English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 November 2011, 22:07   #1
Justice

Install new version of WinUAE over old?

Hi, I just downloaded and installed the latest version of WinUAE into the same folder that an older version was in. Should I have uninstalled the older version before installing the latest one?

Also, are there any 'recommended' best settings for WinUAE?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23 November 2011, 22:53   #2
Ami_GFX

The default locations of the configuration files is stored in the registry. I have a separate folder from the program folder with my disk images and configuration files. Winuae is set to this folder with the "paths" option on the initial Winuae configuration panel. Whenever I download a new version, I get the zip file, unzip it and copy it to my program files folder and the first time I run it, it reads the location of the configuration files from the registry and it's ready to go.

I had to go back to version 2.320 from 2.330 because the new version doesn't work with the display settings I had--the native amiga modes were skewed and off center--and I couldn't find settings with the new version that worked. Having both versions in separete folders made it easy. No need to reinstall just update the link on my desktop.
Old 24 November 2011, 00:37   #3
Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_GFX View Post
The default locations of the configuration files is stored in the registry. I have a separate folder from the program folder with my disk images and configuration files. Winuae is set to this folder with the "paths" option on the initial Winuae configuration panel. Whenever I download a new version, I get the zip file, unzip it and copy it to my program files folder and the first time I run it, it reads the location of the configuration files from the registry and it's ready to go.

I had to go back to version 2.320 from 2.330 because the new version doesn't work with the display settings I had--the native amiga modes were skewed and off center--and I couldn't find settings with the new version that worked. Having both versions in separete folders made it easy. No need to reinstall just update the link on my desktop.
Sorry I'm just a layperson, not much of that makes any sense to me, but thanks anyway for your advice. I was able to get WinUAE working in conjuction with ClassicWB (I think it was called?) about 2 years ago and just recently came back to it and found a newer version available. I had it set up at the time so that I could just double click an icon on my desktop to load it.

So I downloaded and ran the installer program which seemed to install the latest version as that is what is currently being launched even off the old shortcut. I just need someone to tell me if I made an error and if it's safe to continue or if I need to delete everything and start over. I don't actually know much about computers or the terminology. The only thing I ever use computers for is playing games.
Old 24 November 2011, 00:37   #4
mr_magnell

I have many versions of WinUAE installed in the same folder, I just rename the "winuae.exe" file with the version number like "winuae 2.3.2.exe", "winuae 2.3.3.exe" etc...

It works without any problems...
Old 24 November 2011, 12:12   #5
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
I just need someone to tell me if I made an error and if it's safe to continue or if I need to delete everything and start over.
IF you used the installer and you have WinUAE installed in the Windows default program files folder, or pointed the installer to the same specific folder where WinUE is, it's all good. You've a upgraded version of WinUAE working.
Old 24 November 2011, 14:20   #6
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_magnell View Post
I have many versions of WinUAE installed in the same folder, I just rename the "winuae.exe" file with the version number like "winuae 2.3.2.exe", "winuae 2.3.3.exe" etc...

It works without any problems...
Hmmmm thats a clever way of doing it, Thanks for the tip!
Old 24 November 2011, 14:20   #7
Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
IF you used the installer and you have WinUAE installed in the Windows default program files folder, or pointed the installer to the same specific folder where WinUE is, it's all good. You've a upgraded version of WinUAE working.
Thank you, it seems to have worked fine.