English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 November 2002, 00:35   #1
ervin

Thumbs up WinUAE 0.8.22 R2

Hi all.

My first post on this board - here goes.

Well, I've downloaded the latest WinUAE. Talk about excited!
It's ironic that one of the most exciting uses I can think of for my shiny fast PC is emulating my older computers, but anyway...

The latest WinUAE seems to have some weird speed issues - for example, after changing something in the configuration while WinUAE is running, it takes a few moments for normal speed to resume. And sometimes during a game the speed drops to about half and then goes normal again. Weird. Makes no difference if I disable/enable sound, reduce the display refresh rate, or mess with CPU idle mode. Ah well.

Otherwise, compatibility has improved yet again. Very impressive Toni!

"Fastest possible, but maintain chipset timing" seems to work better now too - timing is indeed maintained more accurately (unless it's just my imagination). Warhead, for example, remains at the correct speed (great game that).

AND I can FINALLY play the Amiga version of one of my all time favourite games - from way back in the dark mists of 8-bit-ness.
Yes, Sorcery+ finally works on WinUAE!!! The colours seem to darken once the game loads though...

Once again, thanks Toni - very nice work.

I look forward to some suggestions from others who may have overcome some of the weird speed issues. Maybe it's just my PC...
Old 15 November 2002, 07:54   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I look forward to some suggestions from others who may have overcome some of the weird speed issues. Maybe it's just my PC...
Does the problem appear in all screen modes? (fullscreen, windowed and fullscreen vsync)

Backup and delete all WinUAE configuration files from Configurations-directory. Create new config from scratch (change only cpu type, kickstart) Does the problem disappear?
Old 15 November 2002, 08:15   #3
cray

I noticed a slowdown on my system too, but it only happens when switching from opengl to direct-x and back while the emulation is running..
This happens in windowed and fullscreen mode.
My config is built from scratch.
And until now i've found no way to overcome my joypad problem with the x- and y-axis, too..

My system is:
Athlon xp 1600
512 MB Ram
Geforece 4MX 64 MB
SB Live
Windows XP
Old 15 November 2002, 23:56   #4
ervin

Toni - thanks for the ideas.
I'll give them a try sometime this weekend.
Old 18 November 2002, 01:52   #5
harrison

I downloaded this new version and tried it out for the first time this weekend and it definitely feels more stabe than 0.8.21 r2 that I was using before.

And this new version works much better with some of the games I have tried so far. I could never get Xenon 2 to work before without graphics corruption, but now it works perfectly.

I also like some of the new additions to the features. And the Hardfile support seems to be better. The audio support also seems to work better so far.

Although it has crashed twice on me so far. Once when I selected 68040 and tried to boot a WB3.1 adf and the other time I tried to change the opengl settings.

I have found it works better with opengl switched off. But I haven't tried this on my other PC's so it might be a machine specific error.

I also tried accessing a few Amiga CD's while booted from a WB 3.0 hardfile and that also seemed to work better than before. Although it did crash when I tried to copy a dir from the CD to the hardfile HD. Although this used to happen on my real Amiga's as well so at least it's consistent.

Old 18 November 2002, 02:17   #6
Djay
95th User

This release works so well with my new computer... i used to have a p2 350.... and all the newer versions of WinUAE ran soooo bad... esp. the audio...

...but now i have p4 2.oGhz... all runs fine!!!

i do however get a software failure on "State of the Art"