English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 24 March 2012, 15:01   #1
commodoresales

Disksalv 2

Hello people.

Just discovered Disksalv 2 - seems an ace program. I am just trying to recover lots of files that I deleted by mistake. How do I recover them all replace them using this software? There seems to be no tutorial anywhere?
It seems to pick up everything that I have deleted but not too sure on how to get them back on my 1200?
Old 24 March 2012, 21:42   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

You must select the Undelete option right from the outset, then scan the disk.

A list of deleted files will be presented to you and you must select (highlight) those that you wish to recover. In this list, you must also select directories containing files you wish to recover and then open them and select files in each of the ditrectories too.

When you are done, select Undelete and they will be restored!

PS. If you know the exact path and filename of the file(s) you wish to restore, there is a very small command line utility on Aminet called 'UnDelete' which is preferable to using DiskSalv for recovering small numbers of files, IMO.

Edit: http://aminet.net/package/disk/salv/UnDelete

Last edited by prowler; 24 March 2012 at 21:53.
Old 25 March 2012, 00:03   #3
commodoresales

Thanks Prowler. Its odd that when I scan it using "salvage" the entire lot is displayed that has been deleted. However when scanning in "undelete" only two files display, one of the files saying "block"?
Old 25 March 2012, 00:30   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodoresales View Post
Thanks Prowler. Its odd that when I scan it using "salvage" the entire lot is displayed that has been deleted. However when scanning in "undelete" only two files display, one of the files saying "block"?
Sorry, I use DiskSalv so often that I can use it instinctively without thinking about what I'm doing, so it's difficult to describe exactly how to use it without having it running in front of me.

In this case, I would advise you to use the Salvage option. You will have to choose another location to copy the salvaged files to (another hard disk or a CF card mounted in the PCMCIA slot, for example). Salvaging to the same disk drive is not recommended.

Then, you can copy the recovered files back to where they were before you deleted them.