English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 17 February 2022, 14:22   #21
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
RGB-SCART - SCART-HDMI setup to start with.
WTH!?! Nooo!
RGB2HDMI is the way to go. Those SCART to HDMI converters are awful.

RGB2HDMI project is the most impressive thing I have seen since I've returned to Amiga land.
I have never seen an Amiga display this impressive.
Old 17 February 2022, 14:29   #22
bendz

Yes I already have a MiSTer. In fact I originally got a MiSTer to scratch the Amiga itch. And it's very good. But the itch didn't go away. As awesome as the MiSTer is, and I'm very happy with my setup, it's just not the same experience as using original hardware. I realise that probably sounds barmy but here you have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mister.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	74739  
Old 17 February 2022, 14:32   #23
bendz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
WTH!?! Nooo!
RGB2HDMI is the way to go. Those SCART to HDMI converters are awful.

RGB2HDMI project is the most impressive thing I have seen since I've returned to Amiga land.
I have never seen an Amiga display this impressive.
How did you route the HDMI cable out of your Amiga? I think I saw a method using a flat HDMI cable.
Old 17 February 2022, 15:54   #24
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendz View Post
Yes I already have a MiSTer. In fact I originally got a MiSTer to scratch the Amiga itch. And it's very good. But the itch didn't go away. As awesome as the MiSTer is, and I'm very happy with my setup, it's just not the same experience as using original hardware. I realise that probably sounds barmy but here you have it.

Sure, it is not the same experience, but if you have a space and don't mind extra things around, it would be preferable to have real thing over FPGA or Emulaiton/RPi. Since I love to try different things, I end up having either RPi400 (RecalBox) or MiSTer setup all the time and Amiga, C64 and consoles (bellow PS3 / XBox 350) only (rarely) when I feel setting it up. (which is rare thanks to busy life) The same goes with Steam, XBox GP, EPic/GOG games... I can't remember last time I played anything on PC. (Probably it was Days of Tentacles)

Last edited by Anubis; 17 February 2022 at 16:08.
Old 17 February 2022, 15:58   #25
bendz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Sure, it is not the same experience, but if you have a space and don't mind extra things around, it would be preferable to have real thin over FPGA or Emulaiton/RPi. Since I love to try different things, I end up having either RPi400 or MiSTer setup all the time and Amiga, C64 and consoles (bellow PS3 / XBox 350) only (rarely) when I feel setting it up. (which is rare thanks to busy life) The same goes with Steam, XBox GP, EPic/GOG games... I can't remember last time I played anything on PC. (Probably it was Days of Tentacles)
Absolutely, I own many pf the consoles and computers that I play on MiSTer. For just being able to get a few games played quickly it's ideal.
Old 17 February 2022, 16:02   #26
d4rk3lf

Another vote for ACA 500+
Especially if you are beginner.

It's basically plug and play.
You only need 2 CF card, and an usb to cf reader, and you are all set up.

Aca have Workbencch (operating system) in it's rom, and installation is only a matter of inserting CF, and starting install, and Aca will do everything.
You then install Whdload... find some games (on your PC), use usb to cf reader, to transfer games and apps to CF card.. insert CF into Amiga.. and just play.

If you have big enough CF, you will only do once what I mention above, and just play million games.
Old 17 February 2022, 16:07   #27
bendz

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Another vote for ACA 500+
Especially if you are beginner.

It's basically plug and play.
You only need 2 CF card, and an usb to cf reader, and you are all set up.

Aca have Workbencch (operating system) in it's rom, and installation is only a matter of inserting CF, and starting install, and Aca will do everything.
You then install Whdload... find some games (on your PC), use usb to cf reader, to transfer games and apps to CF card.. insert CF into Amiga.. and just play.

If you have big enough CF, you will only do once what I mention above, and just play million games.
The way the Pi shortages are just now this is looking very appealing!!
Old 17 February 2022, 18:52   #28
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
How did you route the HDMI cable out of your Amiga? I think I saw a method using a flat HDMI cable.
Easy peasy

Old 17 February 2022, 20:17   #29
dreadnought

Quote:
As awesome as the MiSTer is, and I'm very happy with my setup, it's just not the same experience as using original hardware. I realise that probably sounds barmy but here you have it.
Nah, it makes total sense...I'm the same, thought briefly about selling my A500 after getting MiSTer but that was a very short lived idea

But, everybody has got their own measure of how much OG HW they need in their life...there was a time I used Amiberry open Pi and was happy too.

I did recommend PiStorm to start with because you said you want HDMI. But normally I would say ACA500+, it really is the Swiss Army knife for A500. So if you're set on RGB2HDMI this could be a good option. It costs a bit but really transforms A500 into a serious Amiga and is a breeze to operate.
Old 18 February 2022, 10:16   #30
bendz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Nah, it makes total sense...I'm the same, thought briefly about selling my A500 after getting MiSTer but that was a very short lived idea

But, everybody has got their own measure of how much OG HW they need in their life...there was a time I used Amiberry open Pi and was happy too.

I did recommend PiStorm to start with because you said you want HDMI. But normally I would say ACA500+, it really is the Swiss Army knife for A500. So if you're set on RGB2HDMI this could be a good option. It costs a bit but really transforms A500 into a serious Amiga and is a breeze to operate.
Completely agree, I wouldn't criticise anyone for how they enjoy their hobby.

The ACA looks amazing but is obviously a bigger financial commitment than the Pi Storm by the time you've bought the card, a couple of CF cards and a CF reader. I have been watching some videos about using EMU68 with which seems interesting so I think initially I'll try that, assuming the RPi availability situation improves. Is the RGB2HDMI mod still recommended with the PiStorm or can I route the video out from the Pi?
Old 18 February 2022, 15:00   #31
bendz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Easy peasy

Ah of course! Nice!
Old 19 March 2022, 03:45   #32
admiral
Engineer

I'd say a serial null-modem cable, a passive Amiga to VGA dongle and an OSSC for a start.

Maybe a good trapdoor expansion (1.5 slow + 512k chip + rtc) and a SpitFire 500 sometime later.
Old 19 March 2022, 19:59   #33
solarmon

If you are still looking to get an RGBtoHDMI solution then please PM me. I'm UK based and can provide them - see my sales thread at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=107314
Old 02 June 2022, 16:26   #34
bendz

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
If you are still looking to get an RGBtoHDMI solution then please PM me. I'm UK based and can provide them - see my sales thread at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=107314
Sorry mate I didn't see this before I had already ordered one.
Old 02 June 2022, 16:34   #35
bendz

So I did indeed get an Amiga 500 for my birthday

It's been quite a month of discovery for me, and a lot of fun. I installed an RGB2HDMI mod and that works great (aside from the occasional "sparkle" effect). PiStorm I had less luck with. I can't get that to work at all, just a black screen. I tried various micro SD builds but no luck. So until I can sort that out, I've been using a Gotek and that's been awesome.

Thanks for all of your tips and suggestions. I'm loving finally having an Amiga.
Old 18 June 2022, 23:02   #36
bendz

So a month after getting my 500, yesterday I picked up an Amiga 1200. And so it begins