English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 December 2010, 04:45   #21
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK98 View Post
One of the reasons whilst i asked the quest,today i sat taking caps off the A1200 *the method of using a gentle twist with pliers does work!*,and thought of recapping, and then in future of having to replace something else on the same board like a comp chip just put me off and make me rather use emulation on a modern pc.
It's not hard, but it's very risky if you have no experience with it!

You'll need:
- Heatgun
- Aluminium foil
- Soldering iron with a small pointy tip
- Soldering tin (preferrably with lead)
- Pair of tweezers that can open wide
- SMD flux
- Desoldering wick

LET'S START!
Apply flux to all the PLCC pins. Wrap the PCB with two layers (or more) of aluminium foil and uncover the PLCC, this prevents other components to overheat and eventually melt (!). Pre-warm the PCB (just sweep around even though the aluminium foil is there) with the heatgun on low temp, then focus in circles on the PLCC for a while. You might need to switch to a higher temp for a short period of time, but only when the chip is heated up.
Then fast as a mouse take a pair of tweezers and lift up the chip, it is supposed to lift up with ease. If it didn't lift up, then don't force it up. Start over again with the heatgun. Lateron use isopropanol alcohol to clean the flux residue, desoldering wick to remove the solder residue and use isopropanol again to clean up. Ready for new chip!

Soldering the new chip is more hard.. But a working solution is to add flux to all the solder pads then allign the PLCC correctly (have the dot mark in mind, align pin 1 with the "pin 1" icon on the PCB). When the pins match up to the pads, carefully add solder to each "corner" pin... Now that the PLCC is not moving, add some more flux to the rest of the pins and start soldering. Warm the pins and add solder to it, the solder with hopefully travel to the pads as well. If you get way too much, try to drag the soldering iron on the pins to remove the excessive solder. Don't be too fast or stressed - it's not hard at all as long as you're calm.

When it's done, look closely for any eventual shorts or non-contacts. Use isopropanol again.

Good as new

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 14 December 2010 at 04:57.
Old 14 December 2010, 08:14   #22
Jope
-

Since desoldering PLCCs is such a pain, I warmly recommend soldering in a socket instead. Sometimes you may have to move some capacitors or other components, the Amiga motherboards are often a bit tightly spaced around the chips.

Of course if it's a chip that will eventually take a clip on upgrade, then you have no option but to solder the new part onto the motherboard.
Old 14 December 2010, 08:15   #23
Gordon
Settler

As long as im buried before my Amigas im not to fussed how long they last.
Old 14 December 2010, 09:23   #24
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigafanboi View Post
I think 512kb may do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
LMFAO!!!

with room to spare =D
You are probably right!

Anyways the hardware of the 1980's/early 1990s were built at a time when electronics such as computers/audio were manufactured to a high standard. To get the same these days you'd pay a fortune for.
Old 14 December 2010, 17:47   #25
Raid27
I have a joystick

Yeh sad truth is they will all die. In 20 years the Xboxes and PS3's will end up the same way. Cest la vie buddy!
Old 14 December 2010, 18:02   #26
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I can't see xboxes and PS3s lasting 20 years
Old 15 December 2010, 17:21   #27
Bronko
Remember: Shoot or die!

Send a message via ICQ to Bronko
Yeah, even my Gamecube died, and there I thought, Nintendo still stands for quality.... But no, it's relative again, to the competition. -.-
Old 15 December 2010, 17:23   #28
JACK98

I dont think anything is built to last.No matter how much effort put into storage and time.I guess its like the human body.Slowly decays with time...

Last edited by JACK98; 15 July 2014 at 23:11.
Old 15 December 2010, 19:12   #29
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Even when we build something to last it won't last for ever (yet). As for the human body, this simply dies because evolution didn't select for eternal youth (not relevant for life here: Just procreate and die ), but that can be changed. On a similar note, our beloved Amiga can be kept alive by reincarnating it by building new ones in FPGA, which the Minimig has shown is perfectly feasible.
Old 15 December 2010, 20:09   #30
JACK98

This is what stumps me,someone could put them into storage and not bother with them.Then power them on once a year.surely that's bad too for the components?.

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 17:43.
Old 15 December 2010, 20:32   #31
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
but that can be changed.
How? Is this like Indiana Jones when he drinks from that cup which can make you live forever?

If I'm immortal would that mean I cantake part in Mortal Kombat?
Old 15 December 2010, 21:15   #32
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
How?
Not yet, but it's just chemistry With computers it can already be done, so it ultimately doesn't matter much if they die one day.