English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 02 September 2004, 02:02   #1
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

O.S 3.9 Hard disk problems

I have just upgraded from workbench 3.1 to o.s 3.9 on my miggy 1200. I have a internal 20gb hard drive, a blizzard 1230-IV with 32mb of memory fitted and a dvd-rom drive. My problem is that I've got 3 partitions on my hard drive a games partition, work partition, and a workbench partition. These took up the 4gb space on the hard drive before I got o.s 3.9. After I installed 3.9 one of the partitions has vanished the work partition. All the icon says is hd2:uninitialised or something similar.

I have used quarterback tools 2.0 to repair these problems in the past and its always worked with workbench 3.1. I have now tried it on o.s 3.9 it checks all the blocks and the files and comes up with no errors on files when the check is complete. But the same error hd2:uninitialised is still coming up. Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

Also could you tell me how to put extra partitions on the drive since I can now use the full 20gb. I've used the hdtools and it shows the full hard disk is available but all the partitions that are currently on the hard drive do not show. Is there anyway of correcting this? Thanks in advance.
Old 02 September 2004, 15:35   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
first you need to install the two 3.9 boingbags, the second one has the newer ffs that automounts partitions over the 4 gig mark, before this you had to create a mountlist.

as for your harddrive... try booting of a 3.1 workbench floppy, see if the drive comes up, if it does back it up somewhere (ie. spread it over the other partitions) reboot into 3.9, format and copy back...

but try the boingbags first, the drive might just appear after the update...
Old 02 September 2004, 16:33   #3
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severin
as for your harddrive... try booting of a 3.1 workbench floppy, see if the drive comes up, if it does back it up somewhere (ie. spread it over the other partitions) reboot into 3.9, format and copy back...
Alternatly to spreading it over other Partitions you could connect the Drive to your PC and use WinUAE to store your data on the PC, format and Partition the Drive and write back the Data.
Old 02 September 2004, 21:57   #4
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Thanks for the advice, but I found out that installing o.s 3.9 had deleted a lot of games out of my games directory. So I've had to re-format and start again. But I've found unless I redetect the harddrive drive using hd tools I can't get access to the 20gb of the drive. But this causes the hard drive to be wiped so I have to reinstall workbench 3.1 and idefix97 to get the dvd-rom drive working, then reinstall o.s 3.9. The when I look at the drive it shows about 8gb of it is partioned. When I use HD tools to try and find the other missing 10gb of the drive I can't. Is there anyway I can find the other 10gb of the drive, or a different tool I can use other than hd tools.
Old 03 September 2004, 16:31   #5
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I've tried installing boing bag 1 & 2 and still the same thing happens. The only solution I can see now is either using WinUAE like Npl suggested, but its a 2.5" drive so I'll need to buy something to connect it up. My other option is the one I think I'll go with I have a 4 way IDE connecter so I can add another hard drive to it. I can then use this and install o.s 3.9 on it. Run o.s 3.9 on the hard drive and use it to detect the internal drive and partition it. Then install o.s 3.9 on the internal disk and hopefully have full use of the 20gb hard drive.
Old 19 September 2004, 00:44   #6
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Managed to get my hard drive working to the full 20gb. It was quite easy to do in the end. Just used o.s. 3.9 to make an emergency disk. Booted up via the emergency disk, and it uses ide fix so I can use my ide dvd-rom drive. Use hdtools to re-detect the hard drive to get the full 20gb. Partitioned, formatted and reinstalled o.s 3.9 and it works like a dream now. Thanks to everyone that tried to help.