English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 19 May 2014, 20:16   #1
torturedutopian

FS UAE Arcade - other platforms?

Hey guys !

I'm currently using Advance MENU to start all my emulators on my Linux machine in an arcade cabinet... It seems not to be that much supported anymore.

I realized that FS-UAE Arcade could be potentially used to start other emulators. Is it planned ? In Advance Menu for instance, one can specify "generic emulators" (syntax, path of roms, path of snaps)

Would be a pretty amazing replacement
Thanks to everyone & cheers !
Old 19 May 2014, 21:19   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, luckily it already exists (FS-UAE Arcade is a cut-down version of FS Game Center - the latter is not restricted to Amiga).

Currently supported platforms in FS Game Center are:
  • Amiga (FS-UAE)
  • Amstrad CPC (MESS)
  • Arcade (MAME)
  • Atari 2600 (MESS)
  • Atari 5200 (MESS)
  • Atari 7800 (MESS)
  • Atari ST (Hatari)
  • CD32 (FS-UAE)
  • CDTV (FS-UAE)
  • Commodore 64 (Vice)
  • DOS (DOSBox)
  • Game Boy (Mednafen)
  • Game Boy Advance (Mednafen)
  • Game Boy Color (Mednafen)
  • Game Gear (Mednafen)
  • Lynx (Mednafen)
  • Master System (Mednafen)
  • Mega Drive (Mednafen)
  • Nintendo (Mednafen)
  • Super Nintendo (Mednafen)
  • Turbografx-16 (Mednafen)
  • ZX Spectrum (MESS)

The advantages of using the emulators through FS Game Center is the same as when you use FS-UAE with FS-UAE Arcade:
  • Joysticks/gamepads are automatically configured correctly for the platform/emulator.
  • No setup needed, the emulator is automatically configured by FS Game Center.
  • Saved games are stored in a common location regardless of the emulator.
For best integration, the emulators have been patched slightly (*). There's a fs-mednafen package, fs-vice, fs-hatari, etc). There's no on-screen UI like in FS-UAE. The patches are related to seamless fullscreen support, common keyboard shortcuts, or other features needed for a nice experience. For example, MESS is patched so FS Game Center can automatically type the correct load command to load Amstrad CPC games from floppy disk.

Right now it only integrates with the online database, just like FS-UAE Arcade. The full online database does not yet have a name, but is currently found at http://games.fengestad.no/.

(*) FS Game Center does not *require* patched emulators, but the experience is enhanced when using them.

There's no official release of FS Game Center yet though, but there are builds available I can get back to you with more information.
Old 20 May 2014, 07:33   #3
amigafreak68k

Old 21 May 2014, 21:03   #4
yesplease

Cool like I like the commodore64.
Old 21 May 2014, 22:40   #5
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Arcade (MAME) only for saucy in dev repo... can you add 14.04 trusty plz ?

thx
Old 23 May 2014, 12:24   #6
torturedutopian

Oh, that sounds great !

In my case, apart from MAME, I also use MESS for most systems, as I can use the same set of effects. There is a pixel shaders effect usable in MAME / MESS that "simulates" the look of CRT screen, and it is really really nice ! See here (old version) : http://www.mameau.com/mame-glsl-shaders-setup/ (other available from sdlmame support forum)

Also I made my own MAME build which support the unofficial hiscore.dat file in order to save highscores.

So, would it be possible to use those in your frontend ?

Are there different views available ? (showing more games at the same times, or mixing all emulators ?)

Thanks again, that's great work and very exciting

PS : also, the reicast emulator will be available pretty soon (Dreamcast) and, Visual Pinball has been working under WINE for a couple of revision ! So, that will be quite a lot of potentially emulated systems under Linux

PPS : I noticed that NES emulation under MESS also emulated faded / washed-out colours. Along with the CRT filter, it looks incredibly old, but cool
Old 27 November 2014, 17:17   #7
ARTHUR071169

FS UAE Arcade - other platforms?

This pertains specifically to FS UAE Arcade. (not sure if There is a specific topic for this, as it is really part of the FS UAE releases).

I am happily jumping ship from the Gamebase series of frontends for assorted emulators.
The FS UAE Arcade launcher looks fabulous on my big telly, and I was wondering if there are any plans (a timeline at least) to allow inclusion of other Emulators/platforms?
I see that the (I run portable for convenience) Arcade launcher already has a ton of dedicated icons for other platforms, so the design is there.
If there is a timeline, and given that not all platforms have such a structured online database as the Amiga, will it be possible to 'import' from a gamebase setup? This already has config info where needed, cover art, supplemental info (manuals, pdfs etc).

I was going to buy the Repton5, but having read up on it I think I will instead build a Media PC specifically for FS UAE (arcade) and other platforms as and when it/they are supported. I would like to browse and launch my console games from that.

I love the fact that I am now playing my Amiga collection again, in no small part FS UAE.
Regards,
Arthur.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 29 November 2014 at 17:08.
Old 12 January 2015, 10:05   #8
arthur

Just a bump to ensure it is still on the development list.

I recently tried Romshelf, but it is soooo fiddly to use systems that have (for example) ISO's, IE Sega CD etc).
Also the front end looks nothing near as nice as FS-UAE Arcade. In particular, on a large screen TV
Speaking entirely selfishly, the next systems I would like incorporated are SNES and Megadrive/Genesis.

If it were possible to run an 'import' against an existing GB database, and ask for locations of Roms, screenshots, boxart etc?

I now have a laptop with HDMI connected to my spare TV in the game room so I can enjoy Amiga gaming goodness when the Large TV is out of commission (the Wife).
Games never looked so crisp and clear before.

Old 20 February 2015, 08:49   #9
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

I too am interested in knowing how to get other emulators to work with FS-UAE, on the Windows version.
Old 04 June 2015, 17:03   #10
ARTHUR071169

Bumpity Bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur View Post
Just a bump to ensure it is still on the development list.

I recently tried Romshelf, but it is soooo fiddly to use systems that have (for example) ISO's, IE Sega CD etc).
Also the front end looks nothing near as nice as FS-UAE Arcade. In particular, on a large screen TV
Speaking entirely selfishly, the next systems I would like incorporated are SNES and Megadrive/Genesis.

If it were possible to run an 'import' against an existing GB database, and ask for locations of Roms, screenshots, boxart etc?

I now have a laptop with HDMI connected to my spare TV in the game room so I can enjoy Amiga gaming goodness when the Large TV is out of commission (the Wife).
Games never looked so crisp and clear before.
Old 05 June 2015, 15:45   #11
ARTHUR071169

Have just installed (ok, unpacked) the portable version of 2.5.30dev.
Lovely, as is now allows the arcade launcher to once again work correctly.
is there an link to a document on how to get the CD32 part of this functioning? If it is only a 'placeholder' feature it would be good to know.
As always, I really appreciate the efforts that all put into this project.

Arthur.
Old 06 August 2015, 17:30   #12
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTHUR071169 View Post
The FS UAE Arcade launcher looks fabulous on my big telly, and I was wondering if there are any plans (a timeline at least) to allow inclusion of other Emulators/platforms?
Yes, this project is still alive, and working on my computers I haven't got a timeline, Perhaps a test version, soon... (Though another "problem" is that eab.abime.net probably isn't the right place for non-Amiga discussions...hmm...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTHUR071169 View Post
is there an link to a document on how to get the CD32 part of this functioning? If it is only a 'placeholder' feature it would be good to know.
CD32 games should work the same way as regular Amiga games. If you have recognized disc images, the games will appear automatically.
Old 09 December 2015, 16:59   #13
Zeraphine

I hope we see someday a "FS-VICE" for Commodore C64 or something in this direction ^^

Is there another place to discuss this? ;-)

Good work!
Old 13 March 2016, 10:49   #14
ARTHUR071169

Any update on allowing other systems to be launched from the same front end?

Regards,
Arthur.
PS, the latest version of FS-uae rocks!
Old 13 March 2016, 15:20   #15
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@ARTHUR071169 Actually, yes. You can drop by #FS-UAE on irc.abime.net if you want to beta-test... (http://fs-uae.net/irc)
Old 01 April 2016, 00:20   #16
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeraphine View Post
I hope we see someday a "FS-VICE" for Commodore C64 or something in this direction ^^
There is actually an Vice-FS plugin for Launcher/Arcade, which can be used together with the online game database at http://openretro.org/browse/c64. Please consider dropping by #FS-UAE on irc.abime.net if you want to try

Quote:
Is there another place to discuss this? ;-)
Good question, ... it is kind of off-topic here, since it isn't related to FS-UAE itself, nor Amiga. So other than IRC, there isn't really any good place to discuss this. Perhaps a thread in the OT - Gaming sub-forum at http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=98...
Old 17 April 2016, 17:27   #17
Zeraphine

I have tried it, í see the games in the list, but every time i start a C64 game, the plugin crashes! I have tried both plugins for Vice in 64bit and 32 bit!
Old 18 April 2016, 13:47   #18
TEOL

Is it possible you can add another section in here containing a zip file for the rest of the systems Frode?

https://fs-uae.net/download#plugins

I find the current way too completcated to find the plugins as they could be anywhere as all I can see are the links to the game boxes with no such plugins so I feel it's best to put it in the official plugins section to decomplecate things. Is it possible you could add the packs to the plugins section for us?

VICE is also multisystem so I feel we need the rest of the 8-Bit databases open as well to accomidate for the rest of the FS-VICE plugin other than the C64 as well.

Still it's a sweet project the multi system expansion thing for FS-UAE is and things could only get better for the future as long as the plugins themselves are made easy to find on the actual FS Homepage with the other plugins in the future as I can't even find FS-VICE so if they are on there with 2 major plugins in a minor systems addons plugins section of the page we can add them as we wish and it's easy to find too.

Edit: Found them. They are in the devel directory on the server but not on the devel site section.

Last edited by TEOL; 18 April 2016 at 14:27.
Old 18 April 2016, 23:04   #19
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I have tried it, í see the games in the list, but every time i start a C64 game, the plugin crashes! I have tried both plugins for Vice in 64bit and 32 bit!
Hi, if this is on Windows, I have had a similar report from another test user (on one of his computers). Can you send system information (something like this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7) to frode@fs-uae.net?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEOL View Post
Is it possible you can add another section in here containing a zip file for the rest of the systems Frode? ... Edit: Found them. They are in the devel directory on the server but not on the devel site section.
Well, the reason they are not listed on the download page is that this functionality is not official yet

But, the cat is somewhat out of the bag, so I can at least link to a README with more information: https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fsgs. This page also contains links to a portable dev version with all plugins pre-installed.
Old 25 May 2016, 17:29   #20
Zeraphine

Thanks Frode, sorry that i am answering so late, i was away ^^

The C64 Plugin is working under my gaming PC with no problems, only problem is the very bad emulator "Win Vice". We (Forum Members of Forum64 in Germany) have a few Problems with Sound stuttering, because of bad syncing (rendering issues) in 50 HZ mode.

So the question here is: Can you use other emulators (Micro64, Hoxs...) for FS UAE Plugin?

Edit: I will send you tomorrow the log file from my Samsung laptop.