English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 21 March 2003, 17:32   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Your worst Amiga joystick

What did you find to be the worst controller for your games?
My dad once bought a monstrosity called a 'Moonraker' and it was the most hideous looking and unresponsive heap of garbage Ive ever used! The main stick detached from the base for some reason I never discovered and I think I would have had more control using the force!

I also found The Bug stick a nasty little awkward controller (definitely no good for Speedball 2 sessions) although some people I know actually liked it.

What are your crappy controller contraptions?

The Bug: Uggghhhh :disgusted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bug.jpg
Views:	3706
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	4932  
Old 21 March 2003, 17:36   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

I actually liked the bug

I hated anything like Competition Pro/Zipstick the position of the fire-buttons gave me really bad cramps in my hands
Old 21 March 2003, 17:54   #3
Paul
RIP Friends

I had a Bug stick but could never get on with it. I remember when I first plugged this thing in, it pushed the connecter pin in and I had to get someone to unscrew my A600 and push the pin back out.

Ever since plugging this bug stick in, I have had to shave a bit off any controller before it will connect.
Old 21 March 2003, 18:07   #4
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Eek

Hey, the bug looks great!

I never liked "classic joysticks" at all... But rather the gun style stuff, with the stick on top of it...
Old 21 March 2003, 18:45   #5
cv643d

The biggest Commodore oriented magazine in Sweden had a yearly joystick shootout wich was owned every year by the TAC 2 joystick. Then one year The Bug won it. I have two Bug joysticks and even after all those years I still dont understand why it won. But some like it.
Old 21 March 2003, 19:44   #6
Echo

Zip stick. What a nightmare. How these things were so popular astonishes me.

Perhaps if they were 'glued' down to a large surface, it might work. But holding the base in one's hand, is totally uncomfortable.

Give me a gamepad anyday.
Old 21 March 2003, 20:12   #7
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
Quickshot II. Broked in less then two weeks (Okay, my brother and I were young and we always squabbled over them) but my Competition works since more than 13 years now.
Old 21 March 2003, 20:37   #8
rattus

my worst joystick? that tacky bootleg plastic-switched Competition Pro I had the misfortune of buying The stick is too stiff to move unless it is nailed to the desk and even then it is still unresponive and causes major hand cramps. On the other hand I do like my CompPro Mini as it's the right size to hold in the palm of your hand and clicks nicely

That bug joystick looks weird....O_o
Old 22 March 2003, 00:05   #9
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
nah, the worst ever was the 'Quickjoy120', a 'pistol grip' type, it was very stiff (including the fire buttons), you couldn't use it for more than 5 minutes without your hand starting to ache.

Did anyone ever try a 'le stick' a mercury switch based joystick from the 80's? They were probably crap but I've always wanted one to add to my collection

The best I ever had (and still use) was a black beastie with red fire buttons, you have to hold in your left hand due to the shape, all micro switched, they made 1 / 2 / 3 button versions, some with autofire, even an analog version, pity I can't remember the name (the label fell off years ago)
Old 22 March 2003, 12:07   #10
cv643d

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin

The best I ever had (and still use) was a black beastie with red fire buttons, you have to hold in your left hand due to the shape, all micro switched, they made 1 / 2 / 3 button versions, some with autofire, even an analog version, pity I can't remember the name (the label fell off years ago)
Maybe its a Gravis joystick?
I have something that sounds like its that and its a Gravis. Its black with a large base and 3 red buttons, then you can make the joystick motion feel stiffer or looser. I thought I found an analog Amiga joystick but sadly it was only digital :-/
Old 22 March 2003, 12:54   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi
How do you place that "bug" on a table and press the firebutton quickly while moving the joystick, for example in the bonus round of Shinobi?

This one is pure evil:
you hold it in the palm of your hand and alternate the firebuttons with 2 fingers as they are the same
Old 22 March 2003, 15:17   #12
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:
Originally posted by cv643d
Maybe its a Gravis joystick?
I have something that sounds like its that and its a Gravis. Its black with a large base and 3 red buttons, then you can make the joystick motion feel stiffer or looser. I thought I found an analog Amiga joystick but sadly it was only digital :-/
Nope, but I had one of those too

It's a speedking, I found a joystick review in Amiga Computing 77, Sept '94
Old 24 March 2003, 15:04   #13
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

The Konix speed king was the most annoying joystick I ever used........diagonals were useless on games like IK+ and the stick itself was too short. It was only worthwhile using with racing games from memory because you could hold it in the palm of your hand.

An honourary mention should also go to the cream C= joysticks included with the early C64s. Using them was like driving a car without power steering.

Last edited by DrBong; 25 March 2003 at 10:32.
Old 25 March 2003, 00:51   #14
spiff
Oh noes!

I always hated joysticks..
the only thing they where good for where Arcades where they where STUCK in the cabinet or for analogue flightsims.
I had a tac2 rip off.. and it took about 2 days before I cut off the edges on my sega MS control pad and connected it to the amiga. Never looked back after that, and the fact that a couple of games used two buttons made things even better.
Old 25 March 2003, 07:33   #15
th4t1guy

The worst Joystick I've had was the Quickshot 2. It was good for flight sims and Dragon's Lair, and that's about it. The buttons and stick used these switches that made rapid fire almost impossible for shoot-em-ups, and the stick was too clumsy for platforms. And if that wasn't enough, the autofire was the worst autofire I've ever witnessed on a joystick.

Second worst on this list would probably goto a gamepad.
Old 25 March 2003, 23:36   #16
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by spiff
I always hated joysticks..
the only thing they where good for where Arcades where they where STUCK in the cabinet or for analogue flightsims.
I had a tac2 rip off.. and it took about 2 days before I cut off the edges on my sega MS control pad and connected it to the amiga. Never looked back after that, and the fact that a couple of games used two buttons made things even better.
Woo-hoo! Sega Master System controllers were the Wagglers of Champions; I used ONE Sega Joystick from 1990 to 2002, first on the SMS itself, and then on my A500... and it still works!

The worst sticks ever were those obscure cheap ones that always seem to come with any second hand computer you buy, and which when you plug them in don't work at all... you know the ones I mean; "Blah blah, computer, wibble games, quack quack... AND 3 JOYSTICKS".
Old 26 March 2003, 18:20   #17
hal
where am i ?

Quote:
Originally posted by rattus
my worst joystick? that tacky bootleg plastic-switched Competition Pro I had the misfortune of buying The stick is too stiff to move unless it is nailed to the desk and even then it is still unresponive and causes major hand cramps.
yes i have one of those it sucks way too stiff
the worst joystick however was my atari joystick
(originally came with an atari 2600 we used to have)
it broke and it had an extra wire i shouldn't have messed with
cost me a motherboard may that particular joystick burn in hell
Old 27 March 2003, 16:12   #18
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
I would have to say THE MAVERICK I tried looking for a picture but couldn't find one

it was a big Board and the joystick was on the left side with buttons on the right, boy it was awkward to use
Old 27 March 2003, 16:25   #19
hal
where am i ?

Quote:
Originally posted by CPC464
I would have to say THE MAVERICK I tried looking for a picture but couldn't find one

it was a big Board and the joystick was on the left side with buttons on the right, boy it was awkward to use
must be meant for left handed people
Old 03 April 2003, 20:47   #20
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
i have a Maverick lol! it aint bad i suppose

but the worst of all time has to be! DRUMROLL...... the Quickshot II!

every single one i had fell apart lol!