English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 19 April 2007, 05:01   #1
falconsfan

One on One: Dr.J vs. Larry Bird

http://hol.abime.net/2302

I've looked and looked for the .adf image of this game... its not even listed on TOSEC but I know it exists, cuz I have it, only its damaged now. If anyone has this game from Electronic Arts, A500 OCS and would be willing to post it somewhere I would be greatful

TIA!
Old 19 April 2007, 07:25   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

here http://planetemu.net/index.php?secti...owrom&id=19098
but game crashed after loading and decrunching, I tried various configurations
Old 19 April 2007, 08:04   #3
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
It has a WHDLoad install http://www.whdload.de/games/OneOnOne.html, have you tried that?

If someone has the original disk, please image it 'cause this game was soooo fun on C-64!
Old 20 April 2007, 00:27   #4
falconsfan

s2325: I actually found that comp too, and like you tried all the different configs as I could and I couldn't get it working either.

Bamiga2002: Yes I've tried the HD version as well, unfortunatly I couldn't seem to get it working either. There has got to be a .adf version floating around somewhere... I'll just wait and see if any of these Amiga guru's here can find it or make one.

Thank you both for your replys though...
Old 20 April 2007, 01:05   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

DrBong provided the original Disk image for the WHDLoad install. Maybe he post it here, when you ask him kindly.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 20 April 2007 at 01:12.
Old 22 April 2007, 06:01   #6
AmigaBoy

This game works fine in WinUAE using the "Archon & One on One & Archon II (19xx)(PHR-Crew).zip" image.

In Quickstart, set your Model to A500. Set your configuration to 1.2 ROM, OCS Agnus, 512KB Chip RAM + 512KB Slow RAM

Other configs may work too. They key to running this is Kickstart 1.2, I believe. 1.3 won't work. I'm sure 1.1 will probably work too. Old EA games tend to require kickstart 1.2.

Hope that helps
Old 22 April 2007, 22:52   #7
falconsfan

Nice!!! Those settings DO work! Thanks alot Jason for the heads up about the EA games.
Old 24 April 2007, 19:24   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
DrBong provided the original Disk image for the WHDLoad install. Maybe he post it here, when you ask him kindly.
The trouble is that a working ADF of the original disk isn't possible because of nasty copy protection on track 1. I remember when JOTD was working on the WHDLoad version, I had to email him back and forth a few times sending him dumps to debug his disk imager before it worked properly. Fortunately he'd already patched a few early EA games by that stage with the same copy protection, so it didn't take him long to get the disk imager working with the help of the dumps. If it wasn't for his genius, I probably would have had to send him my original disk for the WHDLoad version to see the light of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
This game works fine in WinUAE using the "Archon & One on One & Archon II (19xx)(PHR-Crew).zip" image.

In Quickstart, set your Model to A500. Set your configuration to 1.2 ROM, OCS Agnus, 512KB Chip RAM + 512KB Slow RAM

Other configs may work too. They key to running this is Kickstart 1.2, I believe. 1.3 won't work. I'm sure 1.1 will probably work too. Old EA games tend to require kickstart 1.2.
Quite right. For those who are a bit slack, a working config can be downloaded from this old post too:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=23121&postcount=19
Old 02 May 2007, 09:46   #9
falconsfan

DrBong

I guess my next question probably doesn't make any sense, but is there a way to pull the data from the WHDLoad version to create a working .adf ??? just a thought, I don't mind using the Archon & One on One & Archon II (19xx)(PHR-Crew) disk, however, I DO actually own the REAL version, but it says it corrupt from I guess moisture in storage, so it would be nice if I could get a working copy without all the extra stuff like Archon 1 & 2. Its amazing though that this was one of the first games out, and it had that good of copy protection on it. Please let me know what you think about my question above. Thanks
Old 06 May 2007, 14:40   #10
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconsfan
I guess my next question probably doesn't make any sense, but is there a way to pull the data from the WHDLoad version to create a working .adf ???
That's possible with disk images for some WHDLoad games (read: with little or no protection), but One on One isn't one of them. However, I have managed to create an ADF of the WHDLoad version, which works fine here on real Amigas with relatively low specs (i.e. 68010+, KS 2.0+, 2-3 Mb ram or more). Should work fine under emulation too in theory. I've put in the Zone......give it a whirl and let me know how you get on.

Last edited by DrBong; 06 May 2007 at 18:27.
Old 06 May 2007, 14:46   #11
DamienD
Banned

Awesome, thank you kindly DrBong
Old 07 May 2007, 00:54   #12
falconsfan

[edited]
Well, Dr.bong I gave it a shot in both emu and actual hardware and I get the same error. "allocmemreverse failed returncode 20"
I currently have amiga 1000 with 512kb ram using KS1.2 I hope that helps, and I seriously appreciate all your help with this.

Well I've actually tried that image with emulation and KS2.04 with 2mb Ram and WBLoad errors out talking about the compression used.

I think I might just give up on this game... I KNOW that it is crackable though, because the copy I had as a kid was not the real disk and it played just fine, so I KNOW that somewhere there has got to be a version that works... hmmm I just can't believe that this one game is this difficult to work with when there are over 300+ other Electronic Arts games available. *Sigh* I wish I would've gotten more involved when I was younger with all this so I could understand it better...

Last edited by falconsfan; 07 May 2007 at 01:30.
Old 07 May 2007, 17:21   #13
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Well, Dr.bong I gave it a shot in both emu and actual hardware and I get the same error. "allocmemreverse failed returncode 20" I currently have amiga 1000 with 512kb ram using KS1.2
Because it's an ADF of the WHDLoad version it will not work on anything below the min. specs of WHDLoad, which makes your A1000 set-up a non-starter:

http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

To make the ADF I had to compress the One on One disk image to fit it on a single disk along with the WHDLoad stuff. Subsequently, it needs more resources than WHDLoad alone to unpack and cache the disk image among other things (i.e. 68010+, KS 2.0+ and perhaps 3-4Mb ram or more).

I've just upped a revised version to the Zone. "Allocmemreverse" has been removed as it isn't essential. Give it another shot and let me know how you go.

Quote:
I think I might just give up on this game... I KNOW that it is crackable though, because the copy I had as a kid was not the real disk and it played just fine, so I KNOW that somewhere there has got to be a version that works... hmmm I just can't believe that this one game is this difficult to work with when there are over 300+ other Electronic Arts games available.
You give up too easily You have to understand a few things too. Not all EA games used the same copy protection. Early ones like One on One, Seven Cities of Gold, Skyfox 1 & 2, Arctic Fox etc. shared the same copy protection, which seemed to be hard-wired to KS 1.1/1.2. These games won't even work on a standard A500 with KS 1.3. The other thing you need to remember is that One on One was released in late 1985 when the A1000 had only been available for a few months in the USA and nowhere else yet. The A1000 was quite expensive at the time and there probably weren't too many crackers to speak of in the North American Amiga scene. One on One might have been cracked back then, but nothing has materialised so far except for the compilation disk version. The WHDLoad version is as close to a regular cracked version as we're going to get for now.

Last edited by DrBong; 07 May 2007 at 17:27.
Old 08 May 2007, 08:56   #14
falconsfan

DrBong I got it to work...TY Very Much!

I don't want to give up on this game, but I don't want to keep bothering you guys about it either... Its been almost 20years since I owned my Amiga, and back then I didn't get into the technical aspects, and its VERY hard these days to get any info about anything. I've asked so many "noobish" questions here already, I'm trying to remember everything I DID learn all at once, and its very overwhelming. I just recently acquired a A1000 again after that long, so this is a learning experience for me all over again. If I could wish for 1 thing, it would be some kind of training about disk structure, protections, what can and can't be done, AmigaDOS, and pretty much the basics. Now I'm older and I WANT to learn it, and the info just isn't there. Anyway, thanks again for getting this working even on emu without being on a compilation. My goal even if it takes me forever, I WILL crack this game and get it running on Original Hardware KS 1.2 mark my words, it will probably take awhile, but remembering having this as a kid, I KNOW its possible

Take Care!

PS. What exactly does sector 1 protection do? is it preventing only the one sector to be read there for the rest of the disk can't be read? or is it the whole disk can be read except sector 1 and thus is the last piece of the puzzle in order to have a working image? AND is it possible to get raw hex of that sector somehow?
Old 09 May 2007, 18:35   #15
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
DrBong I got it to work...TY Very Much!
Cool!

Quote:
I don't want to give up on this game, but I don't want to keep bothering you guys about it either... Its been almost 20years since I owned my Amiga, and back then I didn't get into the technical aspects, and its VERY hard these days to get any info about anything. I've asked so many "noobish" questions here already, I'm trying to remember everything I DID learn all at once, and its very overwhelming. I just recently acquired a A1000 again after that long, so this is a learning experience for me all over again. If I could wish for 1 thing, it would be some kind of training about disk structure, protections, what can and can't be done, AmigaDOS, and pretty much the basics. Now I'm older and I WANT to learn it, and the info just isn't there. Anyway, thanks again for getting this working even on emu without being on a compilation. My goal even if it takes me forever, I WILL crack this game and get it running on Original Hardware KS 1.2 mark my words, it will probably take awhile, but remembering having this as a kid, I KNOW its possible

PS. What exactly does sector 1 protection do? is it preventing only the one sector to be read there for the rest of the disk can't be read? or is it the whole disk can be read except sector 1 and thus is the last piece of the puzzle in order to have a working image? AND is it possible to get raw hex of that sector somehow?
Don't worry about asking questions.....we're a fairly patient lot here With respect to Amiga copy protections, custom disk formats etc., the SPS website is a good source of info.:

HLS Protection on early EA games + more
http://www.softpres.org/wip:2004-02-20

Disk structure, custom disk formats
http://www.softpres.org/wip:2002-07-18
http://www.softpres.org/glossary:custom_disk_format

You'll probably find more interesting stuff if you poke around the SPS website for yourself. Happy reading!
Old 14 May 2007, 10:47   #16
falconsfan

DrBong could I get you to unpack disk.1 and .zip the contents??? also do you know what "oneonone.slave" is for?

TIA!!
Old 15 May 2007, 13:27   #17
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
DrBong could I get you to unpack disk.1 and .zip the contents???
Unfortunately I can't coz my A4000 HD went down and I lost the archive (along with everything else!). The disk image is nothing special, though. It's just a compressed version of what's in the archive of the regular WHDLoad version for HD use:

http://www.whdownload.com/games.php?...hButton=Search

Download the archive and the disk image should be 901120 in size (just as an ADF is).

Can I ask what you're planning to do with the unpacked disk image?

Quote:
also do you know what "oneonone.slave" is for?
That's part of the WHDLoad patch for One on One. Slaves are usually written specifically for each game and call on functions of WHDLoad to patch the game in question. Check out Cody's excellent WHDLoad FAQ for further explanation:

http://wiki.abime.net/amiga:whdload_faq_by_codyjarrett

Last edited by DrBong; 15 May 2007 at 20:24.
Old 15 May 2007, 18:39   #18
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

The people at SPS have dumped my copy so it should be in a fully compatible emulator IPF format soon.
Old 15 May 2007, 20:33   #19
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing_1000
The people at SPS have dumped my copy so it should be in a fully compatible emulator IPF format soon.
Eh? The game was dumped ages ago, but it's not readily available (not that I could find anyway):

http://www.softpres.org/?id=:games&gameid=907

Is your original different from that dump or something?
Old 16 May 2007, 07:59   #20
falconsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
Can I ask what you're planning to do with the unpacked disk image?
Well, actually not much, I just wanted to see for my own curiosity what all is inside it. I tried using wrip but didn't seem to get any files out of it... I'm gonna try something else too, that decompresses disk.1 files.