English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 October 2014, 22:43   #61
PeteJ

I am still looking at repairing the motherboard but I was thinking if I bought the A604n Memory Expansion and the Indivision ECS Scandoubler would that bypass the video circuit and have it's own output? The Indivision AGA for the 1200 fits over LISA but I don't know how the Indivision ECS works plugged into the A604n in the 600. It looks like it has a ribbon cable with a vga socket. Will I still need to repair the video circuit and replace the 74HCT244 with the Indivision ECS ?
Old 03 October 2014, 18:55   #62
jimbob

IndiECS should work fine since your green problem is an most likely an analogue video circuit issue somewhere after the denise video data outputs. IndiECS has totally separate analogue output.
Old 04 October 2014, 13:56   #63
PeteJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
IndiECS should work fine since your green problem is an most likely an analogue video circuit issue somewhere after the denise video data outputs. IndiECS has totally separate analogue output.
ok thanks, at least I will have another way to keep the a600 alive if the circuit frame repair is not successful.
Old 30 July 2015, 18:52   #64
cosmiq

I just had the very same problem of a hanging CAPSLOCK + black screen at bootup (A600). I removed the cap as seen in the first image of this thread (on the right of the mobo), but that didn't help: same black screen. No visible acid on the board. After leaving it on for a while I got a purple screen, but I don't know what that means.

Then I thought of the PSU being the same age, so I took an ATX power supply and soldered an Amiga cable to it. Schematics here:

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._supplies.html

This did the trick! I now see a boot screen, but I'm still unable to reset the amiga due to the missing cap. I ordered a cap pack from amikit so hopefully I'm skilled enough to solder that stuff on. I'm happy that my A600 didn't completely die (yet). This might give some hope to people with the same problem.
Old 17 April 2016, 23:17   #65
jarp

Thanks thanks thanks! I made an mistake and recapped whole board without testing it between every few caps. Black screen. I was so mad. I even started to resolder some surrounding parts (including that 555) thinking I made an mistake with hot air and blew some component off a bit or something. Then found this thread, removed that very cap and wham, works. Resoldered the same cap back with ridiculous amount of flux and still works.

Dont know why though, I went through every cap with multimeter and checked against short circuits and found none. Cold joint would do the same than no cap at all. Weird. But that cap had leaked a lot, perhaps it was enough when I re-cleaned the area when I redid it.

Btw. Almost every single cap had leaked... Rev1 board. Neutralized stains with vinegear and washed with IPA.

So thanks, without this thread I would still be resoldering stuff.
Old 31 May 2016, 22:06   #66
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Here is a video with the same video interface... [ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 March 2018, 19:29   #67
Reb

Old thread, but a good reason too keep it alive!
THANK YOU!
Did exactly as Kipper2k showed in the first post, removed the cap. My A600 is alive again! I will change all caps, but so nice to see it working. Gotta love the Amiga community and the excellent forums!