English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 July 2002, 13:00   #1
oldpx

Checking a 2.5" hd for errors

I just bought a second hand 2.5" hd for my non-ppc () A1200. The guy that sold me the HD asked me to check it for errors. I did not pay anything to him yet and if there are some bad sectors, I may return the drive.

So I must check it now. What is the best way to do that? Can I connect this drive to my pc and use scandisk? I only have 3.5" ide ports on my pc (naturally). I know trying to format it under workbench will reveal if there are any bad sectors or not but I don't want to lose the drive in this process and would like to recover as much space as possible. Is it possible to mark the bad sectors so that amiga doesn't use them anymore?

Old 12 July 2002, 14:43   #2
oldpx

I can't even format this thing. When I connect it, the disc spins then stops with a click, then tries to spin again. It is not detected by HDToolbox. Is it dead?

Old 12 July 2002, 16:48   #3
RetroMan

Any Jumpers set ? Try without them ! For checking the HD format it with FFS and then use DiskSalv to check the HD
Old 12 July 2002, 17:20   #4
oldpx

The drive is FK203A-45Z from Fuji electric, there's no info on this machine I could find on the web and jumper functions aren't explained on the drive which means basically no information is available on how to modify the jumpers at all. One jumper was previously placed. I removed it and the drive didn't even spin the disk this way but I'll try the combinations. Looks like jumpers do make a difference after all. Thanks for the information

Old 13 July 2002, 04:42   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
I can't even format this thing. When I connect it, the disc spins then stops with a click, then tries to spin again. It is not detected by HDToolbox. Is it dead?
try unplugging it and plugging it in again. This happened to me with a couple fo PC drives, and my A600's Western Digital once did this, and it scared the shit out of me, but it fixed itself after a few extra powerups! But this was EXTREMELY lucky. The PC ones never worked again. I think that HD you got is dead
Old 13 July 2002, 10:17   #6
oldpx

Quote:
try unplugging it and plugging it in again
Sounds dangerous but I've got nothing to lose. I just recently lost my 2.1hd on my main amiga I had just installed that bloody cgx4 properly!

Old 13 July 2002, 16:07   #7
Amiga1992

It's not dangerous if you do it while the machine is powered off! I didnt mean you should do it while it's on, sorry :P

I'm just telling you the procedure that brought my A600HD back to life. I think it was a miracle, and only worked because the A600 is a beaut, and because Western Digital makes the best hard drives ever, IMO

10 years without a fail or data loss! Except for th elittle scare it gave me, everything works fine always.

Also try changing power supply, or after it does that thing, power off the meega and power it in again. I also had that happening to me.
Old 13 July 2002, 16:48   #8
oldpx

Quote:
It's not dangerous if you do it while the machine is powered off! I didnt mean you should do it while it's on, sorry :P
LOL. I was really in a mood to do that when the power was on! Anyway things are going well with my main system and this one is a minor problem now. I agree you on Western Digital and A600 , I tried this hd with my A600 too but the result was the same. That's no big deal though, I'll return it asap. Thanks.

Old 13 July 2002, 19:25   #9
Paul
RIP Friends

Akira My A600 HD also played up. After rebooting 7 time it made a clank sound, and it started working again luckily. Have not had any problems since.
Old 14 July 2002, 03:22   #10
Amiga1992

Have you got a WD inside that beast? I think WD drives are astonishing. That's why I bought a WD for my PC after two other drives wrecked terribly.

I stilll have to backup my A600 stuff.. the HD is nearing its tenth year, and though it's good, I don't expect miracles!
Old 26 July 2002, 09:28   #11
oldpx

The HD is working! I mean it spins up and keeps running but it was used on a pc before and I have to format it. BUT when it is connected, the Amiga doesn't check for disks in df0: and Icannot boot from my workbench 3.1 install disk to format the drive. I tried all possible jumper settings. Any ideas? I tried it on both my 1200s and going to try it on an A600 now.

Old 27 July 2002, 14:19   #12
Amiga1992

Have you tried changing the PSU? Looks to me like it's draining too much power...
Old 28 July 2002, 08:17   #13
oldpx

I used three seperate PSUs, two are old A500 ones. I'll try with a new cable & try to connect it as a secondary HD to my 4 way ide connector & format it that way.