English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 14 October 2003, 22:59   #41
Bloodwych

Well Minuous, it all goes back to how the classicwb began - a creation made on winuae for my real A1200 with 3.0 ROMS after having a mammoth Aminet sesh.

I never really intended to make it into install packs from the beginning, but since I had the zips lying around after transferring them to my real Amiga I decided to put them up for others thanks to Rck.

Apart from my A1200 only having 3.0 ROMS, the reasons WB 3.0 continues to be used are:

1) It's a "ClassicWB" setup ie - the one that came with 99% of A1200's with 3.0 ROMS - in other words good old standard WB3.0 which many A1200 owners should have lying around and can therefore use legally.

2) I'm sure Rck wouldn't be happy hosting 3.9 setups on his server, plus not many people would have the install CDROM if I added copy protection (including me!)

3) WB 3.0, for the average Amiga user, is capable of just about doing everything - WHDload games, Archiving, transferring files. Those who require more from their Amiga usually spend time doing their own setups anyway - these ones are for peeps with little time to mess around learning and want their amiga up and running quickly.

4) I'm too lazy to do any more versions as this WB 3.0 setup is the best for me!!

5) WB 3.1 seemed to guru on me more than 3.0??? Possible due to not having 3.1 ROMS??? Or just my imagination........

6) The thing runs Scalos anyway, so speed differences are mute between versions.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 27 October 2003 at 16:55.
Old 17 October 2003, 17:35   #42
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
WOW Bloodwych :eek

Another Great looking Workbench Screen.

Keep them comming I am enjoying using them
Old 17 October 2003, 19:26   #43
msbranin

Personally I was impressed with the 3.9 look. anyway you could upload that?

Im running an amiga 120 with a 030 50 mhz processor and 32 megs of fastRam

Old 18 October 2003, 16:05   #44
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Bloodwych: do u use FBlit? It reduces CHIP-memory usage very much. Noticed your wb-pics with just 1,2 mb of chip left. It just hurts me to see precious chip-memory wasted like that :'( . Let me provide you with a link to FBlit should you need it or not: http://www.tpec.u-net.com/downloads.html
Old 18 October 2003, 18:37   #45
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by bamiga2002
Bloodwych: do u use FBlit? It reduces CHIP-memory usage very much. Noticed your wb-pics with just 1,2 mb of chip left. It just hurts me to see precious chip-memory wasted like that :'( . Let me provide you with a link to FBlit should you need it or not: http://www.tpec.u-net.com/downloads.html
Which is why I never wanted to use newicons, those screens were just an experiment. The workbench setups I provide currently have loads of chipram as you can see from the other shots.

Fblit was mentioned by yardster at the beginning of this thread. Problem is it makes the CPU do some of the blitter tasks and not really good for 020's. I'm afraid it also won't work with Scalos plus I don't like hardware hacks as they often cause compatibility, performance and stability probs. It took some persuasion to add the copper backgrounds and even they don't come without some issues.

I'll finish the newicon version and put it up for anyone interested. It'll still run the vast majority of WHDload games, but AGA titles will require the use of methods described in the readmes provided.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 27 October 2003 at 16:56.
Old 19 October 2003, 04:04   #46
gaterooze

THANKS, Bloodwych. I just downloaded & installed your Classic WB setup & it's fantastic.

I bought my first A1200 (030/10mb) a couple of months ago and the previous owner's setup was a weird, tacky hode-podge filled with junk. I really wanted to format the thing and start fresh, but I was scared I'd screw something up (drivers, etc).

Looking at your Classic WB all-in-one thang prompted me to finally muck around with the machine -- I pulled out an old 1/2 gig HD from a laptop which died years ago, and replaced the A1200's HD, keeping the old one aside as a backup. A bit of faffing about later and I got everything up & running sweetly with your setup -- so THANK YOU!

When I owned an A500 'back in the day' I never did much exploring of the OS, so it's been a really fun learning experience. With your setup, and my reg'd WHDLoad, it's time to start loading on all the good stuff...
Old 27 October 2003, 16:39   #47
Bloodwych

Thanks for the positive comments.

Akira just has to find some free time and do a ClassicWB 2.0 version. Paul, you should get yours up as well.

Ok peeps, the new ClassicWB is just about finished and originally named the ClassicWB ADV SP!!

The initial problem with performance and chipram has been dramatically reduced. In fact, even though it's in 64 colour screenmode and uses Newicons it doesn't use that much more than the 16 colour ClassicWB ADV! I've also realised that with a few simple clicks, you can reduce the colour depth to 8,4 hell even 2 colours for AGA games that require loads of chip and they run fine.

The vast majority of normal WHDload games have no problems at 64 colour depth as chipram is nearly always above 1.6MB, even with the newicons.

As well as the new version release, all the other versions have been brought up to speedl:

* VirusExecutor updated to 2.28
* Libs updated to recent versions
* WHDload updated to 16 (unregistered)
* Jst from 4.7 to 4.8 final
* Pic->Icon feature improved with optimum settings as default
* Updated help files
* Updated Copper addon packs, now even smaller (700K)
* Further optimisation of certain program settings
* A-assign system now works 100%. (see Tips & FAQ)
* SFS files updated to most recent version
* More redundant files removed
* Various other improvements and optimisations to icons and layout

Release date: TBA (Dialup user so when I get some free time)

Last edited by Bloodwych; 03 November 2003 at 22:30.
Old 27 October 2003, 16:43   #48
Bloodwych

As well as the pic posted earlier, here is another little sneek peek:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	classicwb_adv_sp_copper_v1(2).jpg
Views:	537
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	6101  
Old 27 October 2003, 17:05   #49
yadster

looks lovely
Old 27 October 2003, 17:07   #50
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Im going to have to transfer a nice workbench over to my machine tonight and check it out. I have plain old OS 3.0 desktop on mine now.
Old 27 October 2003, 17:12   #51
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Im going to have to transfer a nice workbench over to my machine tonight and check it out. I have plain old OS 3.0 desktop on mine now.
Thanks Yadster.

Unknown, the versions currently up are the older ones (although they still work well)! I will try and get these new ones upped as soon as possible, but with 56K it takes time. Hopefully I can get around someones house who has broadband.
Old 27 October 2003, 17:31   #52
Unknown_K

Ok let me know when they are up, I have to transfer the files via amiga explorer and that takes forever on serial.
Old 27 October 2003, 17:37   #53
yadster

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Ok let me know when they are up, I have to transfer the files via amiga explorer and that takes forever on serial.
It's worth it though
Old 03 November 2003, 22:25   #54
Bloodwych

Thanks again to Rck, the files are now available from the download page

Presentation on that page is A* as usual

Like to also thank Toni and crew as WinUAE, especially 822R7 (my current fav version), has performed flawlessly and been an invaluable tool in making these workbench setups.

Also, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'd like to thank the Amiga scene too for all the great apps, peeps. etc etc!!!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 16 December 2003 at 16:37.
Old 04 November 2003, 18:02   #55
msbranin

Awesome addition. I really Love your latest work. It went onto my Amiga 1200 last night flawlessly.

Old 05 November 2003, 01:09   #56
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Just gotta say that I've joined your fanclub, Bloodwych!

Your ClassicWB is SO good. And way more compatible than AIAB or OS3.9 (some WHDload games that did not work with them worked with YOUR setup, I don't know why).
Old 07 November 2003, 11:03   #57
Bloodwych

Thanks for the comments.
Old 19 November 2003, 08:21   #58
Unknown_K

I finally got off my ass and loaded your classicwb and the associated copper addon. Looks nice after I changed the default interlaced pal mode to 640x480 productivity (multisync mode).

It did take over an hour to transfer the zips over via serial, now Im going to get my network card setup so I can move some hdf files to it quicker.
Old 19 November 2003, 17:42   #59
Amiga1992

Aye, I found my unfinished 2.0 setup the other day. I will might finish it up this summer (winter to you north hemisphere loonies )
Old 19 November 2003, 20:06   #60
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I've just this week started using your setup Bloodwych, I'm very impressed, so little to do and sooooo easy to setup!

I'm gonna port it to my old A1200 soon!

CHEERS!