English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 27 August 2020, 22:06   #641
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Aww, that's a wholesome feature. Nothing dies in the game, it just becomes invisible.
Old 28 August 2020, 10:23   #642
mrupp

One more bug I encountered:

If there's a potion and you kill the last enemy first and pick up the potion just afterwards, the bonus-collection starts but is aborted just after a few seconds while the game proceeds to the next level.

Not sure if pink is still doing bugfixes but thought I'd report it anyways...
Old 28 August 2020, 13:40   #643
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

will there be an official WHDLoad install?

I know some people will ask 'why?' , because i doubt there is anythng to fix/change, but there are good reasons.

The WHDload/LHA format is very useful as a single file '.rom' replacement for the Rapsberry Pi/Amiberry, FS-UAE etc for traditional console users.
Old 28 August 2020, 14:18   #644
funK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post

I know some people will ask 'why?' , because i doubt there is anythng to fix/change, but there are good reasons.

The WHDload/LHA format is very useful as a single file '.rom' replacement for the Rapsberry Pi/Amiberry, FS-UAE etc for traditional console users.
A WHDLoad install for all those awesome Tiny* games made by Pink would be very well welcomed, because on my expanded Amiga neither of them works when started from WB and I'm able to only play Tiny Invaders with the generic WHDLoad slave.
Old 28 August 2020, 15:07   #645
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

There are WHDLoad installs by TjLaZeR for the other two Tiny games, although they're hit-or-miss. (I can't get them to work at all under my 3.9 environment in WinUAE, for example, due to inability to init the display.) It would definitely be nice to have a proper install for Tiny Bobble, though.
Old 28 August 2020, 15:16   #646
DamienD
Banned

TjLaZeR usually sets NTSC, maybe that's your issue.
Old 28 August 2020, 15:29   #647
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Looking at the tooltypes on the icons, they're both PAL. I didn't have the PAL monitor in DEVS:Monitors, now corrected. This just brings a further issue though, where the games crash to shell as soon as I press anything, and all I can do is press F10 to return to my regular environment from WHDLoad.

Oh well, at least they work from floppy in the WinUAE configs I've set up for them, but it'd still be nice if I could play them from within my main 3.9 environment, and likewise for Tiny Bobble.
Old 28 August 2020, 15:54   #648
mrupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by funK View Post
A WHDLoad install for all those awesome Tiny* games made by Pink would be very well welcomed, because on my expanded Amiga neither of them works when started from WB and I'm able to only play Tiny Invaders with the generic WHDLoad slave.
I can only second that. On most of my Amigas, I boot into TinyLauncher (http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/TinyLauncher) directly or by pressing some mouse button before booting into Workbench. Perfect if you just want to have a quick game. And TinyLauncher (interesting name relation ) works with WHDLoad games only.
Old 28 August 2020, 16:00   #649
mrupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I'm waiting for a stable release so I can create a whdload version with cheat & also second button to jump
@jotd Are you still planning to to a WHDLoad version? That would be most excellent! And while you're at it , could you do a slave for TinyInvaders and TinyGalaga as well?
Old 28 August 2020, 21:24   #650
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post

I made a Generic install, in the zone. Works up to 030 and Vampire 2, but does not work on 040/060.
Old 28 August 2020, 21:26   #651
TjLaZer

ok how to you enable the CHEAT in the original version?
Old 28 August 2020, 22:30   #652
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
We don't care. Being able to play it on NTSC Amigas is very much wanted by us on this side of the pond! Can't wait to play it on my NTSC Amiga 1000!
Not trying to go too OT but dude, you're the only one this side of the pond (in this board) who insists on not switching to PAL or not getting an Amiga that can.
The Amiga scene exists mostly in Europe, for decades, and all the software that is worth anything comes out from that region for machines of that region. This is a fact of Amiga and not all games can be "fixed" to work on NTSC, it isn't that trivial.
Your options: get with the times and start maining a PAL Amiga, or make your own fixes if possible at all and hats off to you if you can, but this constant nagging for "NTSC fixes" gets a bit tiring and most people are already running the PAL Amigas they should everywhere in the world.
Old 28 August 2020, 22:58   #653
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
This is a fact of Amiga and not all games can be "fixed" to work on NTSC, it isn't that trivial.

If the planar displayed do not exceed NTSC height, then the fix isn't difficult. Typically what happens is there's a WAIT instruction where the Copper is waiting for the video beam counter reaches some PAL vertical beam position which will never happen on an NTSC machine. That value needs to be changed and the program can resume.
Old 28 August 2020, 22:59   #654
Bren McGuire

WOW this game is amazing, I already liked Tiny Galaga and Tiny Invaders, you have outdone yourself Pink!

Can't wait for the next Tiny game!
Old 28 August 2020, 23:14   #655
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Not trying to go too OT but dude, you're the only one this side of the pond (in this board) who insists on not switching to PAL or not getting an Amiga that can.
The Amiga scene exists mostly in Europe, for decades, and all the software that is worth anything comes out from that region for machines of that region. This is a fact of Amiga and not all games can be "fixed" to work on NTSC, it isn't that trivial.
Your options: get with the times and start maining a PAL Amiga, or make your own fixes if possible at all and hats off to you if you can, but this constant nagging for "NTSC fixes" gets a bit tiring and most people are already running the PAL Amigas they should everywhere in the world.
There are a lot more of us than you know. Plenty of us that would like to be able to run some of these games on NTSC too. So we do greatly appreciate it. What's wrong with asking? And what makes you think I don't have any that can do PAL? It's just nice to be able to run it on some of our systems, like an A1000. Or on systems that are hooked up to a NTSC TV set that cannot do PAL.

And trust me if I could code and hack, I would be the "NTSC fixing GOD" of the Amiga community. It is something that is welcomed by a lot of us on this side of the pond. The C64 community does the same thing and we greatly appreciate it. And I could care less if you get irritated, you can simply ignore my posts.
Old 28 August 2020, 23:26   #656
Amiga1992

This is for anotehr thread or whatever so will be the last I mention.
Quote:
What's wrong with asking?
You're incessantly nagging, not asking. And if it is so important to you, learn the skills necessary to do so, and do it yourself. What's your excuse NOT to learn? Far easier to bother others to do so, right?

If you actually bothered to learn, you would soon realize making some stuff run on NTSC is not as trivial as you make it seem.
Quote:
And what makes you think I don't have any that can do PAL
Nothing. Read my post again. I said you "insist on not switching to PAL" or not getting one that can.
Quote:
The C64 community does the same thing and we greatly appreciate it.
Again showing that you don't understand these platforms at all. It's not at all like on the C64, it's very different, how it works, and not trivial.

Your posts come out as very disrespectful. You always make it seem like "hey why did you not do the extra work for this to run on NTSC"? While you don't make anything yourself. I'm not irritated as much as I think this is a shitty attitude toward the people that actually make in 2020 software to run on your 35 years old computer. Does not reflect the gratitude you should have for the existence of people like Pink making software for Amiga in 2020
Old 28 August 2020, 23:36   #657
TjLaZer

I do understand completely and most stuff can be fixed to work on NTSC. I have actually submitted many WHDload tickets to get some games working on NTSC, and even some recent games. Sometimes it's an over sight by the programmer as they only use PAL and don't bother to test for NTSC. (and some of these WHDload installs that don't work on NTSC, run fine on the original disk.)

Yes I get that not every single PAL game can be made to run, ESPECIALLY IF IT USES THE FULL PAL SCREEN, ETC. And I wouldn't want to run such a game like that with a chopped off screen anyway! I will simply just run that on one of my many dozen Amiga computers that can do PAL. But if it's appropriate and able to run on NTSC, then why not? It just makes it even better because it is possible to be enjoyed by more people around the world.

And I am sorry if anyone thinks my posts come off as disrespectful. That is not the case at all! Simply asking if it can be made to work on NTSC is not "incisively nagging." Seems that is your opinion. In this post everyone was giving their inputs of bugs and fixes. Irregardless I will make sure I work on my tone. Have a good day!

Last edited by TjLaZer; 28 August 2020 at 23:48.
Old 28 August 2020, 23:53   #658
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
I made a Generic install, in the zone. Works up to 030 and Vampire 2, but does not work on 040/060.
I had heard - I don’t mean any disrespect, but the official patches get tied into the RetroPlay packs, and then wider database support etc etc. I’m the maintainer of the Amiberry whdload Database, and I wasn’t aware of your patches until now, and unofficial ones like Aladin’s Have been very difficult to support, as there is little continuity in the packages. Are yours on the EAB FTP also?

I hadn’t seen the comments from JOTD among the pages of replies , so my thanks to mrupp for quoting the reply today.
Old 29 August 2020, 00:33   #659
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Hungy Horace: Everything put in The Zone! also goes into the FTP automatically.
Old 29 August 2020, 10:41   #660
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
Hungy Horace: Everything put in The Zone! also goes into the FTP automatically.
Is it organised by user? I don’t want to drag off topic here, but without it being organised like the RetroPlay it can’t be sync’ed with the Amiberry database.

I won’t go into the details, as I think I have off topic’Ed enough here!