English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 23 August 2020, 18:07   #1
kipper2k

Gotek OSD mod for a500s and a1200 (files included)

Hi All,

I am releasing my little addon boards for people to use if they want to take advantage of the OSD mod for Flash floppy, this should hopefully help those people who don't have a lot of soldering experience.. This will allow you to display on your monitor the currently selected file loaded by the gotek.

I asked Keir Fraser if he could make a couple of changes to the core to allow some new features to which he did, (Awesome, Thanks Keir). The modified files are in the thread.

You can read about the changes here rather than me retype everything.
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/355

I like the fact it can display up to 40 characters and hide the extension. I have it set to display on the screen for 4 seconds, no need to stay on the screen any longer than that as any time there is disk access it will display again

here is a picture of my a500+ setup with my gotek/bluepill and OSD. There is no OLed/LCD connected as the OSD does not need it.

The image shows the little adapter board laid out over the mobo to allow a nice clean look, there is a 2 pin cable that connects to the adapter and bluepill.

Here are some pictures of the different versions

Rev5 A500

Rev6a A500

Rev 8 A500+

A1200

(the a1200 board has a little extra portion i added to make a HW reset board for the A600 for use with the A600 romulator

files are drawn with Eagle, people can alter as they wish.

*** Specify 0.8mm width PCBs when getting them made ***

here are the board/sch files.

The Gotek file selection is controlled by the new A500 KB controller. The controller is USB capable and if i have a bit of time i will hook up a Pi4 inside a case with it and try some Pimiga etc

Last edited by kipper2k; 23 August 2020 at 18:20.
Old 25 August 2020, 14:44   #2
Heywood

Hey - this does seem cool but I'm a little confused - without your new A500 KB (nice LED colours BTW) Controller, are you limited to the standard buttons/rotary encoder of a standard gotek?

It seems like this board is piece is a small part of the whole and while cool kind of relies on your gotek variant with the capacity to install host a bluepill without being messy and the A500 KB adapter.

This isn't a problem or complaint - just trying to understand how it all fits together (and if the other bits are available)

Can you use your gotek with a real floppy in the A500 at the same time?
Old 25 August 2020, 15:49   #3
solarmon

These breakout boards are great!

They are for the RBG and Sync signals, so how easy/feasible would it be to extend for the keyboard signals (KB_DATA and KB_CLOCK) too?