English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 16 August 2021, 18:36   #1
brufnus

Eek icon.library and workbench.library

Hi there!

I have a slight problem with the two mentioned files - the icon.library and workbench.library, which I'm hoping to solve on a software only-level.

A few days ago I replaced my KS3.1 with the new KS3.2 on my CDTV, unaware that I should've copied these two files to LIBS: in advance.
So now I'm a little stuck - I've transferred the files successfully (I think) via a serial connection, but WB keeps asking for these files.

Are there any special permissions I need to set in order for the AmigaOS3.2 included files to work in Workbench 3.1? They did include them for this purpose, as far as I can tell, so it ought to work... right? c".)
Old 16 August 2021, 18:54   #2
thomas

The CDTV should boot from the 3.2 CD. And even if not it should be able to read the CD so that you can copy the required files.

No, there are no special requirements. They just need to be named correctly and reside in the Libs directory.

Just inserting the CD when it asks for the libs should also solve the issue.
Old 16 August 2021, 19:02   #3
brufnus

Thanks for your reply, Thomas.

Well, that's one of my problems - my CD-ROM drive is not functional at the moment.

Anyway, I guess I should just try some different approaches and hopefully find the solution. Right now I'm transferring the Install 3.2 ADF to floppy, perhaps that will solve the problem.
Old 16 August 2021, 19:12   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brufnus View Post
Right now I'm transferring the Install 3.2 ADF to floppy, perhaps that will solve the problem.
If you have a floppy drive then yes.
Old 16 August 2021, 19:18   #5
brufnus

Argh! I can't read that floppy, even though it transferred it without any errors.

Perhaps I should downgrade my KS again, or use WINUAE or something to transfer the OS3.2 installation files to a hard drive.

Still... I don't understand why it doesn't recognize the files I put in LIBS... c".)
Old 16 August 2021, 19:57   #6
thomas

How did you transfer the files and the ADF, which software did you use?

If that software does not use checksums or similar error detection, then I would suspect that your serial connection is not as reliable as you think.
Old 16 August 2021, 20:03   #7
brufnus

Yes, perhaps you're right about that. I have few options since I only have a shell, of course.
So I used a type ser: to ram: etc. and ADF writer to send the files.

Nothing seem to work, but perhaps the files are incompatible with a WB3.1 or, as you say, incorrect checksum or something.

I'll probably have to use WINUAE to install 3.2 to a different hard drive and then clone it afterwards. I prefer not to disturb the kickstart any further....
Old 17 August 2021, 20:39   #8
brufnus

Da** that was tough! c".= lol

I couldn't make my Adaptec AHA2940 drivers working in Windows 7, and in Windows XP where it worked fine, I couldn't get WINUAE working.

Now I've installed XP again on another computer, and I've finally succeeded in getting WINUAE up and running with one of my SCSI Amiga hard drives and even mounted the AmigaOS3.2 CD-ROM!
So now I should be able to install 3.2 on that hard drive, and then be good to go. I do consider experimenting with the icon.library and workbench.library - copy them via WINUAE to the Amiga and see if that solves my initial problem. I'm not sure I have the correct icon version, but workbench.library 40.63 I do have, and that should be the correct version for OS 3.1.

Man, I haven't been working with AmigaDOS/Workbench for many many years, so it's great to gain some more knowledge and experience with it... that's the bright side of this story! :-D
Old 17 August 2021, 21:07   #9
brufnus

IT WORKS!!! :-D :-D

I reinstalled the SCSI drive on my CDTV, booted into a shell via early start, copied the two files from the AmigaOS3.2 install CD to my LIBS: folder, and voila! My OS3.1 / Workbench boots properly with the kickstart 3.2 installed! :-D

So - if anyone reads this, and choose to install the new kickstart 3.2 BEFORE installing the actual AmigaOS3.2, don't make the same mistake as I did...MAKE SURE you copy these two files - icon.library and workbench.library - from the LIBS folder on the CD to your SYS LIBS: (!)
I suppose these are the same version files as used with 3.2 itself, and they're probably compatible with 3.1.4 as well, although I don't have access to or experience with that version.

If everything goes well from here, which I assume, then I might soon be running AmigaOS3.2 on my old CDTV, after nearly 30 years of ownership! It's been upgraded with a SCSI controller and 8 MB fast RAM, and I also have a SCSI CD-ROM drive ready for installation.
My internal CD-ROM drive suddenly stopped working, but it seems to be the capacitors which builds up too strong a resistance, so there's a replacement project later on, probably during winter. B-)
Old 17 August 2021, 22:39   #10
brufnus

Okay, now I'm up and running with AmigaOS 3.2, and I even got the SCSI CD-ROM drive mounted; I had some problems with this earlier on, but now it turned out to be extremely simple... I didn't even have to edit it's SCSI ID in the MountList file, merely copy it to DEVS: and rename it from CD0: to CD1:...
So now I can finally read my CDPD and CDPDII disks, as well as quite a lot of other things, of course. c",)
Next thing will be to format a 36 GB Ultra Wide hard drive with SFS and make a clone to that one. c",)

P.S. I never was really satisfied with WB1.3... it's stable enough, sure, but it also leaves the impression that Commodore never got it finished before they were out of business. It's great to see however, that others still develop for these great computers. B-)
Old 19 August 2021, 18:00   #11
brufnus

Now I have a Compaq 36 GB Ultra Wide SCSI drive with two 18 GB (16.9 GiB) partitions on my CDTV, the primary is bootable into AmigaOS 3.2.

I've experimented quite a lot with SFS, but I haven't yet been successful in getting that to work, but in the end I merely used the native support in OS 3.2 and also learned it's vital to check the "direct SCSI access" check box in order for it to work. Perhaps that's what caused the problems with SFS as well.

Anyway, it works fine out of the box with the included version of HDToolBox. My two 17 GB partitions seems stable, hopefully that will last. c",)
Old 19 August 2021, 18:05   #12
brufnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
How did you transfer the files and the ADF, which software did you use?

If that software does not use checksums or similar error detection, then I would suspect that your serial connection is not as reliable as you think.
You were right. The files themselves worked flawlessly; it's probably the error checking and correction that doesn't work properly when opening the serial port from a safe boot/without startup-sequence.

Once I got the files at hand using my WINUAE, it booted as it should.

I suppose there are ways to make the serial transfer work from just a shell, but I'll need to experiment with that later on (could prove useful in the future, who knows...) ;-)