English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 12 May 2021, 14:51   #1
Rissy

Dr who type themed music game

Hello all.

I'm wondering if anyone can stretch their memory back to a magazine disk which has a demo of a game on it (at least that's what my memory tells me). I can't say much about the game except that i seem to remember it had some sort of Dr Who type theme music, and that it wouldn't work on an Amiga A500 if you had a memory expansion card connected to it.

I'm curious because i only got to play it once. The reason being that my dad caught me putting the memory card back into our machine, and wasn't pleased i'd pulled it out in the first place. He demanded an explanation to why i was doing such a thing, and when i told him it was to play this game on this disk, he grabbed the disk from my hand and snapped it in two so that there was never any reason or temptation for me to remove the memory expansion again.

I've always wondered for a long time now, what that game was which got me into so much trouble back in the day. I'm sure my dad has no memory of that incident all these years later. But i do.

Name of game would be nice. Identity of the disk it was on, would be amazing too. I'm curious to find it and take a look at it again 30yrs later.
Old 12 May 2021, 14:59   #2
Seiya

maybe was Dalek Attack
Old 12 May 2021, 15:05   #3
DamienD
Banned

Maybe this PD one: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97621
Old 13 May 2021, 12:21   #4
Rissy

Interesting. I didn't know they had a Dr Who game. I don't think that was it. I seem to remember the graphics were basic. Some black screen or something. Although with going back 30yrs, my memory might just not ben good enough. Maybe it was an intro sequence i remembered or maybe just because it might have been a demo, what i saw was limited....?

I'll take a look at both suggestions and get back to you. Thanks!
Old 13 May 2021, 20:06   #5
Jackoland

I suppose we could start with the magazines you used to buy. And about what year?
Old 13 May 2021, 20:38   #6
Rissy

I think personally, I only ever bought a couple of Amiga Format magazines. My dad bought most of them. He'd sometimes buy Amiga Format, Amiga Computing, CU Amiga, Computer Express, Personal Computer World to name the ones i'm aware of. I wouldn't have a clue which magazine this disk was from though. It's been around 30yrs, and because the disk was destroyed so soon after us getting it, i don't have a clear enough memory of it unfortunately. I guess this task would be like the proverbial needle in the haystack!

I seem to remember a dark, maybe black loading screen and some cool Dr Who'esk type music, or something similar. As i say, i'm sure it was either a demo, or a free (therefore probably only small) game, and it wouldn't work on a 1Mb machine, only a 500kb machine.

Sorry i can't be any more specific than that.
Old 14 May 2021, 12:02   #7
DamienD
Banned

Dr Who was released on this magazine coverdisk: https://amr.abime.net/issue_335_coverdisks

Code:
The One Amiga 52 (Jan 1993)

Disk A

Psycho Santa     Amiga
Doctor Who       Amiga     Download
It's a playable demo of Dalek Attack.
Old 14 May 2021, 15:33   #8
Rissy

I seem to remember it being some sort of shooting game where you move forwards as if in 1st person into the middle of the screen, but you had to move around the outskirts of the monitor in order to progress or something. Shooting stuff as you went. I think the game was attempting to be 3D, but without actually being 3D. I can't believe how dreadful my memory is.

I think the biggest clue i can give is the fact it would only work on 500kb. If you had 1Mb, you'd have to remove it in order to play it.