English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 June 2021, 17:26   #1
YouKnowWho
Banned

Which TANK Mouse is better?

Which tank mouse do you guys think is better in terms of quality, reliability and design?

The original A1000 internals or the A500/A2000 version?

I want to keep it original, no laser upgrades for now.
Old 15 June 2021, 17:38   #2
Gorf

Both are rubbish - the best original is the A3000 "pregnant mouse".
Old 15 June 2021, 19:21   #3
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
Which tank mouse do you guys think is better in terms of quality, reliability and design?

The original A1000 internals or the A500/A2000 version?
There are far more versions. For the A2000/A500, I am aware of at least two versions. One with a door opened by linear slide, and one where you have to rotate the door to get access to the ball. The first version had membrane keys that died quickly (I had my mouse replaced about 10 times because the keys died away), and the later edition had more durable micro switches. The second edition with micro switches was more durable, but, frankly, neither of these were great. Iconic, probably.
Old 17 June 2021, 03:55   #4
Warty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
Both are rubbish - the best original is the A3000 "pregnant mouse".
Uh, really? I'm super surprised by that. The pregnant mouse is very light, and feels pretty small to me. I much prefer my tank mice.

Thinking about making a 3D printed cover for a tank mouse, with a slot for a wheel though. Need to find a good donor mouse.
Old 17 June 2021, 04:15   #5
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warty View Post
Uh, really? I'm super surprised by that. The pregnant mouse is very light, and feels pretty small to me. I much prefer my tank mice.

Thinking about making a 3D printed cover for a tank mouse, with a slot for a wheel though. Need to find a good donor mouse.
Light? Like all ball-mice there is more then enough weight to it … for my taste - but if someone needs more one could probably glue some coin on the inside …

I absolutely can not stand the buttons of the tank mouse - even the micro-switch ones are terrible. Every single click is annoying…. and double clicks are even worse.

And the shape of the tank mouse … well it’s simply not ergonomic at all - it probably wasn’t even intended to be.
Old 17 June 2021, 16:19   #6
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
There are far more versions. For the A2000/A500, I am aware of at least two versions. One with a door opened by linear slide, and one where you have to rotate the door to get access to the ball. The first version had membrane keys that died quickly (I had my mouse replaced about 10 times because the keys died away), and the later edition had more durable micro switches. The second edition with micro switches was more durable, but, frankly, neither of these were great. Iconic, probably.
Thank you Thomas. I want to keep the retro experience genuine, and am out there looking for the best of these for that reason. I know it's not the best mouse by any means, but it is iconic in shape and we've spent a lot of time with that mouse, didn't we?

So of the A2000/A500 you recommend the rotating one? Are we just talking micro switches? Those can be replaced with better in worse case, right?
Old 17 June 2021, 16:44   #7
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
So of the A2000/A500 you recommend the rotating one? Are we just talking micro switches? Those can be replaced with better in worse case, right?
That is the best one I know. Yes, it includes micro switches, and those work fine. Avoid the earlier revisions with the membrane-type switches, they wear out *very* quickly. I went through a mouse within two month or so.
Old 18 June 2021, 00:04   #8
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

I soldered in new expensive-ish micro switches in my old wounded mice.
Panasonic... regular 6x6 tact switches are way too clacky. The Panasonics are a bit taller and with different legs but it's not a showstopper. The big rectangular switches sometimes seen in modern nice might be a tough fit however.
Round
Tank

I have some five Amiga mice as back in the day I went and bought new ones when they stopped working, not knowing how to open up (the round C= ones) to clean the optos, or how to do button repair. They're all functional now, in pointless abundance, a few decades late...

I actually use my Naksha (branded) Atari/Amiga mouse the most as it somehow handles nicely and never broke. Not sure if there's actually any DPI difference between it and the old tank mouse.

Last edited by Arne; 18 June 2021 at 00:16.