English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 October 2015, 04:18   #21
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelarie View Post
Btw, beware of episode burnout by churning out episodes too fast. Just a tip (for my own good of course, so more content will follow)
Don't worry! Aaron and I are great friends who would see each other once a week anyway, so the podcast doesn't ever feel like "work" (unlike some other podcast projects I've done). We have had to skip weeks in the past, but hopefully we'll be able to have a backlog of interviews to put up in case we have to skip a week.

Speaking of which, we'd love to get some UK perspective on the Amiga! If you'd like to be interviewed for the podcast, please drop me a line at amigos@amigospodcast.com.
Old 14 October 2015, 01:09   #22
onkelarie

Great, that's good to read

I've now listened to three episodes thusfar, thumbs up on the Hybris episode. It's my all time favorite game by miles.... Did you know you can press the spacebar when you're in the main menu so you can change gameplay parameters? Same goes for Battle squadron btw.

Your podcast will certainly stay in my list of 'must listen' channels. Lovin' it to bits!
Old 15 October 2015, 22:49   #23
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Glad to hear it--and thanks for the Hybris tip!
Old 18 October 2015, 22:32   #24
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Episode 12 - Kick Off 2 is here!

Listen and subscribe here!
http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...ick-off-2.html

Watch us play it here!
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 October 2015, 01:57   #25
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

This week, the Amigos kick of a Spooktacular series of Amiga games for Halloween! Listen here: http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...ght-night.html

Watch us play here! [ Show youtube player ]

Also, check out our interview with Paul Shaw, who discusses the Amiga scene in Australia!
http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...paul-shaw.html
Old 30 October 2015, 00:51   #26
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

This week we wrap up our Halloween Spooktacular with all three Amiga Elvira games!

Listen and subscribe here! http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...ira-games.html

Watch us play here! [ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 October 2015, 01:15   #27
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks for the mention on the Kick Off 2 episode. I'd never considered my username's gangster connotations before now! That cracked me up. It was a case of liking the way a word rolled off the tongue and then trying to make it unique so it could be registered without adding any random characters. Ironic really - I'm an accounts nerd, my pimp-mobile of choice is a mountain bike and I worship at the altar of a computer that kicked the bucket almost twenty years ago.

You brought up the limitations of the Amiga's sound capabilities in the Elvira play-through video, and in particular the tendency for many games to output music or sound effects, yet not both simultaneously.

I've never read a definitive explanation for this, but have a theory of my own. The Amiga's sound architecture was restricted to four channels of audio, and while any of these channels could be allocated to producing music, sound effects or a mixture of the two, they were generally dedicated to one or the other. I gather this was because distributing the channels between the two functions would result in a diluted experience in each case, and musicians weren't prepared to show the machine in a bad light.

Later on in the Amiga's life cycle Chris Huelsbeck et al somehow deciphered how to unlock the secret to using more than four channels of audio and it became more common to combine sound effects and music without compromising on quality, and subsequently the FX/music toggle switch became a distant memory.

Last edited by dreamkatcha; 31 October 2015 at 01:23.
Old 02 November 2015, 00:09   #28
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Thanks for the info, dreamkatcha! Very interesting.
Old 02 November 2015, 04:58   #29
snoopy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post

Also, check out our interview with Paul Shaw, who discusses the Amiga scene in Australia!
http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...paul-shaw.html
Cheers John,

Was a lot of fun, reminiscing about the 90's on the show.
Old 06 November 2015, 04:31   #30
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Anytime, Paul!

The Amigos are back this week with Deluxe Galaga!

Listen and subscribe here! http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...xe-galaga.html

Watch us play it here! [ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 November 2015, 01:59   #31
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Hit the road with The Amigos this week as we review the classic Lotus Turbo Challenge 2!

Listen and subscribe here! http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...allenge-2.html

Watch us play it here! [ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 November 2015, 09:05   #32
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I had no idea there was such a raging debate concerning the correct pronunciation of Galaga until now. The way I've always squared it away in my head is that the Aussies pronounce it Gal-AAAAAH-ga in honour of Alf Stewart's catchphrase, "you great galAAAAAH" (as in the rose-breasted cockatoo), and the rest of the world pronounces it correctly. I have this printed on a handy, wallet-sized reference card, which I carry with me at all times. It works for me.
Old 20 November 2015, 02:25   #33
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

This week Sven from Cinemaware joins us from Germany to discuss Turrican 2: The Final Fight! Spoiler: It's not the final fight.

Listen and subscribe here! http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...pecial_19.html
Old 20 November 2015, 03:53   #34
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I had no idea there was such a raging debate concerning the correct pronunciation of Galaga until now. The way I've always squared it away in my head is that the Aussies pronounce it Gal-AAAAAH-ga in honour of Alf Stewart's catchphrase, "you great galAAAAAH" (as in the rose-breasted cockatoo), and the rest of the world pronounces it correctly. I have this printed on a handy, wallet-sized reference card, which I carry with me at all times. It works for me.
We discuss this on the show, and Sven is with us! GAL-a-ga forever!
Old 27 November 2015, 17:07   #35
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

If you're into Cinemaware, this is the episode for you! We interview Sven Vössing and dive deep into Cinemaware's history and current and future projects.

http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...sven-from.html
Old 28 November 2015, 13:07   #36
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Only just spotted this. An Amiga games podcast has been a long time coming! Subscribed
Old 29 November 2015, 20:08   #37
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Thanks! You're just in time for our livestream of Turrican 2!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 December 2015, 00:03   #38
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Saxons and Normans and West Virginians--The Amigos play Defender of the Crown! Listen and subscribe here! http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...-of-crown.html

Watch us play it here!
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 December 2015, 05:31   #39
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

This week we review Dragon's Lair and talk about the Kick Off 2 World Cup!

http://amigospodcast.blogspot.com/20...gons-lair.html
Old 12 December 2015, 22:41   #40
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Well researched and entertaining as always, thanks.

From what I gather, Cloanto have been granted permission from the copyright holders to include all the games they bundle with their Amiga Forever package. They use the cracked versions purely for practical reasons; the originals are copyright protected and hence can't be deciphered by the emulator. Rather than attempting to remove it officially this late in the day when the skills required to do so may be difficult to source, they pick the low hanging fruit and make use of what's already readily available.

The value edition of Amiga Forever will run most games designed to work with Workbench 1.3, but spits the dummy if you throw anything more obscure at it. Dragon's Lair is a bit more exotic in its execution than most games in that it loads 256kB of data into the writable control store area of RAM originally intended to incorporate the Kickstart ROM in early Amiga hardware. It's the old 'gateway drug' model of marketing; give people a sample for minimal outlay and if they like the taste they'll come back for a bigger, more expensive slice of the pie. Mmmm, drug pie. *drool* :|