English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 24 April 2013, 17:32   #1
csxlab

Install AmigaOS 3.1 in Real Amiga HD or CF

Hi all, I've been trying to install a Workbench 3.1 in an 60Gb HD or in a 2Gb CF Card.

I've installed the HD in the A1200 (rev. 1D4), succesfully made a 1Gb Partition and a 2Gb Partition just to make things running.

I have been unsuccesfull with the CF card, tryed all the tutorials in the internet, and it won't boot from the CF card. When I try to do the same with the HD, in WinUAE it gives me access denied.

So after all of this, as I'm a mac user, i wanted to see if this is doable through FS-UAE. If it goes right I would manage to do a step-by-step tutorial for future reference for Amiga-Mac users.

So My question for now I guess is ... how to get FS-UAE to read the external CF card. I mean ... it reads it, but shouldn't I run admnistrative privileges or something?
WB3.1

FS-UAE Config:

# FS-UAE configuration saved by FS-UAE Launcher
# Last saved: 2013-04-24 18:10:12

[fs-uae]
amiga_model = A1200/020
chip_memory = 2048
fast_memory = 8192
floppy_drive_0 = amiga-os-310-install.adf
hard_drive_0 = /Volumes/CFAmiga
kickstart_file = amiga-os-310-a1200.rom
uaegfx_card = 1
zorro_iii_memory = 131072

in a Macbook Pro | OSX 10.8.3

P.S.: After a few hours of being On, it reboots with a Guru Meditation - Software Failure, and after that every 10m or so it reboots with the error. Anyone know by chance what could be wrong? Caps?

Last edited by csxlab; 24 April 2013 at 18:53.

Old 24 April 2013, 18:24   #2
csxlab

Update v01:

Reading the threads:

- [FS-UAE] Boot a real compact flash card on OSX ?: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65366

- Directory hard drives with full support for file attributes: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67882

- FS-UAE & real Amiga hard drives on OS X [Solved]: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67082

- [Guide] Installing AmigaOS 3.9 with FS-UAE: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67429

- Problem with hard drive and save states, and a few other questions: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67591

- FS-UAE mounting PC devices to WB: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67507

Let's see what I come up with

Last edited by csxlab; 24 April 2013 at 18:35.

Old 24 April 2013, 18:43   #3
csxlab

Update v02:

will try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
You must first figure out what device your Amiga HD/CF is, say it is /dev/disk2...

Then, assuming this Amiga HD/CF has an RDB header, just use FS-UAE option hard_drive_0 = /dev/disk2

As noted in a previous post here, you must have permissions to use the device, for full read/write permissions, you can use something like:
Code:
chmod a+rw /dev/disk2
Warning: this will give all users read/write access to the device, and make sure to use the correct device.
Well, in my case I got the following info from OSX:

Quote:
Name : CFAmiga
Type : Partition

Disk Identifier : disk3s1
Mount Point : /Volumes/CFAmiga
Step 01 .... Edited the FS-UAE config file:
Quote:
[fs-uae]
amiga_model = A1200/020
chip_memory = 2048
fast_memory = 8192
floppy_drive_0 = amiga-os-310-install.adf
hard_drive_0 = /dev/disk3s1
kickstart_file = amiga-os-310-a1200.rom
uaegfx_card = 1
zorro_iii_memory = 131072
Step 02 .... Terminal command for r/w:
Quote:
chmod a+rw /dev/disk3s1
Step 03 .... Fire up FS-UAE:

So it runs Install Workbench 3.1 and it sees the CFcard

Next, I've runned "Get Information" from HDToolBox:

.... should I change the scsi for uaehf ?

After this, it is still not seen in HDToolBox

Last edited by csxlab; 24 April 2013 at 19:17.

Old 25 April 2013, 20:19   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, you probably want to use /dev/disk3 (the entire disk) instead of /dev/disk3s1 (a single partition)...

(You must also likely make sure none of the partitions are mounted/used by OS X...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csxlab View Post
.... should I change the scsi for uaehf ?
Yes, you should use uaehf.device!

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention: while the CF-card is not already partitioned for Amiga (which I assume it isn't, since a "Mac-compatible" volume shows up on your computer), you'll also need to use: hard_drive_0_type = rdb

If the hard disk / CF-card is already formatted, this option is not needed since FS-UAE will auto-detect the RDSK header.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 25 April 2013 at 21:49.
Old 26 April 2013, 14:58   #5
nexusle
Banned

I could remember, that in MAC OS X partitioned hard disks doesn't work "out of the box" in FS-UAE. In past I must setup the disk in Windows with "diskpart" to delete every partition on it.
Old 26 April 2013, 15:36   #6
lesta_smsc

Wow - your screenshots appear VERY smooth in terms of the text and image quality! What plugins did you enable to get this i.e. what is your graphics options!?
Old 26 April 2013, 18:12   #7
yesplease

yes the screenshots are very impressive, I like the shade, the colors and the round edges... it feels like it is flying... ;-)

@csxlab: any progress on your booting problem ?
Old 01 May 2013, 22:32   #8
csxlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Hi, you probably want to use /dev/disk3 (the entire disk) instead of /dev/disk3s1 (a single partition)...

(You must also likely make sure none of the partitions are mounted/used by OS X...)

Yes, you should use uaehf.device!

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention: while the CF-card is not already partitioned for Amiga (which I assume it isn't, since a "Mac-compatible" volume shows up on your computer), you'll also need to use: hard_drive_0_type = rdb

If the hard disk / CF-card is already formatted, this option is not needed since FS-UAE will auto-detect the RDSK header.

Ok, I'm going to try it, later I found alreadt that I should use the full disk, let me see what I can get.

Old 01 May 2013, 22:33   #9
csxlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Wow - your screenshots appear VERY smooth in terms of the text and image quality! What plugins did you enable to get this i.e. what is your graphics options!?

Hi, I used mac osx screen grabber, just use the combination keys shift+cmd+4 and when the air pin to select area appears, just click space bar and select the window you want to screen grab

Old 01 May 2013, 22:34   #10
csxlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
yes the screenshots are very impressive, I like the shade, the colors and the round edges... it feels like it is flying... ;-)

@csxlab: any progress on your booting problem ?
Was a long weekend, I'm going to try now, lost some time in winuae preparing a classic workbench in an HD .... looks nice but in a 2mb amiga is always out of memory hehe

Old 02 May 2013, 00:19   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

As anybody asks, (offtopic) how can I post such wonderful images like you do?