English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 08 March 2021, 19:03   #601
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
I’ll test it on the jukebox today. I think when I tried it last time I couldn’t get it to trigger at all but I was most likely doing it wrong.
Narrator: He was, indeed, doing it wrong.

I have no idea what my problem was last time because it's working fine now.

One feature I’d really like - (or possibly help figuring out a way to do it) is some way to swap out a level generated from a PNG’s png, keeping all the boxes, and maybe even block positions intact. I realise that’s probably a niche thing but if I do more hand drawn little stages i can see it being an issue. Once you’ve done the initial import the only way I know to manipulate it is by tweaking things in Tiled (so I export tile areas in aseprite and manually replace them in the tileset png, hehe.. so, not impossible, I can work with that, but a “replace level png” would be super convenient. Especially when you decide you want to extend a map by an entire room.
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're asking, however what's stoping you from loading your png inside tiled as a tileset and then just grab the whole thing and paste it into your map?
Old 08 March 2021, 20:04   #602
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're asking, however what's stoping you from loading your png inside tiled as a tileset and then just grab the whole thing and paste it into your map?
Thankyou so much,. I don't know why I hadn't worked that out. Previously when I've needed to replace the intro crawl thing I've just generated a new png based map and swapped the maps around by renaming and deleting the old one.

What you suggested works great. I need to learn a lot about Tiled I think.

Last edited by Mixel; 08 March 2021 at 20:28.
Old 08 March 2021, 20:18   #603
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

You're welcome
Btw note there's more than one ways to do intro stuff. F.e. for the crawl thing you could just make a big vertical map and then auto scroll it from codeblocks. Or you could make actual HAM animations and then set Scorpion to playback them.
Old 08 March 2021, 20:37   #604
Mixel

Technically the intro crawl is a big vertical map scrolled by codeblocks now, but just drawn as a big long canvas.. I might put holes in it so we can see copper or parallax in the gaps.

The idea of Anim5s is really interesting to me.. It is tempting to do a real intro sequence with animation but not in the short term, hehe. I might use Anim5 for my own little mixels lab (or whatever i decide to call myself, haha) logo.. Does it autocentre them or do I need to get the resolution exactly right? It should be fun experimenting. The cartoonyness of the graphics means any animated intro sequence might not need many colours.
Old 08 March 2021, 20:53   #605
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
The idea of Anim5s is really interesting to me.. It is tempting to do a real intro sequence with animation but not in the short term, hehe. I might use Anim5 for my own little mixels lab (or whatever i decide to call myself, haha) logo.. Does it autocentre them or do I need to get the resolution exactly right?
Not sure about that, but obviously sticking to your default resolution will do the trick. I did experiment with HAM anims many moons ago but nowadays I would skip it and preffer to do any sequences with the normal engine, anims, maps and actors instead (for ram reasons). I'd only consider it if I were to animate the entire screen.
Old 08 March 2021, 21:10   #606
earok

Tsak's suggestion of making a tileset out of the core level image is probably the best way to do it. It isn't a problem from a memory point of view to have a massive tileset - Scorpion's compiler generates optimized tilesets of visually unique tiles every time.

You would need to specific each and every solid tile on the entire map, but that might make it easier to implement invisible platforms and such.

---

Experimental update, asides from the up-front memory allocation, there's also a tweak to make it so that full screen panels use far less memory (they no longer have a separate front buffer / back buffer, rather that memory area is shared with the front buffer / back buffer for the main game).

I really should get back to parallax stuff...
Old 09 March 2021, 02:37   #607
Mixel

I’ve never tried full screen panels.. I think I may need to for something soon. Do they literally replace the whole screen or do they have transparency if you make them smaller than the screen?

I figured out why I had problem with interact events in the past, it’s because they don’t work when you’re in an overlap between a trigger and an interact event rectangle. I can work around that no problem, I was just doing things in a dumb way.

Good luck with the parallax, or whatever you’re working on.

The experimental update fixed a bunch of weird flash/glitch things that sometimes happened when swapping out the bottom panel repeatedly for me.
Old 09 March 2021, 03:07   #608
earok

By full screen panels, I mean whatever panel is assigned to the middle portion (just "set panel"). It isn't possible to display both the middle panel and the level simultaneously at all, they're primarily for title option menus, splash screens etc.

Good to hear it fixed a bug, though I honestly have no idea what could have fixed it in my recent changes! Memory allocation when swapping out the bottom panel is one of the few examples of memory allocation that I didn't touch.
Old 09 March 2021, 03:24   #609
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
By full screen panels, I mean whatever panel is assigned to the middle portion (just "set panel"). It isn't possible to display both the middle panel and the level simultaneously at all, they're primarily for title option menus, splash screens etc.
Ahh! Ok I’ll definitely be using them a lot shortly.

Quote:
Good to hear it fixed a bug, though I honestly have no idea what could have fixed it in my recent changes! Memory allocation when swapping out the bottom panel is one of the few examples of memory allocation that I didn't touch.
Peculiar, I don’t think I changed anything on my end either, you can see it in that video I recently put up where one of the bottom panels corrupts for a tiny moment. After I updated and I wasn’t able to replicate it again. I wonder if I hang around on the map for longer it gets worse or something, I’ll experiment tomorrow.
Old 10 March 2021, 12:54   #610
earok

Made a little more progress on parallax.

The restriction is that the background parallax layer is 32x wide and has no more than three unique colors per line. I may loosen that restriction a little to include black as a fourth color.

Stuff left to do, in rough order of priority:

- Support for 1-5BP (only 6BP is currently supported).
- Make it so that lines with only one color are just rendered with copper (like in Jim Power). It's a waste of DMA and Chip Memory to render those lines with sprites.
- Possibly: Add a second sprite element, like the blimp on SOTB.
- Possibly: Ability to scroll the parallax at a slower speed than the camera.
- Possibly: Ability to scroll slices of the background at different speeds.
- Possibly: Ability to add a foreground "pole" that scrolls faster than the camera
Old 10 March 2021, 13:58   #611
viddi

Love it, mate!!
Old 10 March 2021, 14:33   #612
Mixel

Quote:
Made a little more progress on parallax.
The restriction is that the background parallax layer is 32x wide and has no more than three unique colors per line. I may loosen that restriction a little to include black as a fourth color.
Am I right in thinking that those 3 colours don't have to correspond to ones in the palette at all?

The mind boggles trying to figure out the best way of making assets for this. Super exciting.
Old 10 March 2021, 15:50   #613
nikosidis

Whow!!

This is looking great. Gratz
Daemon Claw will be one of the best games ever for Amiga.
Old 10 March 2021, 20:23   #614
earok

Cheers guys

Quote:
Am I right in thinking that those 3 colours don't have to correspond to ones in the palette at all?

The mind boggles trying to figure out the best way of making assets for this. Super exciting.
The three colors take over palette slots 29, 30 and 31.

It's similar to configuring the copper sky except your image has to be exactly 32 pixels wide, with no more than 3 colours on any row (it'll give you an error if you have 4 or more colors on any one line).

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you have 4 or more colors on any one line it'll tell you what line you need to fix.
Old 10 March 2021, 20:31   #615
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Soon everybody will be able to create great looking Amiga games with this..
No excuses anymore, guys..
Old 10 March 2021, 21:07   #616
Mixel

Quote:
Cheers guys

The three colors take over palette slots 29, 30 and 31.

It's similar to configuring the copper sky except your image has to be exactly 32 pixels wide, with no more than 3 colours on any row (it'll give you an error if you have 4 or more colors on any one line).

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you have 4 or more colors on any one line it'll tell you what line you need to fix.
Oh! oh wow I get it now. I don't know why I assumed these effects were always a bunch of images slid along at different speeds not a single full height image sliced up (i guess that's what it looked like in layman's terms), oh man oh man.. This is going to be freaking incredible. shuffled colours around slightly in preparation and started making backdrops.

I'm thinking it'd actually be quite easy to repurpose the gradient images I made for copper skies as parallax images. Pro Motion seems made for the sort of stuff.
Old 11 March 2021, 23:04   #617
earok

A little more progress on the copper sky stuff.

Left is the display with the bitplanes turned off, right is the display with the bitplanes and the background turned off.

Over half (110/192 lines) of the background only use a single color, so there's no need to repeatedly reposition the sprites on those lines to cover the whole screen. Rather, just using a copper rainbow should be enough - Jim Power does this too.

I think in general, your game will perform better if the background parallax is limited to a thin strip of lines at the horizon, rather than a repeating fullscreen pattern.
Old 12 March 2021, 09:10   #618
Mixel

Quote:
Over half (110/192 lines) of the background only use a single color, so there's no need to repeatedly reposition the sprites on those lines to cover the whole screen. Rather, just using a copper rainbow should be enough - Jim Power does this too.

I think in general, your game will perform better if the background parallax is limited to a thin strip of lines at the horizon, rather than a repeating fullscreen pattern.
I’m experimenting/preparing for this and on the level I’m prepping for it’s amazing how much of a “full height” parallax bg would be obstructed by the ground 99% of the time anyway, so I can get away with way more than half the lines being just copper gradient. Looking at stuff like SOTB3 they have a tiny little parallax letterbox in the middle. I’m going to try about 60% of above the horizon and 5% of below it and see what happens. It will be really interesting to see how big the performance hit is..
Old 12 March 2021, 13:06   #619
earok

https://github.com/earok/scorpion-editor-experimental

Checked in parallax to experimental. Obviously at this point it's a "use at your own risk" sort of thing, it hasn't extensively been tested but it seems to work under 4BP/5BP/6BP on both OCS/ECS and AGA.

If you set a parallax image, and it doesn't conform (32x wide and max 3x colors per line), it should give you an error when you try to compile it.

Edit: It's also static parallax at this point, I *may* attempt to add scrolling slices before it goes into official.
Old 12 March 2021, 13:44   #620
Mixel

Well.. That worked! Making it fit the 3 colour per line limit was really fun! I just need to optimise my palette a bit now as I'm definitely going to want to permanently ditch the colours necessary for this to work.

First bug (?) When I pause, triggering a Say: command, the colours go fully wrong. Maybe it's swapping my EHB palette out with the outdated one on that panel.. That's fixed by updating all my panels to the new palette arrangement.

Two weird new bugs though.. Set Color seems to be broken now, doesn't do anything..

And I get this very odd behaviour from my electric Bugs

The code is; on dice roll spawn circle thing on actor (that clearly works). Circle thing's animation activates "zapvertdouble" on completion from the animation editor..

Now that's the weird part, it seems like it gets stuck doing half of it, as the circle would normally be destroyed much sooner. So far I haven't found other problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-12 124112.png
Views:	70
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	71251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-13 024424.png
Views:	26
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	71258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-13 024352.png
Views:	27
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	71259  

Last edited by Mixel; 13 March 2021 at 03:57.