... But don't get me wrong I think it will be worth every penny!!!
Old 19 January 2011, 13:28   #5
Paul_s

Boo, your pictures don't work

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...x.php?cPath=43

I wish Amigakit would show women modelling hardware. Sigh - they used to in the mid-80's/early 1990's.
Old 19 January 2011, 15:22   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
You must be a very patient man, there is no way that my 1230/28 (im a douche if there different ) could be fitted without the top case being removed, one of the motherboard screws being loosened, and part of the trapdoor housing being trimmed off. I also bent some metal back just to be safe!
Theres a way to do it.
Line it up, where it gets caught (plastic of connector), push that gently, while applying pressure to edge of card and it pops ins.

Never had one not fit in my A1200 with all the screws in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Boo, your pictures don't work

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...x.php?cPath=43

I wish Amigakit would show women modelling hardware. Sigh - they used to in the mid-80's/early 1990's.
It looks exactly the same as 28MHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Thanks for the info.. FOL.. I don't mind opening up my A1200... It's nearly out of warranty and the case wasn't fitted back properly after I had the hd installed... So no problems there... I will probably buy a spare trapdoor, any chance that amigakit will neatly mod the trapdoor?

Also how does the optional clock fit?

Any one have any piccies? Or maybe could record a clip and up to YouTube of it in action...

I know there are a lot of questions, but it not exacty cheap... But don't get me wrong I think it will be worth every penny!!!
Yes we can mod a trapdoor,
Clock is a simply push in type. (the new clocks we have instock, are missing 2 legs, this is due to them having an internal crystal).
As for pics, Im very busy at the moment, but I will see what I can do.

Last edited by FOL; 19 January 2011 at 15:28.
Old 19 January 2011, 15:48   #7
Djay
95th User

Thanks for the info!!!

The request for pics was aimed at anyone, not directly at you fol... I will have probably ordered it before you get the chance to take photos