Old 25 April 2020, 01:44   #3301
kriz

Thanks for another version of icon.library, i love it
Old 25 April 2020, 18:40   #3302
PeterK

Thanks kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Can't test on my A1500 at the moment, so can't check Amidock right away, but looks promising...
Checked AmiDock 45.14 on my OS 3.9/3.1.4 System with my original icon.library 46.4.531_TC020, and I have no problems with TrueColor here.

Maybe, you have used IconEdit (which always writes color mapped images only), saved with Dopus4 IconInfo (with that broken 531 version, the fixed update should be fine) or the 68020 mode (ConvertTrueColor) to edit those icons with WB Icon->Information?

... I have to correct myself, the colorwheel which I used for testing AmiDock has only one image, and thus this issue with the lower color quality won't appear, because icons with just 1 image can't use my new buffers. And sometimes the quality loss of my color reduction is even hard to see on icons with 2 images.

But I've tested AmiDock and RAWBInfo again with the broken 531 and can confirm that some icons lost their TrueColor quality when they were displayed, which is fixed now. The good news: writing these icons with Dopus4 or RAWBInfo did not destroy the original TrueColor data!

Last edited by PeterK; 26 April 2020 at 06:25.
Old 26 April 2020, 01:10   #3303
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Sometimes it's difficult to explain things to you ...

In 99 % of all cases in your very special AfA_OS configuration the icon_lib.exe is loading and displaying the icons and not my icon.library. But there are a few exceptions like in DOpus4 where my gfx patch is replacing the images, that AfA's icon_lib.exe sends to the blitter, just in time before they are displayed.

You're right the "Icon_Lib.exe" is immortal is always there.

Let's say that they work together and they work together...

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 May 2020 at 10:17.
Old 26 April 2020, 17:08   #3304
James

Quote:
But I've tested AmiDock and RAWBInfo again with the broken 531 and can confirm that some icons lost their TrueColor quality when they were displayed, which is fixed now. The good news: writing these icons with Dopus4 or RAWBInfo did not destroy the original TrueColor data!

Can't test anything on my A1500 at the moment, it is getting old and has a few issues that need sorting out. Will be a while before it is usable again.

Quote:
Tested CyberLemmings now and can confirm that it stops as long as Mysticube is running, no matter which icon.library I use (with v45.22 too). Furthermore, CyberLemmings causes graphic glitches on my TrueColor screen when I pull the mouse pointer down to the bottom where the Lemmings are running around in high speed and move the mouse a bit in that area. The corruption ends when I stop CyberLemmings with a break. It seems not to be as system friendly as it claims, but I don't know if it interferes with other patches maybe? If you still think that there might be a problem coming from my library, I need to know which CL settings (tooltypes) you are using.
Used to test my RTG equipped Amigas by playing Soliton while having AMPlifier/AmigaAMP playing an mp3 and running Mysticube, CyberLemmings and Flynn at the same time. I remember it all running OK on the A1500.
I have also tried similar things with AfA/WinUAE where it used to run very well. Just tried it again, and they do run together, but not as smoothly as I remember. Not sure what has changed. Can't say it has anything to do with icon.library at the moment...

Have been looking at the 256x256 AbandonMI2 icons:

http://os4depot.net/?function=showfi...abandonmi2.lha

They display very nicely with your icon.library, but I have noticed a problem. When snapshotting the folder contents the parent drawer icon image is lost.
Old 26 April 2020, 17:51   #3305
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Have been looking at the 256x256 AbandonMI2 icons:

http://os4depot.net/?function=showfi...abandonmi2.lha

They display very nicely with your icon.library, but I have noticed a problem. When snapshotting the folder contents the parent drawer icon image is lost.
Wow, I didn't know that Mason icon set yet, it's the ultimate killer icon collection with more than 1 GB of huge icons! And yes, I can confirm that something goes wrong with the parent drawer icons during snapshot. I will start some investigations soon. Thanks again for reporting that.

Update: Ok, there is a bug and I'm going to fix it soon, but for the moment as a work around you can use my command "KeepPlanarImages" in your startup-sequence.

Last edited by PeterK; 26 April 2020 at 18:43.
Old 26 April 2020, 20:42   #3306
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.532:

I've made a fix for the loss of TrueColor in images of third party tools like Dopus4, AmiDock and RAWBInfo. Fortunately, the TrueColor data was not replaced by the color mapping when the icons were written to disk. And there is another small fix for full size OS4 icons (256x256), which prevents a conflict with an old work around for broken ARGB icons that have used the values -1, -1 for width and height (also 256x256). The new and correctly formatted Mason icons could not be reloaded after saving them with my optimization for planar images. Now the work around can distinguish between the bad and the good icons, but for AfA_OS you would still need my command "KeepPlanarImages", because it likes (or even needs) bad planar images.
Old 26 April 2020, 23:02   #3307
DjDiabolik

I don't understand...... i have a WinAUE whit this setup:
A1200 - 68020 Chip 2MB Z3 - 32MB.
RTG - UAE Picasso III whit 64MB
OS WB 3.1 whit Picasso96

After so many test i have just installed NewIcons46.lha.

But AMIGASYSTEM has suggest this module but i don't have understand if... at now.. need to uninstall NewIcons or not.

If yes how i can do ? I need, another time, to reinstall wb 3.1 from scratch ? I hope no.

After that i have another question...... i don't have also understand how i can install and use it.
I have SetPatch_43.6b.lha installed/copied on my C:. It's only need to copy the correct icon.library on libs folder or not ?
Old 27 April 2020, 11:47   #3308
PeterK

Hello DjDiabolik,

on OS 3.1 with Kickstart 3.0 or 3.1 you can first try out to boot from my IconDemoA1200.adf (see 1. post) to test my icon.library without any installation. But these demo floppy images are slow and have no RTG support. It just gives you an idea which other icon types can be displayed on your system (see screenshots).

In case you really want to install my library on your system you have to disable the built-in icon.library of the 3.1 Rom. That can be done with a tool from Thomas Rapp which is stored under ThirdParty/RemLib in my Aminet package: (add the following lines before SetPatch)
Code:
If EXISTS Libs:icon.library
   RemLib >NIL: icon.library
   If EXISTS Libs:workbench.library  ; this is optional 
      RemLib >NIL: workbench.library ; for a wblib v44+
   EndIf                             ; but works better
EndIf
On a WinUAE system with RTG and P96 you can use my icon.library_TC020 for TrueColor icons. Copy it into the Libs: folder and rename it to icon.library. If you have a workbench.library v44/45 you can do the same. Don't install FBlit on a P96 system, but add my instruction IconsToFastMem to your startup-sequence above LoadWB. For other optional commands have a look into my readme file.

I would highly recommend to install SwazInfo from Aminet and the CopyIcon tool written by Stephan Rupprecht from my ThirdParty folder, which is modified to work on OS 3.0/3.1 already. I allows you to swap the images of your existing icons without changing the tooltypes. http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/SwazInfo18b

Last edited by PeterK; 27 April 2020 at 13:31.
Old 27 April 2020, 13:54   #3309
DjDiabolik

Quote:
Hello DjDiabolik,

on OS 3.1 with Kickstart 3.0 or 3.1 you can first try out to boot from my IconDemoA1200.adf (see 1. post) to test my icon.library without any installation. But these demo floppy images are slow and have no RTG support. It just gives you an idea which other icon types can be displayed on your system (see screenshots).

In case you really want to install my library on your system you have to disable the built-in icon.library of the 3.1 Rom. That can be done with a tool from Thomas Rapp which is stored under ThirdParty/RemLib in my Aminet package: (add the following lines before SetPatch)
Code:
If EXISTS Libs:icon.library
   RemLib >NIL: icon.library
   If EXISTS Libs:workbench.library  ; this is optional 
      RemLib >NIL: workbench.library ; for a wblib v44+
   EndIf                             ; but works better
EndIf
On a WinUAE system with RTG and P96 you can use my icon.library_TC020 for TrueColor icons. Copy it into the Libs: folder and rename it to icon.library. If you have a workbench.library v44/45 you can do the same. Don't install FBlit on a P96 system, but add my instruction IconsToFastMem to your startup-sequence above LoadWB. For other optional commands have a look into my readme file.

I would highly recommend to install SwazInfo from Aminet and the CopyIcon tool written by Stephan Rupprecht from my ThirdParty folder, which is modified to work on OS 3.0/3.1 already. I allows you to swap the images of your existing icons without changing the tooltypes. http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/SwazInfo18b

On my WinUAE i have two different A1200 setup.
One whit a AUEGFX Zorro III and one whitout.

Both configuration it's maked using a different "windows folder" as HD and both using a "Shared" folder i use for install the whdload games.

At this point this previous night (i'm going to sleep at about 6AM italy zone) i have apparently successfully install your library on WB 3.1 whitout RTG.
For do this i have loaded the demo adf and i have copyed all contents in a temp folder.
After that from "Windows Explorer" i have made a mixed configuration:
- I have manually copyed all files from folder "C" "Devs" etc etc from ADF to my current OS but i have choose to not overwrite the existent files.
- After that i have open my startup-sequence and the S-S present inside the adf and also here i made a merge. I have made a lot addiction to my S-S..... after that a have "Reset" my emulation.

At reboot i have see what's append.... i have see a lot of "drawers" have maintain the default OS icons.
At this point i have changed manually all icons used the Icon Pack included on NewIcons46.

I don't know if it's a correct way to install this but apparently it's works:

Now it's turn on RTG setup......

*EDIT*
For understand how your Modified CopyIcon i have need to puzzled myself
After about 15minutes i understand how it's works....... apparently i need to execute it.... drag the source icon to left zone and after drag the target to the right zone.

Apparently this it's works.... but it's not works whit main icon of Workbench or HD Icons... strange.

*EDIT 2*
The installation of http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/SwazInfo18b it's fail!! It's occour an errors at 70% and it's say:
Could copy file SwazInfoApp.info.. not found.

How i can fix this ?

*EDIT 3*
Apparently the Istall script of SwazInfo it's corrupted or missed some parts..... i can't complete the installation due missing files.

*EDIT 4*
Problably the solution here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84359&page=2

or simply reach here:
Your Quoted Reply

You say:
Quote:
PeterK 01:54 10 October 2016
Seems you don't know what you're doing!?!

Why not simply copying SwazInfo and its icon into the WBStartup drawer?
I "brutally" copyed the SwazInfo and SwazInfo.info in WBStartup... reset my WinUAE and all apparently works.

Last edited by DjDiabolik; 27 April 2020 at 15:12.
Old 27 April 2020, 16:43   #3310
PeterK

Seems that most things are already working now ... so far so good!

Don't know what's going wrong with CopyIcon and your disks. I've just tried it on 3.1 again and it works for me, even if the disks have no icon (disk.info file) yet. Are your disk.info files read-only protected? Or can you upload one of these disk.info files that don't want their images to be updated by CopyIcon. Or do you want to replace them with NewIcons? There is a tooltype in CopyIcon.info "DropNewIcon". If that is active enclose it with brackets. Usually, NewIcon tooltypes are handled as rubbish!

Edit: Actually, CopyIcon should work with this "DropNewIcon" tooltype too, because the NewIcons are always converted into the OS 3.5 ColorIcon format, but maybe there is something wrong with your call of the c:NewIcons patch in your startup-sequence, which is only required to get frameless icons with transparency over the background on 3.1.

Btw, CopyIcon comes with its own original documentation, which is included.

And sorry, but I rarely ever use the Installer, like you tried it with SwazInfo. I prefer to have full control over any modifications to my system.

Edit: Why are you installing these old fashioned NewIcons on a fast WinUAE RTG system? Why not PNG or OS4 icons with TrueColor and soft alpha channel blending?

Last edited by PeterK; 28 April 2020 at 11:00.
Old 27 April 2020, 22:48   #3311
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know that Mason icon set yet, it's the ultimate killer icon collection with more than 1 GB of huge icons!
They are cyclopean but very beautiful icons

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 February 2022 at 10:03.
Old 30 April 2020, 19:28   #3312
DjDiabolik

Quote:
CUT CUT

Edit: Why are you installing these old fashioned NewIcons on a fast WinUAE RTG system? Why not PNG or OS4 icons with TrueColor and soft alpha channel blending?
Thanks also to AMIGASYSTEM on his italian forums i have also setup a fast RTG configuration.
I have tryed a PNG OS4 icons but this caused a slowdown and gave us a lot of time to load.

At this point i have switched to the set "extracted" from ClassicWB setup....

If you want i can also post some screenshot of my RTG config...

Thanks again to AMIGASYSTEM for his usefull help..... I probably never thanked him in his forum....
Old 30 April 2020, 19:59   #3313
PeterK

Strange that your WinUAE is not fast enough.

Ok, on WB 3.1 my icon.library is definitely slower than on WB 3.5/3.9 or 3.1.4 for several reasons, but with the Jit enabled (no MMU), fastest possible CPU (no cycle exact chipset) and the Idle slider to the left most position, it still runs quite fast on WinUAE. Don't use any Quickstart configurations, except for the case that you want emulate real (slow) Amiga hardware.
Old 01 May 2020, 01:00   #3314
DjDiabolik

Quote:
Strange that your WinUAE is not fast enough.

Ok, on WB 3.1 my icon.library is definitely slower than on WB 3.5/3.9 or 3.1.4 for several reasons, but with the Jit enabled (no MMU), fastest possible CPU (no cycle exact chipset) and the Idle slider to the left most position, it still runs quite fast on WinUAE. Don't use any Quickstart configurations, except for the case that you want emulate real (slow) Amiga hardware.
mmmm... on my current config i don't use the JIT... and i have enabled all cicle exact check (one on CPU/FPU and both in Chipset tab). It's not ok in this mode ?
If i try to activate JIT and "Fastest possible" i can obtain trouble or issue during games ?
Old 01 May 2020, 10:26   #3315
PeterK

It should not be a problem, because you can save as many different configurations in WinUAE as you like.

Make one for your games, maybe with the original A1200 settings, and another one with fastest CPU speed, Jit enabled, Idle slider moved to the left, no cycle exact, no MMU, multi-threading for the UAE graphics enabled.

And you can also add your Amiga partition or directories to the exclude list of the Windows Defender to prevent it from scanning all Amiga files first when you access them.
Old 04 May 2020, 21:48   #3316
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter a high CPU and JIT can create small problems in WHDLoad Games. in some cases the games are too fast in other slow ones, also you can get small graphic imperfections.
I think the best choice for WHDLoad games is an A1200 4/8 MB RAM no JIT.

Peter if you are interested in these new datatypes:

https://ae.amigalife.org/index.php?t...19.msg4557#new
Old 04 May 2020, 23:12   #3317
PeterK

Of course, I can understand that many games are emulated much too fast with Jit and fastest CPU settings in WinUAE, although I will never play any games or run WHDLoad. I hate games since I'm always the loser and I could never find it interesting in playing something over the last 45 years or so ...

It seems these new datatypes are for Aros x86, that's nothing for me, but any Amiga software development is appreciated, maybe we get ports for other platforms later ...
Old 05 May 2020, 11:00   #3318
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Of . I hate games since I'm always the loser and I could never find it interesting in playing something over the last 45 years or so ...
I've never been good at ease, too, I haven't played for many, many years.

Quote:
It seems these new datatypes are for Aros x86, that's nothing for me, but any Amiga software development is appreciated, maybe we get ports for other platforms later ...
I asked Miker, if I understand correctly there will also be datatype for OS3

https://ae.amigalife.org/index.php?t...19.msg4560#new
Old 05 May 2020, 11:35   #3319
PeterK

Miker:
Quote:
I'm not sure AROS 68k datatypes work on OS3.
Yes, I also have doubt whether that will work, because I've already tested to use some OS 3.x datatypes and the datatype.library on Aros 68k to check out if Eastern would work then, but Aros did not even finish booting when I tried that. There seem to be some differences in the API and that would be a real compatibility problem, if I didn't make a mistake in my tests.
Old 05 May 2020, 15:59   #3320
AMIGASYSTEM

Sorry Peter if I'm still bothering you, with the new ASL replacement GUI MUI when I display the "preview icons" (both large and small) if I don't wait for "all images" to load when I go ahead with the choice I get a system crash.

If instead I wait for the images to load, or if the images are smaller and with less colors the block does not happen, this happens with any OS tested.

I would specify that without preview I don't have any crash problem

Do you think there is a solution to avoid Crash given the comfort I find in this GUI?

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 May 2020 at 13:25.