English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 January 2022, 00:56   #1
psoma

Furia A600 (usually) fails to softboot off IDE SD card after maprom/shadowrom

Hi,

My Furia is working like an absolute dream after a firmware update 6 months ago. Only lingering irritation I have is that after shadowing or mapping my KS3.1 ROM, soft reboots (ie. Ctrl A + A) tend to fail to boot off the HDD and instead go immediately to the KS insert disk screen.

If I hit Ctrl A + A another 5 or 6 times, it'll finally "catch" the HDD and boot fine.

If I'm not using shadow or maprom, it boots off the HDD every time (and - when I first shadow or map the rom, that software initiated reboot always works... it only fails on subsequent boots).

Anyone else experiencing this and/or can suggest a fix?? It's almost like once the ROM is shadowed, it's not giving sufficient time for the disk to become ready... tried turning off ide speedup too I should add.

A600, KS3.1, IDE to SD adaptor with Sandisk SD Card running ClassicWB 3.1 (though behaves the same off a no startup-sequence boot).

Cheers,

Tom
Old 15 January 2022, 08:01   #2
thomas

The traditional fix for such an issue is to cut the reset line of the IDE cable (pin 1, usually the one marked red).
Old 15 January 2022, 16:03   #3
Boboo_SK
Develop HW

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoma View Post
Hi,

My Furia is working like an absolute dream after a firmware update 6 months ago. Only lingering irritation I have is that after shadowing or mapping my KS3.1 ROM, soft reboots (ie. Ctrl A + A) tend to fail to boot off the HDD and instead go immediately to the KS insert disk screen.
If I hit Ctrl A + A another 5 or 6 times, it'll finally "catch" the HDD and boot fine.
If I'm not using shadow or maprom, it boots off the HDD every time (and - when I first shadow or map the rom, that software initiated reboot always works... it only fails on subsequent boots).

Anyone else experiencing this and/or can suggest a fix?? It's almost like once the ROM is shadowed, it's not giving sufficient time for the disk to become ready... tried turning off ide speedup too I should add.

A600, KS3.1, IDE to SD adaptor with Sandisk SD Card running ClassicWB 3.1 (though behaves the same off a no startup-sequence boot).

Cheers,

Tom

The card is very fast and it is not enough to respond to scsi.device if the SHADOWROM function is switched on.

The solution is to load the newer scsi.device v46.0, After restarting the new scsi.device, the device scans more slowly and the problem does not occur.

The new scsi.device is loaded into the system via LoadModule at the beginning of the startup-sequence before the Furiatune tool.
Old 15 January 2022, 20:35   #4
psoma

Awesome... thanks guys - will give both a try and report back.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 16 January 2022, 09:21   #5
psoma

Confirmed v46.0 of scsi.device (available as SCSI.lzh here: http://wt.exotica.org.uk/test.html) solved the issue. As it also increased my HDD transfer speeds by approx. 1MB/s I stuck with this solution and didn't try the disconnection of pin 1.

Incidentally, to avoid multiple reboots, I used Capitoline to inject the updated scsi.device into the 3.1 kickstart ROM (along with the CF cardres patch). Capitoline can be found here: https://5e7b2c0d467b5.site123.me. Had to remove workbench.library to provide enough room so that's now loading out of libs although I probably could have created a 1MB ROM if it was going to be mapped to the Furia anyway...

Thank for your help guys!