English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 May 2022, 23:38   #21
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I don't doubt it but it's too political and woke for its own good and any game that focuses on revenge (rather than parental love in the first one) but also requires you to empathise with the main character is going to lead to quite a harrowing game IMHO!
What are you talking about, there's nothing political in that game. Did I miss the "calculate the optimal tax deduction" DLC?
Old 06 May 2022, 19:28   #22
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Starcraft
Diablo 2
Old 06 May 2022, 19:31   #23
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Starcraft
Diablo 2
Yes, those games made history but they aren't new.
Old 07 May 2022, 02:17   #24
kriz

Elden Ring is a big one now, looks real cool also.. Also check https://store.steampowered.com/searc...ter=topsellers for latest big games people are playing..
Old 07 May 2022, 02:22   #25
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Apparently in that new big game, people get ban for wearing/getting underwear?!

Must be some special underwear.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/el...from-the-game/
Old 07 May 2022, 04:11   #26
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Elden Ring is a big one now, looks real cool also.. Also check https://store.steampowered.com/searc...ter=topsellers for latest big games people are playing..
elden ring is perhaps the best exemple and i think about red dead redemption 2 too. Those 2 will perhaps stay in history.
Old 07 May 2022, 11:27   #27
acidbottle

Zelda: BOTW for sure, one of the best games ever made with a very broad audience.

Been very few standout games for me in the past decade, I even struggled to get back into Witcher 3 after while.

CP2077 made history for all the wrong reasons, turned out good but the boat had sailed, same with No Mans Sky.

i'll add Death Stranding to the list to, its a bit marmite, but phenomenal nonetheless.
Old 07 May 2022, 13:10   #28
defor

It is too soon to judge if your criterion is "games made in 2019-2021". A game must be given a time to build "a cult following". In order to "do the history" you must ensure that something similar will not be achieved for some period of time. Otherwise some better, nicer, more complex variation will overshadow the original.
From my perspective of the player mainly interested in Japanese productions, I see the strong impact on the industry by these (relatively) recent games:
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Persona 5.
If you'd allow me to look further back I can easily pick almost half of Nintendo's IPs: Animal Crossing, Wii Sports, Smash Bros, ...
A few years back, Dark Souls made a history (technically it should have been Demon's Souls but that game was locked to PS3 only) -- that game spawned the whole genre on its own.
I also would like to mention Fortnite which had (and is still having) a phenomenal influence on the whole gaming industry either directly by its game design, or indirectly by Epic's Unreal Engine.
Old 07 May 2022, 19:56   #29
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
CP2077 made history for all the wrong reasons, turned out good but the boat had sailed, same with No Mans Sky.

I'm pretty sure that people from the future will look on the silly mass-hysteria surrounding these games (and some other instances of unwarranted review bombing) and just shake their heads at the silliness of it all.

CP2077 was always pretty decent on PC, from day one, but it's overall not that groundbreaking a game to "make history", at least history of real gaming, not some Twitter drama. NMS on the other hand is innovative and fresh enough to warrant a mention, surely one of the most important games of the last decade.
Old 07 May 2022, 21:25   #30
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I'm pretty sure that people from the future will look on the silly mass-hysteria surrounding these games (and some other instances of unwarranted review bombing) and just shake their heads at the silliness of it all.
You are making the assumption that people from the future are going to be better people than we are. Is that a trend we've been following lately?
Old 08 May 2022, 01:53   #31
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I don't doubt it but it's too political and woke for its own good and any game that focuses on revenge (rather than parental love in the first one) but also requires you to empathise with the main character is going to lead to quite a harrowing game IMHO!
For me, it was one of the first games that really messed with my loyalties to a character and it really challenged me. I ended up not empathetic towards the main character myself. It was harrowing for sure. Can’t wait for the series.
Old 09 May 2022, 01:21   #32
rare_j
Zone Friend

The first one had a powerful ending for sure, made my blood run cold.
I didn't enjoy the parts however that had the player character pitted against other survivors who seemed all too willing to offer themselves up as cannon fodder to provide yet another tedious firefight section of gameplay. They should have stuck to having the zombies as enemies, those parts were much better.
I decided to avoid the second one though, just seemed all too grim.
Old 09 May 2022, 09:26   #33
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Elden Ring
Old 09 May 2022, 13:55   #34
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Why so many votes for Elden Ring. It's a very good game, another winner in the line of FromSoft soulsies. Probably the favorite of many fans. But it's not exactly moving mountains, it's the usual trend of minor optimisations over the previous games. It takes the best parts of Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne and Sekiro and puts them to good use.

No, not a historic moment for me. Yet another good FromSoft game, I hope that they can keep the trend going but I'll be curious to see if they ever do a giant mech shooting game again just for funsies. That would be a historic moment.
Old 09 May 2022, 14:50   #35
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
Yes, those games made history but they aren't new.
Didn't read your original post
Old 09 May 2022, 22:41   #36
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Didn't read your original post
For one time that it isn't me.
Old 10 May 2022, 17:30   #37
BastyCDGS

Send a message via ICQ to BastyCDGS
I think "Red Dead Redemption 2" could doing history! I played this really amazing game just a few weeks ago. Incredible!

The game also supports modding and there is already plenty of fan made content available.
Old 10 May 2022, 23:48   #38
Mixel

No Man's Sky. Elden Ring.. TLOU2.. A bunch of the games mentioned as making history in the OP are just "older concepts with better presentation" - you don't have to have an entirely new concept or reinvent the wheel to make a historically important game.

I really think it's just a matter of nostalgia though, depending entirely on what you're exposed to, like, and see as important. Ask most people if they Turrican is a historically important game and they'll say "what's Turrican? It looks like a metroid clone?" lol.

PT was years ago now but that caused huge ripples - and that wasn't even a full game.
Old 18 May 2022, 21:07   #39
BeamCoder

Valheim

Non-202x games but I still think are new:
Social deduction games like Among Us, Dread Hunger(mixed rating on steam but somehow popular on china)
Battle Royale games like PUBG(PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, Apex Legends, Fornite, Fall Guys, etc.

Kind of old genre but did make history:
MOBA games: DOTA 2(Defense of the Ancients), LoL(League of Legends), etc.

Last edited by BeamCoder; 19 May 2022 at 19:24. Reason: Full name of games
Old 18 May 2022, 23:11   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Core Keeper is my contender this year.