English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 22 April 2002, 14:01   #1
harlequin

Reflections v3 (updates)

hi again,

when i bought my A3000, i also got the original package of "Reflections v3".

i didn't check the web, yet, but i would like to know if someone knows about updates for this program? an "extra" manual refers to the version 3.1 "shipping soon" ... :-)

i just wonder if anyone has any information about this program?

thank you

Last edited by harlequin; 22 April 2002 at 14:09.

Old 22 April 2002, 15:35   #2
enigma

1. I have no idea what this program is onto?

2. What is your avatar, anyway?

If someone replies maybe I can help you by outlining the most recent program on that category... for you

Old 22 April 2002, 16:54   #3
Pyromania

Reflections was a German 3D animation package. It looked very nice when Tobias Richter showed it to me at the Colone 95 fair (Big Amiga show in Germany).
Old 22 April 2002, 16:58   #4
enigma

I don't think Amiga can output as good as other PC software such as 3D Studio MAX, LightWave 3D, FormZ, MaYa ... but if you find sth I would love to see what it can produce

Maybe we can sell it to Spielberg
Did he create Monsters Inc. on an Amiga-Box?

Old 22 April 2002, 17:03   #5
harlequin

i am not sure, but wasn't some of the babylon 5 art done with amigas ?

actually i don't know much about this program, but i would like to fool a round a bit with it.

i still prefer povray ... ;-) ... and i know there are some "better" programs around, but those aren't in my price range. and i don't need all the stuff they offer.

Old 22 April 2002, 18:39   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

As I recall, ALL of the gfx on Babylon 5 was done on the Amiga.
Old 22 April 2002, 18:45   #7
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
As I recall, ALL of the gfx on Babylon 5 was done on the Amiga.
Yup. They had a big room full of A4000s and Video Toasters to crunch all the data. The 3D package they used was Lightwave 3D. Also Seaquest DSV used Amiga's/Video Toaster and Lightwave 3D.
Old 23 April 2002, 00:00   #8
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by enigma
I don't think Amiga can output as good as other PC software such as 3D Studio MAX, LightWave 3D, FormZ, MaYa ... but if you find sth I would love to see what it can produce

Maybe we can sell it to Spielberg
Did he create Monsters Inc. on an Amiga-Box?
Even the older Lightwave 4.0 or 5,0 on an Amiga with a Video Toaster card beats the pants on the output on 3D Studio Max. Lightwave is easier to learn and looks breathtaking. Anyone who buys a used Amiga Lightwave has the same tools that produced many TV shows like B5, Seaquest etc. Sure the latest version of Lightwave is better but if you are just learning 3D and what a cheap powerful program Lightwave is it, even better with a Toaster card. People that used to sell pools and had other less exciting jobs used this version of Lightwave to get a new job. Maya is a good package if you can afford it. It did have a recent price drop to $1995 though. I bet the price drop was because of Lightwave 3D 7.0 which is also this price. Maya used to cost $7500. Maya is one of the few 3D apps available for Linux, it is also avail for Mac OS X and Windows 2000 and of course SGI Irix.

Last edited by Pyromania; 23 April 2002 at 00:06.
Old 23 April 2002, 00:23   #9
oldpx

I totally agree. Lw kicks max's ass any day.

Old 23 April 2002, 00:25   #10
DPainter

It's nice to see again and again that Amiga has never died, especially in the multimedia world. A local ad paper here lists the following:
Quote:
Amiga 4000 Flyer/Toaster Oven System,72 gig video,2 gig audio,82 megs of Ram,Cyb '060,DPS TBCII,20'' Timm Monitor,Tons of software...$3,000
Old 23 April 2002, 00:47   #11
Djay
95th User

i know it maybe a dirty word, but there is still alot of "Atari Sts" used in the music industry, cos of built-in midi, just goes to show that retro can out perform modern hardware....

Old 23 April 2002, 01:10   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah. But I never figured that one out...just because the ST has built-in MIDI, it got all of this attention for audio. But a MIDI device costs, what...$10?!?
Old 23 April 2002, 07:32   #13
Pyromania

CDTV was the only Amiga with built in Midi if you just had to have it built in. Like Twist said it was a low cost add-on for other Amiga's. The Atari ST was given way to much attention over this.
Old 23 April 2002, 09:37   #14
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by s4murai
A special version of Maya has been released that can be downloaded for free.

And a MIDI-device might cost $10, but where the fuck could one find such a thing here at that time?
The free one is only a 30 day eval right? I think it stops working after 30 days. I always saw lots of 3rd party Midi add-ons for Amiga back in the day.
Old 23 April 2002, 15:35   #15
RetroMan

Well, I don´t have any Information about Reflections V3 or 3.1 but on Aminet you can download a Demo Version of V4 http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/aminet/a...ions4De.readme
Old 24 April 2002, 00:24   #16
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Yeah. But I never figured that one out...just because the ST has built-in MIDI, it got all of this attention for audio. But a MIDI device costs, what...$10?!?
Well, MIDI was less common and more expensive back in the Atari ST days. You also have to consider that it had Cubase, which was never ported to Amiga and other platforms despite rumours and promises that it would be. From what a few people have told me, for many old-time musos an Atari ST and Cubase still offers all the simplicity and power they need and want to make good music. I don't have a musical bone in my body, so I can't comment 8-)
Old 24 April 2002, 01:19   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

That is a good point about the ST having Cubase, but I just think having MIDI didn't give the ST any more of an advantage outside of saving someone the trouble of installing one (and how many normals users REALLY need it to where it needed to be a part of the machine?)

MIDI devices were not expensive during the ST days, so that part is wrong. And Cubase is on the PC (and probably Mac) now.
Old 24 April 2002, 01:23   #18
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Twistin'
I didn't say it was expensive or rare back then, just *more* expensive and *less* common than now ;-)