English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 January 2010, 08:24   #1
RGB_Gamer

Just got an SX32 MKII - I have questions.

I got an SX32 MK2 recently. I am waiting on my CD32 NTSC console in the mail, and until I get everything up and running, I have questions:

1. Does the SX32 MK2 have a CPU/FPU and if not, can I add those?
2. what is the largest hard drive I can use ?
3. What amiga games (other than CD32/CDTV) can I run on here? Is there a way to configure the CD32/SX32 setup to just run games?
4. Do I need a mouse/keyboard to run amiga games on here?
5. how would I install games or the OS to the hard drive?

I did a lot of research on this, but I haven't really found too much. I am a total newcomer when it comes to the CD32/SX32 (partially because I am in the USA, where Amiga really wasn't popular, nor even spoken about all that much).

Thank you!
Old 29 January 2010, 08:50   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

1 - It will accept a 68882 (PGA) 25Mhz or 50Mhz FPU
2 - Any size, but without some patches you will only address the first 4 GB by default.
3 - Like 95 % of all Amiga games will run. Use WHDload software together with iGame for a good gaming setup.
4 - Some Amiga games will require you to use either a keyboard or/and a mouse. Of course, that depends on each particular game.
5 - You should use WinUAE, attach the Amiga harddrive to a PC and set WinUAE to recognize that drive and disable the safety check, so that you can format, install your AmigaOS and some games from within your PC.

Good luck!
Old 29 January 2010, 08:55   #3
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
2 - Any size, but without some patches you will only address the first 4 GB by default.
3 - Like 95 % of all Amiga games will run. Use WHDload software together with iGame for a good gaming setup.
4 - Some Amiga games will require you to use either a keyboard or/and a mouse. Of course, that depends on each particular game.
5 - You should use WinUAE, attach the Amiga harddrive to a PC and set WinUAE to recognize that drive and disable the safety check, so that you can format, install your AmigaOS and some games from within your PC.

Good luck!
Thank you for the suggestions!

a few more questions:

1. will amiga 500, 600, and 1200 games work ?
2. is a PGA or FPU necessary to run games?
3. do u know of a website that lists amiga games ? approximately how many games are there that could potentially run on my setup?
4. What's the latest AmigaOS that can run on my setup?

I have included a pic of my SX32 MKII. Where would I add the PGA/FPU?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07595.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	24101  
Old 29 January 2010, 09:16   #4
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

1. See answer to 3 in gulliver's post.
2. No, not at all. Only a handful of games and apps will take advantage of an FPU. Spend your money on more memory instead (if it hasn't already got the maximum).
3. HOL (Hall of Light)
4. Amiga OS3.1 would be best for your setup. OS3.9 will also work, but it will be slow and don't install the ROM update with BB2 (Boing Bag 2) or the CD32's CD drive won't work when booting from the hard disk.
Old 29 January 2010, 09:35   #5
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
1. See answer to 3 in gulliver's post.
2. No, not at all. Only a handful of games and apps will take advantage of an FPU. Spend your money on more memory instead (if it hasn't already got the maximum).
3. HOL (Hall of Light)
4. Amiga OS3.1 would be best for your setup. OS3.9 will also work, but it will be slow and don't install the ROM update with BB2 (Boing Bag 2) or the CD32's CD drive won't work when booting from the hard disk.
Thanks a lot. I already have 8mb which I believe is the max for the SX32. Thanks for the game list suggestion. I never heard of that site, but it seems to be the holy grail of amiga game lists (awesome that it has screen shots). I just wish there was a site like this for systems like NES, SNES, etc. You mention that doing the ROM update for BB2 will make the CD drive inoperable when booting from the HDD. Why would you need the CD drive when booting from HDD? When booting from HDD, you can also choose to boot a CD game?
Old 29 January 2010, 09:58   #6
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Why would you need the CD drive when booting from HDD? When booting from HDD, you can also choose to boot a CD game?
Basically, it acts just like a standard CD-ROM drive. Yes, you could boot games (although most CD32 games don't work unless booted straight from the CD) but the main use would be reading CDs such as CD-ROM games, cover CDs from Amiga magazines, demoscene CDs, Aminet CDs, etc.

Steve.
Old 29 January 2010, 10:11   #7
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Basically, it acts just like a standard CD-ROM drive. Yes, you could boot games (although most CD32 games don't work unless booted straight from the CD) but the main use would be reading CDs such as CD-ROM games, cover CDs from Amiga magazines, demoscene CDs, Aminet CDs, etc.

Steve.

That makes sense. Of course, I just want my setup strictly for gaming, so other than CD32 games, I doubt I will be reading CD's. Can CD32 games and other CD's be run from the HDD? I want to, if possible install a large 2.5" HDD like an 80gb or larger.
Old 29 January 2010, 11:15   #8
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB_Gamer View Post
Can CD32 games and other CD's be run from the HDD? I want to, if possible install a large 2.5" HDD like an 80gb or larger.
Quite a lot using WHDLoad - some info here:
http://www.whdload.de/cgi-bin/search...ds=cd32;page=1
Many CD games can be installed to the HDD - or copied and tricked to think they are still on CD.
Old 29 January 2010, 11:42   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
1. Does the SX32 MK2 have a CPU/FPU and if not, can I add those?
Does not have a CPU. No FPU by default but you you can add one.

I can see from the photograph that the FPU socket is not fitted on your board so realistically you cannot add one even if you wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB_Gamer
2. is a PGA or FPU necessary to run games?
Nope. Almost nothing at all uses it. Practically no games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guliver
You mean a "PLCC" not "PGA" but it doesn't matter cos his socket is not fitted.
Old 30 January 2010, 00:53   #10
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
DOOM will work on your CD32 with the SX32, as well as Day of the Tentacle, so give those a try once you get it set up. Don't even think about bothering with the unnecessary OS3.5/3.9, they'll only slow down your system and use too much RAM. OS3.1 is perfect, and I'd recommend downloading and installing ClassicWB or AmigaSys on your HDD (or Compact Flash card if you want faster, more reliable storage, you just need a cheap CF-IDE 44 pin adapter). Since you're running it on a CD32, WHDLoad will run all games without you needing to register, but if you're feeling generous it wouldn't hurt to register it anyway. Browse through Lemon Amiga ( www.lemonamiga.com ), have a look at all the games they have listed there and the comments left by others, then download all the ones you want from the WHDownload link under the "Possible Download Sites" section. You can burn a CD from a PC with Workbench and a disc full of games and load them up on the CD32, I find it easier to burn a CD to transfer files to the CD32 than pulling it apart and sticking the hard drive in a PC.

You should get a PC keyboard adapter and use a cheap PC keyboard if you want to use programs or games that require the keyboard. http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=228

You'd be best to get yourself an Amiga mouse or a mouse adapter too, just for the sheer amount of good mouse games you'll have access to. There's a small patch called JoyMouse which will let you use the control pad to move the pointer in Workbench though.

Download NeonLight's Workbench CD and test that out first, it's designed to run on standard CD32s but it should at least let you access your HDD so you can format it and install Workbench and things on it. http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=613893&postcount=59

You might also want to get yourself a serial null-modem cable, so you can hook up your SX32 to a PC and use it to transfer files or go online.
Old 30 January 2010, 01:43   #11
RGB_Gamer

Rebel-CD32,

awesome suggestions! Someone on another thread suggested (since I really only want to use the CD32/SX32 for games) that I install the iGame GUI. What keyboard/mice do you recommend with my setup?

I am still trying to find a CD32 system, and ones on ebay have ridiculous shipping charges (I am in the USA and most systems I find are in europe), and amigakit I believe is out of stock. Even though I plan to use my setup on an RGB monitor, people suggest I get a PAL system. As far as HDD storage, I wanted to get like an 80gb HDD since I hear there is a way to use HDD's larger than 4GB.

I was curious, is there an Amiga MOD player that I can install so I can listen to some Amiga MOD music? And can you play C64 games on an Amiga ?

Last edited by RGB_Gamer; 30 January 2010 at 01:51.
Old 30 January 2010, 11:50   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
What keyboard/mice do you recommend with my setup?
You'll need an Amiga Keyboard & mouse. Or expensive PC->Amiga adapters.

Quote:
I was curious, is there an Amiga MOD player that I can install so I can listen to some Amiga MOD music?
For what platform?

There is a web interface to Modland, a large mod repository, which converts the songs on the fly to OGG/MP3

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Special:Modland

Quote:
And can you play C64 games on an Amiga ?
Not without an emulator. Dunno if it would be very good on 14MHz 020 in CD32.
Old 31 January 2010, 01:43   #13
RGB_Gamer

Is this just not a MOD player for the Amiga without conversion? will any old amiga keyboard/mouse work or will it take a specific kind of keyboard/mouse? I have seen some keyboard adapters on ebay that are for 2000's, and some that are for 4000's and they don't look different
Old 31 January 2010, 01:52   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Is this just not a MOD player for the Amiga without conversion?
Did you try to click on the "Show ogg/MP3 recording links" button?

Quote:
will any old amiga keyboard/mouse work or will it take a specific kind of keyboard/mouse?
Mouse = Any Amiga mouse. (Or use a PC mouse with PS2->Amiga adapter such as Cocolino)
Keyboard = A3000/A4000 directly no adapter required. A2000 keyboard requires the adapter you mention. (Or use a PC keyboard with PS2->Amiga adapter such as Keyrah)

Last edited by alexh; 31 January 2010 at 02:00.
Old 31 January 2010, 01:59   #15
RGB_Gamer

I have an Amiga MOD collection offline and I was hoping to perhaps just burn a bunch to CD and play on the CD32 through some sort of MOD player. Thanks for the keyboard adapter suggestion

Last edited by RGB_Gamer; 31 January 2010 at 02:08.
Old 31 January 2010, 04:02   #16
Photon

Hm, Bay Area... is that near any of the starting strips in F/A-18 Interceptor???
Old 31 January 2010, 06:08   #17
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

RGB, just about any Amiga mod player will run on your CD32. EaglePlayer, HippoPlayer and DeliPlayer are probably the best ones to start with and should play just about any mod format with their various plugins and engines. Personally I prefer EaglePlayer for its GUI, and it plays all the mods I listen to.

Keep in mind that the CD32 has a pretty weak power supply which wasn't intended to power motorized expansions like hard drives, which is why many of us stick to using Compact Flash cards instead of hard drives these days. If you intend on keeping the hard drive, you might be best to get yourself a small ATX PSU and use an adapter like the one from Amiga Maniac, which will provide plenty of juice for anything else you want to add (like four daisy-chained floppy drives and a video digitiser, if you felt like it). You can get them here http://www.amigamaniac.com/atx_to_amiga.html
Old 31 January 2010, 06:37   #18
RGB_Gamer

Rebel-CD32,

thanks for the info. I do plan on getting a Compact Flash to IDE adapter, but will any adapter work or only specific ones? Also, I plan on using the VGA port on the SX32 with my multisync monitor, but what is the highest resolution I can get for games? Or maybe I should get a SCART RGB cable for this thing, but I was told on another forum that on some monitors, using RGB makes the picture kind of off centered or something

Also, my game archive is in .ADF format. How would I get these to work on a CD32/SX32/Compact Flash setup?

Last edited by RGB_Gamer; 31 January 2010 at 08:34.
Old 31 January 2010, 10:25   #19
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Unfortunately you can't run games through the VGA-out, other than some system friendly games (like DOOM) but to do that you'll need to be running in one of the Multisync modes, DBLPal or DBLNTSC, and that's a lot slower than PAL or NTSC. It works well enough for Workbench though. RGB will be the best if your monitor supports it. My SX32's RGB port doesn't work so I just use S-Video with a LCD TV for a rock solid display. The image is always a little off-center in games from any Amiga, but Workbench can be centered and increased in size to fit to the borders of the screen.

Any 44pin IDE CF adapter should work, but surely some don't. It's hit and miss, you are probably better off buying one from the same place someone else who uses it with their Amiga bought it from, or just take a chance since they're only a few dollars from China on eBay.

Unpacking all those ADFs to floppy disks and booting them up in an external floppy drive is going to be tedious. You're much better off re-downloading all your favourites pre-installed for WHDLoad from www.whdownload.com . Provided you have WHDLoad installed (use the CD32 version of WHDLoad) you can just load up any game from Workbench or from a custom menu, play them, and quit back to the menu or Workbench to choose another game when you're finished. It's quite easy compared to the old method of swapping disks, or even using UAE with ADFs.
Old 31 January 2010, 10:48   #20
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
Unfortunately you can't run games through the VGA-out, other than some system friendly games (like DOOM) but to do that you'll need to be running in one of the Multisync modes, DBLPal or DBLNTSC, and that's a lot slower than PAL or NTSC. It works well enough for Workbench though. RGB will be the best if your monitor supports it. My SX32's RGB port doesn't work so I just use S-Video with a LCD TV for a rock solid display. The image is always a little off-center in games from any Amiga, but Workbench can be centered and increased in size to fit to the borders of the screen.

Any 44pin IDE CF adapter should work, but surely some don't. It's hit and miss, you are probably better off buying one from the same place someone else who uses it with their Amiga bought it from, or just take a chance since they're only a few dollars from China on eBay.

Unpacking all those ADFs to floppy disks and booting them up in an external floppy drive is going to be tedious. You're much better off re-downloading all your favourites pre-installed for WHDLoad from www.whdownload.com . Provided you have WHDLoad installed (use the CD32 version of WHDLoad) you can just load up any game from Workbench or from a custom menu, play them, and quit back to the menu or Workbench to choose another game when you're finished. It's quite easy compared to the old method of swapping disks, or even using UAE with ADFs.
Yes, I have a multisync monitor that supports 15khz/31khz RGB via VGA, and I also have a custom 4-port SCART switcher that has a VGA connector on the end of it (which connects to my monitor) that I use with my other RGB capable game systems (NES, SNES, N64, etc). I plan to make my own Amiga to SCART cable , so I was wondering, will the RGB connector on the SX32 carry the audio? Or do I have to get the audio from the RCA jacks on the back of the CD32 itself? Or will a 23-pin Amiga RGB to VGA adapter work?

As far as WHDLoad, what custom menu do you reccommend (I really don't want to have to deal with the workbench interface)? I really just want to use this system strictly for gaming, and hopefully be able to just turn the system on and select games as easily as possible (hopefully through the controller on the CD32)?

I have been going here : http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/
And from there I have been downloading the Pre-installed WHDLoad packs. Do I also need the .lha files from http://www.whdload.de ?

Last edited by RGB_Gamer; 31 January 2010 at 12:04.