English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 November 2015, 21:56   #41
jman

OK guys, the third tome is finally out.

I'm particularly happy about this one because I've established a new workflow that allows me to have better quality *and* smaller size.

Check out the Amiga Developer Conference 1991 (held in Denver):
http://www.storiepvtride.it/scan/Ami...enver_1991.pdf

I've sent notice to Bombjack for publishing on his fantastic website
Old 08 November 2015, 22:20   #42
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
I uploaded the Amiga Developer Support Europe Sweden 1991 at bombjacks site.
Good job Jonathan! I'm so happy seeing that this kind of (boring) job is shared by someone else too! Thank you so much for helping in preserving these books.
One note (if I may): your scan does not have bookmark entries. I usually do that in order to give a full overview about the book. I don't have clear whether in your case this would applicable (I don't understand much of Swedish language).

Quote:
BTW Jman - I noticed bombjack gave you the creds for scanning this - enjoy
Yeah, I've noticed :-)) I wrote about that to Bombjack, maybe this will be fixed as his time allows.

Quote:
Also, jman, check out the superb free software program scan tailor, It made magic with cleaning up the scans.
I've checked your scans and I'm happy to see that you compressed the singles images in TIFF using JBIG2 codec. Recently I've experimented a bit and that is the best result I could obtain (see my last scan).

I want to re-scan my previous two books in order to apply my new workflow: that'll increase quality and decrease size.

Thank you also for suggesting that software you mentioned, it might reduce the huge amount of time it currently takes to me!
My current workflow basically is:
- scan with Ubuntu "Simple Scan" application and save each page in PNG lossless
- a batch script use Imagemagick to convert all pages to black+white (2 color), resave in TIFF with codec CCITT
- Open each image with GIMP, clean as much as possible
- Drag and drop all images into Adobe Acrobat that does a lot of magic (image fitting, OCR, ...), PDF is created. Resave PDF optimizing TIFF with JBIG2 codec.
- Create detailed bookmark entries (again with Adobe Acrobat)

cheers
Old 14 November 2015, 17:34   #43
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman View Post
OK guys, the third tome is finally out.

I'm particularly happy about this one because I've established a new workflow that allows me to have better quality *and* smaller size.

Check out the Amiga Developer Conference 1991 (held in Denver):
http://www.storiepvtride.it/scan/Ami...enver_1991.pdf

I've sent notice to Bombjack for publishing on his fantastic website
Excellent jman. I compared it to my "Amiga Developer Conference Denver/Milano 1991" and they are exactly the same besides 6 parts that were new. So, Instead of me rescanning the whole thing, I'm just going to scan the things that differ, and borrow your scans for the rest to that pdf (if ok of course - no need in doing double work). So, Denver/Milano 1991 is coming when I do get the time.

Last edited by ascp; 14 November 2015 at 17:40.
Old 14 November 2015, 17:39   #44
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
One note (if I may): your scan does not have bookmark entries. I usually do that in order to give a full overview about the book. I don't have clear whether in your case this would applicable (I don't understand much of Swedish language).
I want to re-scan my previous two books in order to apply my new workflow: that'll increase quality and decrease size.
cheers
Oh, I'll fix bookmarks at some point, I forgot that.

I think the books you scanned are good enough for preservation, maybe it's better to focus on something that is not scanned yet. There some amiga books from BSB that is not scanned yet for example.. wink wink.
Old 14 November 2015, 23:01   #45
jman

Quote:
Instead of me rescanning the whole thing, I'm just going to scan the things that differ, and borrow your scans for the rest to that pdf (if ok of course - no need in doing double work).
Great! Please borrow all the pages you need from my PDF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
I think the books you scanned are good enough for preservation, maybe it's better to focus on something that is not scanned yet. There some amiga books from BSB that is not scanned yet for example.. wink wink.
yeah yeah I know there's a lot to do out there ;-) these tomes I've scanned were kindly donated to me but I don't have anything else in my queue.
I could help more with book scanning (as my spare time allows) but I don't have time to search for books not yet scanned. If anyone wants to send them to me, I'll pay for the shipping and I'll do the job.

By the way, binded books are a bit more complicated to scan because basically you have to tear the book apart and scan every single page. I wouldn't do it with my own collection of Amiga programming books :-o so you also have to find a victim to sacrifice for the greater good.
Old 21 November 2015, 11:10   #46
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Great! Please borrow all the pages you need from my PDF!

By the way, binded books are a bit more complicated to scan because basically you have to tear the book apart and scan every single page. I wouldn't do it with my own collection of Amiga programming books :-o so you also have to find a victim to sacrifice for the greater good.
Thanks - It did save some time.
The Denver/Milano 1991 tome has just been sent to Bombjack so it should be up soon under Amiga Manuals. There were about four or five additional chapters compared to Denver 91, and some reordered chapters.

I still have two unscanned conf. notes left, whenever I get the time

Yes, I actually bought an extra copy of one amiga book just to scan it. The sad thing is most of the better ones are really expensive and hard to come by, like Total Amiga Dos, Mastering Amiga Programming Secrets and Amiga 3D Real Time Graphics.
Old 07 June 2017, 18:32   #47
Hombre40

For the record, the files on bombjack.org can't be accessed anymore. Does anyone have a copy of the Devcon documents and can pass them along?
Old 07 June 2017, 21:42   #48
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre40 View Post
For the record, the files on bombjack.org can't be accessed anymore. Does anyone have a copy of the Devcon documents and can pass them along?
Hi AFAICS the books are still there:
http://www.bombjack.org/amiga/amiga-commodore

although I may be wrong because some time has passed. If you clearly see that one of my scanned books is missing, I have them all and surely can provide them anytime.

cheers

Last edited by RCK; 29 December 2021 at 11:33.
Old 29 October 2017, 08:17   #49
kamelito
Zone Friend

I found that one while googling, don't think it is available at bombjack.

http://www.retro-commodore.eu/downlo...an_1989%29.pdf

Kamelito
Old 11 November 2019, 22:39   #50
kamelito
Zone Friend

Here is the 88
http://www.retro-commodore.eu/downlo...Washington.pdf
Old 04 May 2020, 13:50   #51
kamelito
Zone Friend

Here are the Audio files of 1988 Devcon!
https://archive.org/details/1988-04-30_Amiga_DevCon
Old 23 July 2020, 03:26   #52
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Here are the Audio files of 1988 Devcon!
https://archive.org/details/1988-04-30_Amiga_DevCon
That was so cool to listen to. I've been through many of them by now - are there any more from other conferences?

Is there a collected works of DevCon stuff you can download somewhere? (Many dead links in this thread...)

Some of the talks were slightly disheartening - at least assuming these are Commercial level devs that paid well for their status - as the docs were just as good.
Oh, and I can feel how I'm trying to reach back in time to instill a bigger urgency of advancement as it feels things are just moving so slowly when you listen to it all :-)
Old 05 June 2021, 15:46   #53
Hombre40

All the files linked in this thread seem to have disappeared... did anyone save them and could post them to the zone?
Old 09 June 2021, 00:22   #54
jman

@Hombre40 bombjack.org has added subdomains but didn't include redirects for the old links to point to the new location, so I guess a lot of stuff linked in this forum during the years will return a broken link. Now the Amiga manuals are under:

https://commodore.bombjack.org/amiga/
https://commodore.bombjack.org/amiga/amiga-commodore/

I've re-uploaded anyway my scans on the Zone:
- Amiga_Developer_Conference_1993.pdf
- Amiga_Developer_Conference_Denver_1991.pdf
- Amiga_Developer_Conference_1990.pdf
- Amiga_Developer_Conference_1990-TOC.pdf (fixed "Table of Contents")

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Amiga_Developer_Conference_1990-TOC.pdf (170.4 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by jman; 12 June 2021 at 13:32. Reason: add a fix
Old 09 June 2021, 01:38   #55
Pyromania

@jman

Thanx a bunch.
Old 09 June 2021, 22:26   #56
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
- Amiga_Developer_Conference_1990.pdf

Enjoy!
Hi.

I think one of the contents page is missing as it only goes up to section 18
The CDTV Development Environment but there seems to be more sections after that??

Thanks for the upload.
Old 12 June 2021, 13:45   #57
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Hi.
I think one of the contents page is missing as it only goes up to section 18
The CDTV Development Environment but there seems to be more sections after that??
Well spot @redblade! Yes there is a mistake in the scans I did years ago (I apologize and I feel bad about this).

The table of contents has a duplicated page (the page about copyrights) instead of the second index page for the contents (which convers sections 19 to 37). The tome I have on paper was missing the page covering sections 38 to 40 (as I noted in the last page of the PDF, some pages from the tome were missing).

I have attached the fixed table of contents to my previous message and also uploaded to the Zone.

If I have time I will rebuild the whole PDF with the correct table of contents (I have all the files anyway).

Again apologies and thanks for spotting the error.