English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 23 July 2010, 17:24   #281
vexation

Quote:
Originally Posted by antom View Post
No need to beg excessively - Just re-uploaded to The Zone! now for you
Wow, it worked perfectly on Arculator with RISCOS 2. Fantastic!... and what a nostalgic kick!
Old 23 July 2010, 21:50   #282
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
All the A3020s at my school looked a bit like that when I left in 2003. Shame, but that's what happens when you let kids near computers.
Yeah fair point there it was just the a3000's we had but they all still looked good when i left, there is also a seller on ebay with 5 a3020's in good condition at min
Old 25 July 2010, 22:14   #283
asm1

tis a bit Sad

but they "usually" clean up ok. Not sure what else is wrong with that one though. If its been in a school (and most A3000/3020's have) its probably had a hard life.
Old 25 July 2010, 22:19   #284
prowler
Global Moderator

A leaking battery can still be a big problem with those, even if they look like new on the outside!
Old 28 October 2010, 12:06   #285
MarkYoungIW

Dont know if Kyon is still around, but if he is..........I am bidding on Sensible Soccer and will be imaging it to apd!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sensible-Socce...item4aa5a292c0
Old 28 October 2010, 12:17   #286
filth

For what it's worth, Sensible Soccer can already be found in the Acorn Antiques release "Games 1". Look on their page: http://.org/user/antiques

Source: http://www.tinyurl.com/acorn-antiques-spreadsheet (click on the "Games" link and scroll down)
Old 28 October 2010, 22:52   #287
Tom Walker

It's also been on the Qube FTP for a while now.
Old 28 October 2010, 23:05   #288
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
I joined the Qube risc os board a short while ago seems a good recourse all though i do still look out for floppy disks and demos

i will also have some acorn hardware avail soon (for the a3000)
Old 29 October 2010, 10:06   #289
MarkYoungIW

Oops, looks like I've fell a little behind!! Will try and catch up!!
Old 29 October 2010, 10:15   #290
MarkYoungIW

Cant see James Pond 2 Robocod in the database, I am bidding on that too, so will image it as soon as I get it if needed.
Old 29 October 2010, 11:27   #291
Tom Walker

I've got Robocod, but the images I took don't work (the real disc does). I would re-image it, but my A1200's internal drive has been destroyed by Grevious Bodily 'ARM and my external drive is flaky so I won't be able to image anything until I get a replacement.
Old 01 November 2010, 09:33   #292
MarkYoungIW

Well, I have a Kryoflux board on the way, so once I've set it up neatly in an old external drive casing I have, I will get sampling. Hopefully can pass it around a bit for others to do the same.

Will make imaging Arc discs so much easier. No need for the amiga now!!

Looking at the documentation, you can use it so one read (which takes around 4 mins?) Could produce not only the necessary data to send off to SPS, but also raw streams to make apd's out of? Am I correct with this?

Last edited by MarkYoungIW; 01 November 2010 at 09:56.
Old 01 November 2010, 22:14   #293
fiath

Yes, that is exactly right. You can output to stream files, and simultaneously produce sector images. Though the raw streams are more useful to us that the "CT" images.

Alternatively, you can produce stream files, and produce sector images from the stream files later. It's always good to set a platform though (a sector image type, even if you don't select to output it) so you get good error checking while dumping, and so the KryoFlux software will know when to retry a track.
Old 06 November 2010, 12:00   #294
MarkYoungIW

OK, well I am a little out of my depth here, but at the moment Tom tool to produce apd's uses RawRead to dump the disc.

Will Kryoflux produce a 'Rawread' file? If so I am guessing this is different to a stream file?

Still awaiting my board to play with, but keen to get it set up and make dumps for both apd and ipf.

The excitement is building, but not much spare time to play at the moment!!
Old 07 November 2010, 22:11   #295
fiath

Yeah, rawread is a little different to a stream file. Stream files are basically a level lower (the lowest level you can get from a drive interface). You can produce a rawread-like file from a stream file, by interpreting it using a particular encoding (e.g. MFM). We don't support those sorts of file-types yet though, we currently only support going one level "higher", that being sector formats.

I hope that make sense. You can convert a stream file to rawread-like file, and that to a sector format file, loosing information each time.
Old 19 March 2011, 15:58   #296
bcass

Quote:
Originally Posted by antom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexation View Post
Antom did put a copy of Ballarena up on The Zone! a long time ago.. maybe if we beg a bunch he can put another copy up?
No need to beg excessively - Just re-uploaded to The Zone! now for you
I know it's been a while since this post, but the file seems to have been deleted from The Zone. Is there any chance anyone could re-upload it? Any of the other Eterna games (especially TacTic) would also be very much appreciated!
Old 20 March 2011, 15:26   #297
vexation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcass View Post
I know it's been a while since this post, but the file seems to have been deleted from The Zone. Is there any chance anyone could re-upload it? Any of the other Eterna games (especially TacTic) would also be very much appreciated!
Re-upped Ballarena and Legend Of The Lost Temple by Eterna. You'll have to guess the color code protection for Legend Of The Lost Temple as no-one has a scan of the original.

IIRC had to use RISC OS 2 to get either of them to work.
Old 20 March 2011, 15:58   #298
bcass

Brilliant, cheers. Interesting that Ballarena is just a plain ADF. I remember the original being protected, with most of the files not visible in ADFS. Just need TacTic now. I know you can play the MAME version in Arculator, but the arcade version isn't as good as the Archie version. The arcade version doesn't save the scores and has no password system.

I've uploaded a hacked version of disc 1 of Lost Temple with the colour code protection removed. If someone could put the original loading screen back into it (to replace the defiled hacked loading screen) that would be great.

*edit* Looks like this version of Ballarena doesn't save scores either, or is there a problem with Arculator not letting games write back to disk? Had a similar problem with the Play It Again Sam version of Zelanites - the scores wouldn't save (whereas they definitely did save on the original release on a real Arc).

Last edited by bcass; 20 March 2011 at 18:27.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:15   #299
MarkYoungIW

We could do with having a recap of whats available and where. Also making sure that the various copy protections get preserved rather than removed using the likes of Tom's APD or SPS's IPF's.

I have sent Tom my Kryoflux so hopefully he can use that for imaging (and in turn help us use it for imaging Archie stuff).

I know SPS are very busy, but we could do with knowing what they have good dumps for so we can source out the missing ones.

Last on the horizon we could really do with some sort of loader to load the .APD's/IPF's on the original hardware and also within emulators. Sort of like the Archie equivelent of WHDLoader. This would be above my coding experience, but if anyone knows someone we can rope in, this would be great.

It is fair to say the Amiga scene is inspirational with the way they have preserved the software both for emulation and the original hardware, and we have made a start with the Acorn stuff, but have a long way to go, and at the moment, as far as I can see, only Tom working on anything.

I was looking at a torrent on TPB that has been there for a while now, and it has had loads of downloads, so there is definately interest!!
Old 23 March 2011, 22:48   #300
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

HxC can load IPFs and emulate them to the real hardware.

And yes, we're very busy atm, it's not we're not interested. But people would like to use KryoFlux for writing as well, which is why it's getting so much attention at the moment. But there's bright light at the end of the tunnel and it's getting bigger and bigger.

Mark (sorry if I forgot), did you already do some dumps and send them over?