English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 September 2018, 04:38   #1
Laine

CD32 and a TF328 questions

been completely out of the Amiga scene except buying the Amiga forever (digital and psychical packages since version 3)

so anyways back in 2007 I got a CD32 off Ebay new inbox never opened
there was bidding wars on a bunch of them from China I got one that some how went with just me bidding.

"Commodore Amiga CD32 Console+Power Supply+Controls NEUF 1 26.50 EUR 26.50 EUR"

so with shipping I paid 45 Eur for it

It's been sitting doing nothing since I took it out of the box made sure it worked. Every so often I'd log in to ebay every so often(years) and check for the CD32 expansion SX-32 or 1 expansion(or anything else) well couple weeks ago something called a TF-328 showed up in like products never heard of it but wow cool I bought it. As I know now it was a TF328 Board a Kipper2k adaptor and a cf adapter. (pretty cool over all) been reading a ton to come up to speed.

so using winuae and my license for Cloanto disks (off my Amigaforever 7) I used their 3.1 adf images to install a CF card (using pfs3 as a file system because I read I should use it) not sure if I needed to use it but I did but now I read it might of works with out?.

now questions

1. on booting I get a Insert DF0: on a base install with nothing extra I assume it's cause the cd32 has no DF0? can I get rid of this?

2 Should I use the cloanto 3.1 or use the disks from my Amiga 4000D that's in storage? it has 3.1 roms and had 3.1 disks (will have to find them)

3. what do people consider goto software on an amiga now? this would be for both the cd32 (CF harddrive) and an amiga 4000/40 getting a CF card replacing it's harddrive

I've order a bunch of things for the 4000 and the cd32 in the last couple weeks (since buying the tf328) couple usb mouse adapters kits(x2), a Ry? MKII adapter for joysticks
A 2032 battery adapter for the 4000D
a Dual CF to IDE adapter for the 4k the tf328 came with one

The Amiga 4000 has an older XSurf card (version with an IDE interface on it)

been reading about a possible Amiga 0S3.1.2? and or the Cloanto 3.x(read a reference to it being crippleware?? would like the best option for the 4k for the internet what would be OS version you would use for the 4K? Or go to 3.9 (i'd have to buy a license don't think I have one with the cloato stuff I did buy a OS4.1 classic license last year but only after I found out it only works on a PPC Amiga not sure why they called it classic to me it meant 68k cpu)

have an Old Commodore 1960 Multi-scan but everything appears off to one side now and it's like 14" I think,
Been trying to find a Indivision Flicker fixer for the 4000D and cd32 , but then I read about the Amiga to Scart cable then use a scart to HDMI converter which would be better? Kids would like to play some of the older games the cd32 has composite out to the TV but with the TF328 it can use the same adapter as the 4000 same 15Khz signal I think?
I did order to 25amiga to scart cables and 2 scart to HDMI since I can't find a flixer fixer I did find a webpage that has a list of monitors that support 15Khz but finding one for sale now is hard

Sorry for the ramble, I don't expect to be spoon fed info but pointer to to places to read and I'll go read I just feel over welled with what to do first besides the HW changes I've said

Laine
Old 29 September 2018, 09:40   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

Do you have a riser board? probably. Those ones come with a 15Khz VGA output. Some modern monitors are able to display 15KHz VGA without any extra hardware. Like the ACER (I don't remember the ref not at home but I have one and it works, will post the reference later if noone does, got the reference from this forum, got it brand new around 150 euros!)

For the installs, I'd recommend to download classic workbench. It's legal (prompts you for the install disks). Perform the install on WinUAE on your CF card (you need a card reader), then boot your CD32 with it.

SCART to HDMI converters work, but the signal isn't too good unless you buy a very expensive one (once again the name slips my mind). Also need 5V power. Adds to the cumbersome installation.
Old 29 September 2018, 16:45   #3
Cobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
1. on booting I get a Insert DF0: on a base install with nothing extra I assume it's cause the cd32 has no DF0? can I get rid of this?
;comment out all the lines in your s/startup-sequence that mention df0 like
;addbufers df0:
Old 29 September 2018, 17:37   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Cloanto 3.x(read a reference to it being crippleware)??
Interesting, were did you read this?

TF328 with latest firmware is good. I had a couple of CF to SD adapters (with wifi built-in) that didn't work, but they do now, . Be nice if I can hack wifi adapter and enable all files and full ftp functions. Means I can read and write to drive without having to remove it from machine.
Old 29 September 2018, 18:18   #5
Laine

Jotd, have the riser and the cf adapter with the tf328, I'll look for a monitor that works I havn't tried the ones in the house I assumed the didn't work.

have a card reader on the PC done a couple base setup tinkering

Cobe: thanks I'll ;look at the startup-sequence

FOL: hmm read it when I was looking for Boingbags in a readme file

wifi cf card never heard of that beast now I'm interested going to go look, not sure what firmware I have in the tf328 I assume the latest I just bought it, wonder how I check it

Wife going out shopping I have a few hours to play around with out being interrupted
Old 29 September 2018, 18:35   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

@Laine: I'm at home now so I can share the reference: ACER K242HYL. No sound through HDMI but picture is correct direct from VGA riser output, no scandoubler needed. And less than 150 euros. That seem the best option provided you want to buy a monitor.

Else, get a 10 euro SCART =>HDMI, tested by me with pics here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...highlight=hdmi

VGA => HDMI probably does the same kind of okay job...
Old 29 September 2018, 18:51   #7
Laine

jotd: I ordered that Scart->HDMI or one that looks just like it just in case I can't find a monitor I'm going to try all the monitors in the house see what might work

edit removed mistaken info on the cf wifi adapter

Last edited by Laine; 30 September 2018 at 02:08.
Old 29 September 2018, 19:30   #8
Laine

Good new/bad news on the Monitor front.
Good news the only monitor that works in the house is an Asus VE247H it works and I have a test game (sim city)running on the 4000 screens look great mostly (wide).

Bad news it's from my wife computer, wonder if she will notice if I give her a different one.
Old 29 September 2018, 22:26   #9
Laine

sorry for taking this off topic I originally wanted OS suggestions then it meandered all over and into HW
Old 30 September 2018, 02:15   #10
Laine

FOL: I miss read what you had wrote (put to much hope and wow into it) so the CF->SD wifi works as a CF adapter and you hope to get the wifi working

When you said it was now working I thought the wifi was working and I was very excited.
Old 30 September 2018, 16:00   #11
Cobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Interesting, were did you read this?

TF328 with latest firmware is good. I had a couple of CF to SD adapters (with wifi built-in) that didn't work, but they do now, . Be nice if I can hack wifi adapter and enable all files and full ftp functions. Means I can read and write to drive without having to remove it from machine.
You got me interested. I know I had similar idea before but somehow I completely forgot about it.
Did you use ez share or similar wifi sd?
That means that your second card has to be fat32?
Can you rename lha to jpg and transfer it like that?
Old 01 October 2018, 10:11   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
You got me interested. I know I had similar idea before but somehow I completely forgot about it.
Did you use ez share or similar wifi sd?
That means that your second card has to be fat32?
Can you rename lha to jpg and transfer it like that?

Haven't had chance to play with it properly. Just tested to see if it worked.
I will check with android app as soon as I get chance. Renaming to .jpg will work, as others have done this. Apparently the SD adapter, is a SoC running as FTP server. Yes its an eZ Share one, been looking at others too.