English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 May 2019, 00:03   #1
larbob

Amiga 500 Kickstart 3.1 upgrade GVP A500-HD+ issue

After upgrading my Amiga 500 to KS 3.1, the Amiga works fine but it won’t boot from the disk in my GVP Impact Series II A500-HD+ or recognize it. I tried booting into GVP FastPrep as well as setting HDToolbox from the Workbench 3.1 install disk to gvpscsi.device but had no success either way.

It was working fine with Workbench 2.1 installed when I had Kickstart 2.0 in the Amiga 500.

Old 10 May 2019, 03:00   #2
scuzz

Have you got the sysinfo software. Just do a check to see if the scsi interface is being found. If it picks up the interface then there must be something wrong with the drive. If it doesn't find the GVP then there is a problem with the connection. Check the slot to make sure you haven't bent any of the internal connectors over. Is there any reaction from the 500 when unit fires up. I am assuming your power unit is working to the GVP. I recently had one fall over due to capacitor leak.

Also there should be a metal grounding to the GVP which sits in the slot. Metal grey plate.

You shouldn't need the device for the drive. HDToolbox should read the device and then you should format in the normal way. Never Low Levl from the Toolbox but do the fast format if you get the icon showing. You should also hear the drive spin up on the GVP when its switched on from the power supply to it. Normally you get a flicker of hard drive light when the A500 is powered up.

I have 3.1 running on an old XT 590 so its much the same and should work. Maybe a dodgy connection or you loosened something when removing the drive.

Good luck... by the way I wouldn't use Faastprep. Use the HDToolbox which comes with the install disk. I am assuming two mouse button down on boot doesn't reveal a drive letter for the GVP.

Does your 2.04/2.05 disk see the drive ?

PS I can generally tell the health of a GVP from the noise it makes when switched on and the activity if any from the lights. Also assume you have the switch set to Autoboot.

scuzz
Old 11 May 2019, 00:48   #3
larbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzz View Post
Have you got the sysinfo software. Just do a check to see if the scsi interface is being found. If it picks up the interface then there must be something wrong with the drive. If it doesn't find the GVP then there is a problem with the connection. Check the slot to make sure you haven't bent any of the internal connectors over. Is there any reaction from the 500 when unit fires up. I am assuming your power unit is working to the GVP. I recently had one fall over due to capacitor leak.

Also there should be a metal grounding to the GVP which sits in the slot. Metal grey plate.

You shouldn't need the device for the drive. HDToolbox should read the device and then you should format in the normal way. Never Low Levl from the Toolbox but do the fast format if you get the icon showing. You should also hear the drive spin up on the GVP when its switched on from the power supply to it. Normally you get a flicker of hard drive light when the A500 is powered up.

I have 3.1 running on an old XT 590 so its much the same and should work. Maybe a dodgy connection or you loosened something when removing the drive.

Good luck... by the way I wouldn't use Faastprep. Use the HDToolbox which comes with the install disk. I am assuming two mouse button down on boot doesn't reveal a drive letter for the GVP.

Does your 2.04/2.05 disk see the drive ?

PS I can generally tell the health of a GVP from the noise it makes when switched on and the activity if any from the lights. Also assume you have the switch set to Autoboot.

scuzz
The early boot menu doesn't show any disks besides df0.

The disk in the GVP is a working SCSI2SD.

I can see the GVP orange activity light flash when I issue BindDrivers from FastPrep. The activity light also flashes for a while upon powering up the Amiga, almost as if it's trying to find something to boot.

I don't have a bootable sysinfo disk but I guess I can try to set up WinUAE to make one. I'll also check connections and etc.

Old 12 May 2019, 20:57   #4
lesta_smsc

A bit of a long shot but what if you softkick back to the older ROM... it should detect HDD and then you'll know it's an issue with KS 3.1... I'm not sure if you have to add modules to support the side expansion because 3.1 never really came on A500. I'm not sure if 3.1.4 fixes this issue?