English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 April 2023, 23:46   #21
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Not sure is there a need for open a new thread, maybe for now we can continue in this one.

New findings...

Tested with denise_win64_build_cc2c0dc:

MagicPack081.adf ... "RamJam - Cooper Slave" some problem when horizontal and diagonal bars mixes!
MWB-DemoCollectionDisk16.adf ... "MF-New Intro" problem!
Polarbears-Collection02.adf ... F3 First Movement by Wanton problem! Edit: Fixed in nightly!
Scoopex-RangerPack126.adf ... F3 small gltches on a vector objects!

(I'll put this also in The Zone)

In CLI mouse pointer at near bottom problem! Edit: Fixed in nightly!
ECS should support changes between PAL & NTSC from software!

Seems some problems reported before might also repeat in above new findings!

Ps.
Take as long as you need, I don't want to burden you or me with any speed obligations.

Last edited by amilo3438; 12 May 2023 at 21:07.
Old 29 April 2023, 20:37   #22
PiCiJi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438 View Post
Take as long as you need, I don't want to burden you or me with any speed obligations.
sure. when I start doing this, I open a new thread for fixes and further improvements.

Quote:
In CLI mouse pointer at near bottom problem!
ECS should support changes between PAL & NTSC from software!
In which software does the error occur?
Old 29 April 2023, 21:03   #23
jbl007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCiJi View Post
looks normal in Manjaro, will test Arch, first need more SSD's
current testing systems:
Linux: Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, Mint Mate, Endeavour
Endeavour is pretty much Arch plus some extras added. Should be the same behavior I guess.
Today I tested Denise on the Pi4/Manjaro (AARCH64). Runs perfectly fine without the gui glitch. Maybe Arch's GTK is a bit broken currently.

Performance on the Pi is really good. CPU load is distributed across all cores with max 50% on one core even in critical situations. Quite impressive I'd say...
Old 29 April 2023, 21:18   #24
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCiJi View Post
In which software does the error occur?
For example in any CLI window like in Workbench ... when move the mouse pointer somewhere near the bottom of the screen (or cca 10mm from the bottom) the mouse pointer glitches! (EDIT: If Interlace is disabled its fine!)(No, it still glitches)

ECS supports PAL and NTSC ... this can be noticable from any demo pack boot block that allows this changes!
Or from AmigaTestKit.adf = https://github.com/keirf/Amiga-Stuff/releases

I did some testing today also:

CFF-Golddisk02.adf ... <8> The Link Ultra Demo #1 = occasional glitches on screen! Edit: Fixed in nightly!
Crusaders-SelectorPack10.adf ... Partyinv. intro = choose topic with LMB and then RMB does not return to the main menu!

(In "The Zone")

Last edited by amilo3438; 08 May 2023 at 21:33. Reason: cca 10mm instead 10cm
Old 30 April 2023, 10:16   #25
rutra80

Nice!
Some annoyances after quick testing - integer scaling isn't integer, G-SYNC doesn't seem to work.
I'd also love DMS and encrypted ROM support.
Old 30 April 2023, 20:48   #26
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

For G-Sync/Freesync:

The old D3D9 needs exklusive fullscreen ticked, while OpenGL works fine with VRR in windowed/full window mode.

Integer scaling should work correct if Amiga -> Geometry -> CRT TV is enabled. If you must crop the border, then choose "Monitor" or "manually".

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 30 April 2023 at 20:58.
Old 30 April 2023, 22:01   #27
rutra80

I'm testing with interlacing - with OpenGL it's a bit better but still glitchy. D3D9 no matter the settings is visibly interfered by 60/120Hz of Windows host. Might be related to WDM. I'm on multimonitor where the other one is not variable refresh rate.

Also no matter the Geometry settings, scaling is not integer (some columns are doubled).
Old 30 April 2023, 22:11   #28
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

VRR should work without any problems. PiCiJi confirmed G-sync and i can confirm Freesync. I've only ticked "G-Syc/Freesync (VRR)", "Dynamic Rate control" and "Synchronize Video" is disabled. Audio driver = WASAPI exklusive. Also activate the FPS counter, the emulator needs a few seconds to match the original machine Hz output exactly.

I have no problems with integer scaling either. A selected shader with scanlines/mask looks perfect. It wouldn't align correctly without a proper integer scaling.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 30 April 2023 at 22:23.
Old 30 April 2023, 22:22   #29
PiCiJi

Quote:
integer scaling isn't integer
What do you expect from Integer Scaling?

The number of rows are integer multiples of the native resolution.
The native resolution depends on how much overscan the user has set. Integer scaling prevents scanlines from causing light/dark anomalies that result indirectly from unequal line spacing.

Native scaling also produces integer multiples of the horizontal resolution. However, this comes at the expense of the exact aspect ratio, as the pixels of a CRT are not square.

Quote:
G-SYNC doesn't seem to work
My crystal ball has become cloudy. Figuring out if the error is on your side or in the emulator takes some time.
checklist:

outside the emulator
1. enable G-Sync in Catalyst or Nvidia settings
2. set to max refresh rate (important)

in the emulator
1. set driver to openGL
2. activate G-Sync, disable vsync (menu: options)
3. set refresh rate to native in speed menu (status bar->first entry after Pause)

monitor OSD:
display the FPS. they have to move.

take a game with buttery smooth scrolling. There must be no micro stutters
even after several minutes. Otherwise, something is still bothering.
In addition, there must be no image tremors. Then there is something wrong with the frame pacing.

Quote:
I'd also love DMS and encrypted ROM support.
ok.

Last edited by PiCiJi; 30 April 2023 at 22:34.
Old 30 April 2023, 22:27   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Ah, and make sure that your VRR monitor is set to the highest available Hz output, e.g. 120, 144, 165 or 240 (that are the most common i think).

edit: Ok, PiCiJi was faster!
edit2: Well multi-monitor could be an issue too. But switching to "VRR monitor only" via windows option should fix it anyway.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 30 April 2023 at 22:36.
Old 30 April 2023, 22:36   #31
PiCiJi

Quote:
Also no matter the Geometry settings, scaling is not integer (some columns are doubled).
Integer scaling only multiplies the vertical resolution.
use native scaling.
Old 30 April 2023, 23:21   #32
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Just noticed something...
When in native scaling mode, if scanlines are enabled then full screen vertical resolution is 1/2 as high compared to when scanlines are disabled! (in CRT TV is fine)

Last edited by amilo3438; 30 April 2023 at 23:36.
Old 01 May 2023, 00:04   #33
rutra80

No hurry, you can ignore me whatsoever : )

Everything is set as you say, except Adaptive Sync which is enabled and grayed out so I can't disable it. I don't test with scrolling but as I said with INTERLACING, which has hiccups a couple of times a second. Monitor OSD jumps like crazy between 50-120 fps with values over 100 when hiccup occurs.

I attach screenshot of integer scaling problem - you can see it on the grid of Colors slider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	integer.png
Views:	91
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	78810  
Old 01 May 2023, 00:33   #34
AMIGASYSTEM

Hi amilo, good job, I noticed that you use very old AROS ROMs, you can find the most recent ones in the most recent build, here:

https://build.axrt.org/download/builds/AROS-M68K/

The newer AROS ROMs have a more advanced "Amiga Early Startup Control", by the way on Denise how do you get the "Amiga Early Startup Control", I tried to do the Resets and hold down the Mouse keys, but "Amiga Early Startup Control" does not appear.
Old 01 May 2023, 00:50   #35
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutra80 View Post
No hurry, you can ignore me whatsoever : )

Everything is set as you say, except Adaptive Sync which is enabled and grayed out so I can't disable it. I don't test with scrolling but as I said with INTERLACING, which has hiccups a couple of times a second. Monitor OSD jumps like crazy between 50-120 fps with values over 100 when hiccup occurs.

I attach screenshot of integer scaling problem - you can see it on the grid of Colors slider.

Your screenshot doesn't show any scaling issues, related to improper integer scaling, to me. Use bilinear filering, if some looks too odd for your eyes. Also tried the title screen of Great Giana Sisters, which is interlaced. VRR works as intended: it show pefectly nailed 50.000Hz. Which is normal in PAL interlaced. None Interlaced (mostly, depends on how it's programmed and used) PAL mode is nailed to 49.920Hz. My monitor OSD shows the same, 2560x1440p resolution in 165Hz (which is the monitor max Hz and mandatory for VRR to work here) with no changes once the emulator synced perfectly to the Amiga Hz ouput. Also make sure, that no kind of Vsync is enabled in your nVidia driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denise Integer Scaling.png
Views:	73
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	78811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Giana Sisters Interlaced title screen in perfect 50.000Hz.png
Views:	76
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	78812  

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 May 2023 at 02:50.
Old 01 May 2023, 09:27   #36
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Hi amilo, good job, I noticed that you use very old AROS ROMs, you can find the most recent ones in the most recent build, here:

https://build.axrt.org/download/builds/AROS-M68K/

The newer AROS ROMs have a more advanced "Amiga Early Startup Control", by the way on Denise how do you get the "Amiga Early Startup Control", I tried to do the Resets and hold down the Mouse keys, but "Amiga Early Startup Control" does not appear.
Thanks for the info but Iam not the author of the emu, its PiCiJi.
Iam just an occasional tester here.
Old 01 May 2023, 09:32   #37
PiCiJi

Quote:
ignore Adaptive Sync, only check VRR sync.
Help me understand, what does interlace have to do with VRR? What hiccups are you talking about, when looking at a still image? The power of VRR is clean scrolling at atypical refresh rates.
if the jumping is crazy, there is something wrong with the frame pacing. Make sure that the audio latency (Options -> Audio) is not greater than 30 ms and that the VRR checkbox is checked. Reduce the PAULA sample interval (Amiga -> Audio)

Quote:
I noticed that you use very old AROS ROMs, you can find the most recent ones in the most recent build, here:
thank you for the info

Quote:
I'd like to take a look at it myself, but WB 2.04 shows different grids.
Which Workbench version is this about?
Integer scaling only works in the vertical direction

Last edited by PiCiJi; 01 May 2023 at 10:28.
Old 01 May 2023, 10:41   #38
PiCiJi

Quote:
When in native scaling mode, if scanlines are enabled then full screen vertical resolution is 1/2 as high compared to when scanlines are disabled! (in CRT TV is fine)
Since the aspect ratio does not fit(*), native scaling is not intended for gaming or demo watching, but for developing software to see if the pixels/distances fit.
With native scaling, there is no built-in check to ensure that the multiples in the horizontal direction are equal to those in the vertical direction.
Simply change the image size and the emu fills the space available to it.
In your case size the window in vertical direction.

(*) a modern LED use square pixels. A CRT don't have pixel and whatever you call it, it's not square.
Old 01 May 2023, 11:50   #39
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Thanks. I'm also happy with the CRT-TV mode with full screen scan line. (once I set it up, I don't touch it anymore)

In addition...
I enabled "Preselect fullscreen resolution" 1920x1080@50 with exclusive fullscreen and all movements looks really smooth, as its possible. (even my monitor is only 60Hz, so no VRR.)
Just wondering what the hard/soft reset key combination when in exclusive full screen mode? (you don't have access to the menu there)

Last edited by amilo3438; 01 May 2023 at 12:45.
Old 01 May 2023, 14:12   #40
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Middle button followed by right click opens menu where you can exit full screen.