English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 June 2021, 05:42   #1
DarrenHD

Error 44 on write - Write error 44

Hi, can someone tell me what "Error 44" on write means? I'm getting it in HDToolbox when trying to save the file system details/partitions, and also with PFS3AIO when trying to copy files to SCSI devices.

Thanks
Darren
Old 12 June 2021, 11:19   #2
thomas

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node0646.html

Code:
#define	HFERR_SelTimeout	44	/* Select timed out */
Old 12 June 2021, 15:49   #3
DarrenHD

Thank you
Now I have to figure out why this is happening...
Old 12 June 2021, 18:22   #4
DarrenHD

OK, now I am getting Write error 45. I have adjusted the timeouts and Error 44 is gone, but now after copying a bunch of files between partitions eventually it will give me Error 45.

#define HFERR_BadStatus 45 /* status and/or sense error */

Not sure what that means...

Darren
Old 12 June 2021, 20:29   #5
thomas

It means the device (probably the HDD) returned a SCSI error. But you need the sense data from the device to know which error it was. This data is only available to the driver or to a program which uses direct SCSI commands. I guess you need to guess
Old 12 June 2021, 21:45   #6
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
It means the device (probably the HDD) returned a SCSI error. But you need the sense data from the device to know which error it was. This data is only available to the driver or to a program which uses direct SCSI commands. I guess you need to guess
Hmm. It's an IDE drive running off of an ACard. I'm trying different firmwares on the ACard now. It is a 160GB IDE drive. I will try another drive. I swapped the SCSI cable and it made no difference.

I've checked terminations and it should be all good.

External CDROM drive has an Active terminator. Daisy chained to a ZIP drive (external), not terminated, then the Cyberscsi controller (Auto termination as per manual), then the ACard with the IDE drive (Term power and Termination enabled).
Old 12 June 2021, 22:37   #7
DarrenHD

Update: ACard firmwares seem not to make a difference. Tried ACard firmwares 3.89, 3.82, 3.75. Still getting Error 45 on write to the hard drive. But I need to try another IDE drive...frustration!
Old 13 June 2021, 03:49   #8
DarrenHD

Attached the same IDE drive to the A4000 internal IDE and it works perfect.
Old 13 June 2021, 16:41   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Try without CDROM. You can see complete SCSI sense data in error requester if you use pfs3aio + direct scsi mode (which can be forced by using PDS\3 dostype).
Old 14 June 2021, 18:13   #10
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Try without CDROM. You can see complete SCSI sense data in error requester if you use pfs3aio + direct scsi mode (which can be forced by using PDS\3 dostype).
Thanks I will give that a try, but I am very puzzled by the inconsistent results I am getting.

Sometimes the SCSI will work perfectly. I can copy my entire sys: partition to the SCSI ZIP drive and I get no errors. I run MaxTransferTest program and it's successful.

Next power on I get write errors....it's driving me crazy. At this point I am suspecting flakey hardware. I checked the connection between the MK2 and the SCSI module - it looks good. I even cleaned it with isoprophyl alcohol, it looks very clean. It's pressed all the way down. I've changed SCSI cables...I've changed all SCSI modes (Sync/ASync, offsets, periods...), all errordelay or timeout settings in unitcontrol to see if a certain combination works. But no matter what I adjust I still get the write errors eventually. I can post some screenshots of the PFS3 error messages that come up...here is one (attached), it was an Error 44 when trying to format the partition on the ZIP drive. But I also get error 45 when trying to copy files to the ZIP drive and then eventually something about a LRU update failed, disk gets write protected...I can make photos of those errors.

The issue with disabling the CDROM drive is that the CDROM is the last device on the external SCSI chain and it has an Active Terminator. The ZIP drive has a Termination switch but I am not sure if it is just passive or active. I thought it would be best to have Active Termination on the end of the external SCSI chain. As per the CyberSCSI MK2 manual when only using external devices the Termination Jumper on the CyberSCSI module should be set to ON, which is what I have it set to. If I add an internal SCSI hard disk then I move that jumper to AUTO and the hard disk (on the ACARD) has Termination set to ON and Termination power also ON.

I'm not sure if you need to set Termination power to ON on the ACard or not, but I've tried it with and without and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyway, at the moment I am just trying to get a stable configuration with the external SCSI devices - not going to worry about internal SCSI drives yet. So I have the CDROM drive as the last external device, with an Active Terminator on it's final pass-thru connector. The ZIP drive is next, with Termination set to OFF. Then the MK2 SCSI module with Termination set to ON. Nothing on the internal chain. I am pretty sure that is the correct setup as far as termination goes.

For mask and max transfer, I have tried a bunch of different things, but at the moment I have mask 0xFFFFFFC (and I've tried 0xFFFFFFFF and 0x7FFFFFFC), and for MaxTransfer 0xFFFFFF. Doesn't seem to make the errors go away...

for "Reserved blocks at....", I've left the default of 2 but also tried 6, didn't seem to matter. For File System Block Size I usually use 512, but sometimes (with larger partitions) it is set to 4096. Sometimes I think it sets 4096 on it's own...or leaves it from a previous setting, like if I had FFS chosen before, and switch to PFS, maybe HDToolbox leaves 4096 there. I typically put 300 buffers on each partition and I am using PFS\03 as the File System with identifier 0x50465303.

I usually have pfs3aio and ffs 47.4 (from OS 3.2) in the RDB. I am not 100% clear how much space the RDB requires and where you specify that - is it in the "reserved blocks at...." section? (In HDToolbox).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pfs3error.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	72293  

Last edited by DarrenHD; 14 June 2021 at 18:35.
Old 15 June 2021, 00:18   #11
DarrenHD

Quote:
@Toni, attached are errors using PDS. This is while trying to format the ZIP drive. Note that sometimes the system works correctly for awhile, I can format, copy files, etc. Power off, then power back on, and I typically see these errors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	error3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	681.2 KB
ID:	72300   Click image for larger version

Name:	error2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	834.4 KB
ID:	72301   Click image for larger version

Name:	error1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	762.8 KB
ID:	72302  
Old 15 June 2021, 01:25   #12
DarrenHD

Quote:
@Toni

I removed the CDROM drive. Now the external ZIP drive is the only SCSI device connected. ZIP drive is set to unit 5 and I turned on it's termination switch.

Now some data in the error requestor. See attachment. Can you make anything from it?

Update: From what I can see on the SCSI sense Data Wikistix and one of your previous posts here on EAB:

x05 ILLEGAL REQUEST Indicates that:
the command was addressed to an incorrect logical unit number (see SAM-5);
the command had an invalid task attribute (see SAM-5);
the command was addressed to a logical unit whose current configuration prohibits processing the command;
there was an illegal parameter in the CDB; or
there was an illegal parameter in the additional parameters supplied as data for some commands (e.g., PERSISTENT RESERVE OUT).
If the device server detects an invalid parameter in the CDB, the device server shall terminate the command without altering the medium. If the device server detects an invalid parameter in the additional parameters supplied as data, then the device server may have already altered the medium.

Not sure what that really could mean :-/ source: https://www.stix.id.au/wiki/SCSI_Sense_Data and one of your previous posts: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=319

Thanks,
Darren
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	error4.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	867.5 KB
ID:	72306  

Last edited by DarrenHD; 15 June 2021 at 03:26.