English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 09 October 2008, 00:58   #1
Port_H

Question How to use contents of 'Lords of Chaos' .adf save disk with WHDLoad?

I had previously played Lords of Chaos in WinUAE using one .adf copy of the game and also CHAOS Standard Disk.adf which i created and formatted (from within the game) to be able to save Wizards and savegames.
But now i have GameBase Amiga which is able to launch a WHDLoad version of the game. I wish to try this version and begin to save my progress on the Hard Drive rather than on a .adf file as before. However i want also to load a Wizard which I saved before on CHAOS Standard Disk.adf. How can i use contents of CHAOS Standard Disk.adf with the WHDLoad version of the game (launched from GameBase Amiga), or rather how do i transfer the data on CHAOS Standard Disk.adf to the proper hard drive folder?
Old 12 October 2008, 21:10   #2
haynor666
retro maniac

You can't. WHDLoad version uses files so unless you know how to rip directory file and wizards you must still play from adfs.
Old 12 October 2008, 21:37   #3
Marcuz

well in that case, if you know how the data is stored in the single savegame file, try starting gamebase whdload with a fresh game of Lord of Chaos and then save.

open both your savegame and adf with an Hex editor, then copy and paste your original savegame in the new one.

my explanation is vague, but in any case, if you are not handy with hex editing, it's better you are prepared to trials and errors anyway
Old 13 October 2008, 08:49   #4
haynor666
retro maniac

This might be hard for him Marco. Basically ripping dir file is easy but a bit harder are savegames.
Old 13 October 2008, 10:55   #5
Marcuz

you are right: i don't know the game, but i suggest this method only if the savegames have fixed length. still i would try
Old 13 October 2008, 10:56   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Maybe Port_H just uploads his disk and waits for someone to create a usable WHDLoad save
Old 28 October 2008, 15:01   #7
Port_H

Thank you guys for trying to help on this. However, i must say i decided to play this game using the .adf version of the game, and not to use the WHDload version anymore. Then i use a standard .adf to save the wizards, and to save the game state i use the WinUAE snapshot files rather then saving the game on .adf. I didn't see any advantage on using WHDload to play this game, most on the contrary, I only found disadvantages! The major one is that the game runs too fast on WHDload, I even can't scroll nearly smoothly through the game screen by moving the mouse! Also if I quit the WHDload game and later restart it from Gamebase, I'm not able to reload wizards nor savegames recorded on the disk directory, they seem like they are gone!
Now I have a few questions, things I'd like to know reguarding the game itself, but i prefer to start a new thread in case I decide to post them, as I think this is not the appropriate forum, this forum is for WHDload discussion.

Last edited by Port_H; 28 October 2008 at 15:09.
Old 28 October 2008, 15:13   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If you asked the guy who wrote the conversion there is a slim chance they might have been able to help.
Old 28 October 2008, 16:01   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_H View Post
Now I have a few questions, things I'd like to know reguarding the game itself, but i prefer to start a new thread in case I decide to post them, as I think this is not the appropriate forum, this forum is for WHDload discussion.
Sure go ahead I have played it a bit and maybe we'll find your answers
Old 28 October 2008, 16:09   #10
haynor666
retro maniac

Port H, have you tried options like NOCACHE ?
Old 28 October 2008, 17:14   #11
Port_H

I know nothing about any options or how to use them. I've never used WHDload, and didn't even bother to read documentation about it, so don't know what 'NOCACHE' is.
For now i'll just keep playing with .adf files, or at least when it comes to 'Lords of Chaos'. Anyway, I really don't think WHDload is worth using for this particular game. Unless someone tells me that the WHDload version also corrects game bugs, or what I consider to be game conception flaws or defects, like for instance: When you kill any enemy creature with your Wizard using a throwing weapon or a bow, you don't get double experience points, you get them only if you kill the creatures with the Wizard in a melee attack or using a killing spell. Also, if the enemy creatures die from a fatal wound caused by your Wizard or any of your summoned creatures you get 0 Exp. points! It sucks when you deal a good series of blows which even though were not sufficient to kill the enemy creature, leave it extremely close to death, then, as soon as you end that turn, it dies from the wound and you get 0 Exp. points!

Last edited by Port_H; 28 October 2008 at 17:42.
Old 28 October 2008, 17:16   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

That's the spirit.