English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 October 2012, 20:57   #1
Zosite

"Remove interlace artifacts" flickering in latest versions

See, this issue looks rather unimportant yet it's still annoying and I'm documenting it just in case it can be of any help on spotting further problems coming from the same reason, if any.

I noticed it when playing the game "Agony". The problem is that the bottom of the screen flickers during all the intro when "Remove interlace artifacts" is checked whereas if you leave it unchecked you'll get the classic interlacy lines.

It started happening exactly in the transition between WinUAE 2.4.1 beta 2 and beta 3 and it still happens with WinUAE 2.5.0 beta 20.

And this is my display configuration:

I've tested several configurations, not only for displaying but also hardware ones to no avail. It's clearly "remove interlace artifacts" checked what it's causing this problem.

Now my question is: is this normal and/or expected behaviour? Because if it is I've no problem with it for I think that a few glitches are better than any inaccuracy on emulation. And if it's not, well... there you have my report which I hope you'll find useful.

Thanks in advance for your attention.
Old 11 October 2012, 16:25   #2
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

I said the same thing for stunt car racer, that was flicking badly when on track..

Toni said " Most likely it is game issue with too fast CPU option, last few official versions have increased CPU speed when chipset was in use. Probably also nothing to do with this beta series . "
Old 11 October 2012, 16:33   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I'd say this isn't CPU speed difference but OP didn't say if it is A500 config or some faster (using whdload) configuration.

Attach your config file and include also screenshot.
Old 11 October 2012, 19:34   #4
Zosite

No fancy WHDLOAD but basic default A500 configuration was used.

I've attached the UAE config file and also a few screenshots taken from Agony intro, though I'm not sure if they'll be useful since it's quite difficult to notice this flickering behaviour only happening at the very bottom of the screen; if you look carefully you'll see an extra black line on two of them.

I've used both WinUAE 2.4.1 and 2.5.0 beta 20 to test and it was the same with both versions. Then again, this started happening exactly on 2.4.1 beta 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Agony_Disk1_001.png
Views:	257
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	32862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Agony_Disk1_002.png
Views:	241
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	32863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Agony_Disk1_003.png
Views:	250
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	32864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Agony_Disk1_004.png
Views:	274
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	32865  
Attached Files
File Type: uae Agony2.uae (8.5 KB, 143 views)
Old 12 October 2012, 10:55   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Me (and probably everyone else) read "Bottom of screen" as 1/5th of bottom part of screen flickering or something similar, not single flickering line

Last line wasn't visible in older versions (which was a bug), now it is visible but any interlaced screen with odd number of lines will have flickering last line due to way artifact removal works.

I am not yet sure how to fix this without other side effects..
Old 12 October 2012, 11:25   #6
Zosite

Understood. And if it is how it's meant to be and not being part of some further trouble this is what I say:

LET IT BE.

As you said, if it's not coming from some hidden and nasty bug (heh... it seems it was actually a bug what prevented it from showing before) a single flickering line means nothing; definitely NOT worth the effort nor the risk of potential side effects.

Thanks a lot for your help and attention!